Could you bring yourself to do it?

Could you?

• Total voters

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HumanWeapon said:
A limb is nothing when your heart is being ripped out. I would have done the same without hessitation.

That's an easy thing to say on a message board, but it takes more than a noble heart to really do it.

Being noble has nothing to do with it. What is right? What is wrong? What is your WILL? Intestinal fortitude is surely a requirement for such a bold move, but its not even that. A man of action does not weigh out the pros and cons in a dire situation, he just reacts. I wont defend my character, you have no reason to believe me. Once a person comes to terms with their own mortality, they are not frightened of it. Bleeding to death, all manors of horrible torture, these are just physical. Of all the trauma I have experienced in my life the mental wounds are hardest to heal. A scene like the one in question is certainly unforgettable. What would i do to stop it? Anything possible. Why? Because the mental anguish caused by this horrid event is worse than any physical pain imaginable for me. A love so hard gained can not be so easily lost. Death would be an easy release from living hell. Revenge is hard gained.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
We're not talking about dying but cutting your own arm off while staying conscious. Like I said, talking about it and mental anguish and all that is easy, but actually doing it isn't.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Aazealh said:
We're not talking about dying but cutting your own arm off while staying conscious. Like I said, talking about it and mental anguish and all that is easy, but actually doing it isn't.

Going to have to side with Aaz on this. While I do think I would if I was plopped into this situation, there really is now way for sure to know unless you actually were. We can all talk about it on a forum, yes, but you never truly know. But I can appreciate your opinion and view, for I share the same outlook. But what I think Aaz is getting at is we can act all bad-ass on a forum but not truly know if we could actually bring ourselves to do it.

Plus not to mention I'm sure subconsciously your brain doesn't want you to cut your arm or any other limb off, making it drastically hard to get through the whole ordeal.

But this topic is really just an interpretation of your own personality, seeing weather or not (personality wise) you think you could do it :)

but yeah, guess I sort of agree with both haha.

Ever hear about the mountain climber who cut off his own arm in order to free himself from a rockslide? I have, and it was just his life on the line. No brutal rape scene to fuel his action, just self preservation. After being trapped between the rocks for several days he managed to cut through his arm with a dull swiss army knife. He then hiked 10 miles back to civilization for medical attention. This is a true story. Nevr underestimate the power of the human will. If you know you can do it, you can. Don't force your self doubt upon others.

Love this topic. Thank you for posting it! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HumanWeapon said:
What is right? What is wrong? What is your WILL? A man of action does not weigh out the pros and cons in a dire situation, he just reacts. ... Because the mental anguish caused by this horrid event is worse than any physical pain imaginable for me. A love so hard gained can not be so easily lost. Death would be an easy release from living hell. Revenge is hard gained.

Nevr underestimate the power of the human will. If you know you can do it, you can. Don't force your self doubt upon others.
preacher.jpg

You sure have made this topic PREACHY KEEN!​

Seriously, if you're so passionate about the power of human WILL, go chop off your own arm and post pics. Then, I'll definitely be forced to concede to your opinion. I know you can do it!

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
There is not much point in discussing such things really, since under extreme circumstances people tend to behave in the most incredible ways. From a car crash to a warlike situation, you can't really expect to behave as you would like to. Cutting off limbs and sacrifice in general is very easy to promise without actually knowing all the circumstances, just immagining the very moment when you hack an arm off with a pen or car keys.=D
Truth is - in very stressful situations it's automation that helps the most, meaning a trained mind. And there ain't much courses that teach you to chop off limbs. =D

Radzeke

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
No, this is very important and must be discussed right now! If my one and only true loved ones were in any kind of distress, I'd cut my own head off to save them! I'd rip my heart out! I'd sell my soul to Satan! I'd will myself to evolve and grow wings and fly to their rescue and rainbows would fly like streamers out of my ass! Like any kind of real man, I'm just a superhero without tights, and like Jesus I'll save everybody because I love them all with my true secret heart of gold and because I'm God's gift to humanity, the light of the World, amen. Praise the Lord, Me!     

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
SKuLL LoRD said:
Like any kind of real man, I'm just a superhero without tights, and like Jesus I'll save everybody because I love them all with my true secret heart of gold and because I'm God's gift to humanity, the light of the World, amen. Praise the Lord, Me!

Wow, he's channeling Father Alexander Anderssonggg. Nng. Who is in turn channeling Father McGruder from Dead Alive. Only with more arse kicking.

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
;D
skull lord you make me wanna be gay!

...and to answer the topic question: I think I could. But without superpowers, could you?

Mike_Mike

gotta love the post apocalypse parties
as for myself its hard to say unless directly put in the situation but from situations similar i think your body goes into a sort of automatic state from shock, stress, fear, and anger. thats sort of happened to me before where i was in a car accident and a friend of mine was trapped in a car after it flipped. there was no imminent danger like me being trapped or the car being on fire (but in my head i "knew" the car was gonna explode because all i could think of was what happens to cars in grand theft auto when they flip.....of course the car never blew up, lol). but i went straight for my friend and pulled em out and barely remembered what happened through the whole ordeal until alot later. so my guess is that you can probably do that sort of thing under similar circumstances as guts since you are running on pure adrenaline and half crazy from shock.

so yeah id say yes to both.

I could say right now it depends on the feeling of the moment. I mean if I was in guts situation, of course. As far as Guts knew he was about to die anyway. No matter how many limbs he suffered he wanted to make her pain as little as possible.

For me it would have to be something fairly dramatic to bring myself to that conclusion. It depends on adrenaline. Some people can control it and use it to their advantage, think completely clear work on instinct. Then theres the people who go into shock from so much power. You never know you could very well not even be thinking about the fact that your losing a limb. Just that something is holding you back and you need to be free of that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mike_Mike said:
i went straight for my friend and pulled em out and barely remembered what happened through the whole ordeal until alot later.

so yeah id say yes to both.
It was a brave thing for you to do for your friend, but you should know that after a car accident, where many injuries are of the spine, the worst thing you can do is to move the victim, or jostle them around. It can further damage the spine. This often happens to victims who've experienced whiplash, which can even occur after a fender bender (minor accident).

osca said:
I could say right now it depends on the feeling of the moment.
What a bunch of romantics... Most of us, when put in the situation of the Ice Climber who hacked his own arm off, would probably just rationalize the situation by thinking: "help will come. I'll be fine," and wait until we were frozen to death. It takes a special combination of courage, self-preservation and insanity to what that guy, and Guts did.

It's for this reason that the event is noteworthy; it's not something just anyone is capable of doing.

Mike_Mike

gotta love the post apocalypse parties
Walter said:
It was a brave thing for you to do for your friend, but you should know that after a car accident, where many injuries are of the spine, the worst thing you can do is to move the victim, or jostle them around.  It can further damage the spine.  This often happens to victims who've experienced whiplash, which can even occur after a fender bender (minor accident).

yeah thats totally true i could have killed him if he had back damage but during the whole thing all i could think of was "fuck its gonna explode, shit i gotta get him out, shit shit shit." more or less.

but basically i think common sense just flies out the window unless you are mentally prepared to just keep your cool.

Top Bottom