Could you bring yourself to do it?

Could you?

• Total voters

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Hello everyone. I will start out by saying that I am pretty sure there MUST be a topic just like this; but I spent awhile searching with the search function and couldn't find it. So please don't get mad if this has already been posted, you have my apologizes :judo:)

Anyways, the point of my poll is to ask a rather serious question; do you think you could bring yourself to cut off 1 or more of your own limbs to try and save the one you love? The most obvious example would be guts cutting off his arm to save casca, but there have been real-world incidents of people doing the same thing to save someone they loved.

Now, don't try to be Mr super cool dude, acting like it wouldn't even phase you :p please, try to take it into serious consideration. I know its kind of hard to answer until you have actually been put into the position. I guess the question is how much pain are you willing to endure to rescue those you love?

On a side note, I also have another question for you all. Could you bring yourself to kill a former best-friend out of revenge? Or would you try to, but do you think past memories would cause you to fault?

Interested in hearing the replies :)

(also, if anyone is curious, I do think I could. Now I know this is sort of contradicting my previous statement of not being Mr cool dude, but I honestly think I could if someone I really loved was in dire danger. I would be hesitant, though; almost too hesitant to the point where it's almost not worth it, but I think in the end I could bring myself to it. It would be hard, though. Exspecially since the human brain doesn't want you to harm your own body, so when your choppin' away at your arm, your brain would be trying to stop you; which would cause even more agonizing pain because the process would go slower.

meh, discuss.

Re: Could you bring youself to do it?

No one could ever be really sure. I really can't imagine what it would be like.

On your side question however, I certainly can.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
As for myself I am not really sure. I could say yes, because it's a default that most are willing to endure pain in order to secure someone you care about. I just don't know up to what point. I think it matters when you are on that position, because you can speculate and wonder about it, but then when the real moment occurs, you have to be ready for it. I just have to experience it before I give any predictions.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Th3Branded0ne said:
I just don't know up to what point. I think it matters when you are on that position, because you can speculate and wonder about it, but then when the real moment occurs, you have to be ready for it. I just have to experience it before I give any predictions.

exactly; It's rather difficult to say until you are actually placed in the position to do so. Just give a rough estimate of if you were in the place, if you think (based on your own personality) if you would be willing/able to sacrifice something as needed as a limb. :guts:

I think the adrenaline would kick in to the point that you could do just about anything if they were important enough to you. Hypothetically assuming they are the uber love in my life at the moment, I am confident that my arm is coming off. I am crying like a pussy when the rush wears off, but I think it could get far enough to cut it off. At least I hope I'd make it that far.

mike.william said:
I am crying like a pussy when the rush wears off, but I think it could get far enough to cut it off. At least I hope I'd make it that far.

That is if you survive from the blood loss or don't pass out from it, but yea I think if were to come down to a situation like that you will be surprised what you can do under the circumstances.

Wraith King

I exist in the shadow of my unrealized dream
In life or death situations my policy is better you than me.. though that might change if it happens in one of my "sentimental episodes"

Noid

fuusshhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhHHHH
I I've posted that I couldn't do it, but I'm not sure. I don't know what I would feel in that dramatic situation; the fear, the pain... but I'm sure that human beings have been survived for hold that shit.

Exspecially since the human brain doesn't want you to harm your own body, so when your choppin' away at your arm, your brain would be trying to stop you; which would cause even more agonizing pain because the process would go slower.

Yes. If someone has try to cut a little his arm with a knife he can talk about how difficult it is. It's too difficult only just see some drops of blood. Not for the pain, it's more like you can't do pression for hurting your own arm. I suppose that with a sword wouldn't be easier because you should do it with some good chops (not only one, ouch...) and you would suffer a lot (and you could fall unconscious). And if the sword it's broken, I don't want to imagine :judo:.

Zelz said:
That is if you survive from the blood loss or don't pass out from it, but yea I think if were to come down to a situation like that you will be surprised what you can do under the circumstances.

Another question it's how you would do for survive and if you can do anything in that type of 'impossible of escape' moments or "die killing".

IsolatioN said:
On a side note, I also have another question for you all. Could you bring yourself to kill a former best-friend out of revenge? Or would you try to, but do you think past memories would cause you to fault?

Interested in hearing the replies :)

no i guess... i'm the childish kind who will still believe that he can be a friend again, once more

meeehhh~~

First, I would have to find someone worth doing it for. But then, that's a whole different topic.

Then, there was that guy who got his arm stuck under a boulder and cut it off with a pocket knife to go get help. I'm pretty sure he was alone, but I wouldnt be surprised if that guy would be able to do something like that again for someone he really cares about.

And the revenge thing... well, I'm probably too passive and lazy for that sort of thing. It's too much work, revenge. :carcus:

As of right now I dont know if there is anyone I would do it for. But I have loved enough to do it once before, so I think that if I really cared for the person I would do it. Also helps that I have high pain tollerance (not enough to say it doesnt hurt or anything, people who actually cant feel pain dont usually do well in this world.) but I think I would have a lot of trouble doing it due to the entire idea. Physically and emotionally yes, mentally I think I would have incredible difficulties.

Metalbolt

I'm on TV, so I must be True!
I voted yes. But that is taking into consideration a situation such as Guts'. In the real world? I dunno...maybe...would depend on the situation really.
As for Guts' situation, if I was thrown into it...well, my entire world just came crashing down before my eyes, as giant demonic hordes exist, and just killed my entire army, so life would be pretty backwards from how I know it...I think at that point, I would snap, and just do whatever...logic would no longer apply.

Could I kill for revenge? No, probably not...I'm not a vengefull kinda guy. Everyone gets theirs eventually.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
To the first one: I (and probably most people in the real world) would pass out before my arm came off unless I had a very sharp weapon and could get it off in one stroke. I'm not sure if I'd try though, but if it was life threatening then most likely.

To the second, hell yes. If anyone I knew did something like that I'd do whatever I could to kill them.

Mo

The Warrior
1. Hell yea - but the people I would do it for can be counted on hand. Someone you truly love, you'll die for - the limb will eventually grow back :guts:

2. I don't think I would try to kill a former best friend if they tried to kill me; it's not the memories or anything, it's just the fact that he probably still has some of my stuff at his house, I'd never get it back :serpico:

yota821 said:
No one could ever be really sure. I really can't imagine what it would be like.

On your side question however, I certainly can.
I will have to agree with yota. Human beings are always put to the test with life threatening situations and there is no way to know what decisions you will make at these times.

I think it all depends on how much do you love this woman, what is exactly the situation, etc, etc.

Your question needs to be far more detailed than this, same goes for your 'bonus-question'

So, I just can't answer. If I really love her and be in a situation (quiet hopeless) as Guts I would chop my arm off the most quick and painless way. (there wouldn't be any way like that, but.. ahh well your asking...)

conclusion: refine your question.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Well, I feel it's rather hard to re-define, because I never specified it was a woman you are doing it for. It's whoever you love most. So that could be a girlfriend/wife, mother, father, sibling, child.. It's all who you love the most in your life.

I don't see how the second question needs reffining, it's really quite simple: Could you bring yourself to kill a former friend out of revenge? Well I suppose you need to know what your motive is; lets say that your friend is the one who put your loved one at danger (ala Grifffith), could you later seek to kill them out of revenge?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
[quote author=Rickert]
Your question needs to be far more detailed than this, same goes for your 'bonus-question'

So, I just can't answer. If I really love her and be in a situation (quite hopeless) as Guts I would chop my arm off the most quick and painless way. (there wouldn't be any way like that, but.. ahh well your asking...)[/quote]

Yeah, it's situational. The arm-chopping is a question of pure nerve and staying concious, if your arm is not just trapped but pretty wrecked (as far as I know any RL situation where you'd *need* to cut your arm off, your arm is pretty much done for already), not to mention you probably need to do it to save *yourself* as well as your loved ones.

If it's Four Rooms style and you just have to make the desicion, not do the chopping, I might be able to do that. I have an extra arm after all, and prosthetics ain't half bad these days. Plus think of the uses.

"God damn it, won't you ever take out the trash?"
"Hey! I cut off my ARM for you!"

I guess that would wear thin eventually though.

Bonus question: Um. Hm. Well, probably not. I'm not violently vengeful. I'd just want to rob him.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:
I have an extra arm after all, and prosthetics ain't half bad these days. Plus think of the uses.

Yeah, I bet I'd want a panoply of hooks and claws like the bad guy (Han) in Enter the Dragon. :void:

Top Bottom