Miura interviews

Well, I have found some Miura statements from the Berserk Ilustration File interview; if I manage to find the rest, I'll post it here.

"The most disturbing parts of my story are taken from the high medieval period, while those that confer a glorious impression are drawn from the period represented by Versailles. They are different epochs. To come to the point, I have created a new period by uniting diverse characteristics of the Middle Ages, from its beginning to its end. At the start, I thought of having Gatsu wandering through Europe during the period of Dracula and Joan of Arc, but I abandoned the idea because I decided that creating a story that followed real history would limit my imagination."

"I insisted strongly on the idea of the giant sword, and I carefully designed the arm cannon, which at the beginning was going to be only a crossbow. The image of a warrior with only one eye is pretty common... but the great sword and the arm are my own touch. I belong to the generation of Hokuto no Ken, when, rather than the development of the story and the characters, it was a priority to create something unique. I thought about it a lot, and finally I got the idea of creating something gigantic, that is, an enormous sword..."
"As far as the battles, my idea is that Gatsu and his sword should be able to beat anyone with just one blow. I considered this image most important, even if someone could protest that my combat is too unreal. I sought to be spectacular, even if I will never put in a leap in the air like in Kenshiro...(he says this with a laugh) "

"I get up at seven or eight in the evening. I start to work at eight-thirty or nine. After some work, I eat and start again. The next break comes at three to three-thirty. At six in the morning I eat my last meal of the day (day?!) after which I work until midday. When there's a lot to do, I work until two or three in the afternoon. I live like a vampire, but I often think I am cut out to be a comic writer as few others are: I don't have any problem with a hard life without vacations, because it's orderly, but I have trouble concentrating during difficult periods."

This statement, instead, is contained in an interview on the magazine "Jappamondo":

"The information that we have in Japan on Western fantasy is a little strange. The Japanese are without a doubt the Asian population that most likes European fantasy... Most Japanese children have more familiarity with knights in armor than with samurai... Fantasy corresponds to magic of the sword. I also, as far as I can recall, grew up with this vision. In designing my manga fantasy, I want to create stories that make the reader a participant. When I examine the sensations that make up the story, I find myself naturally in medieval Europe. Naturally it isn't the real Middle Ages, but a false image, recreated from Europe at that time, which wins great success today in an Oriental country like Japan. Probably, samurai or ninjas designed by a Westerner would seem bizarre to Japanese eyes, but perhaps the medieval world of Berserk appears strange to Western eyes, isn't it so?"

OK, that is all: enjoy!

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
"I get up at seven or eight in the evening. I start to work at eight-thirty or nine. After some work, I eat and start again. The next break comes at three to three-thirty. At six in the morning I eat my last meal of the day (day?!) after which I work until midday. When there's a lot to do, I work until two or three in the afternoon. I live like a vampire, but I often think I am cut out to be a comic writer as few others are: I don't have any problem with a hard life without vacations, because it's orderly, but I have trouble concentrating during difficult periods."

Miura IS a vampire. I used to work during the graveyard hours and let me tell you, it was not freakin easy :( It took a toll on my stamina. But then again, I must remember that Miura loves what he does :p

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
he also said he makes about 6 drawings a day (night), enjoys to drink coffee until his stomach hurts, that's when he switches to tea, then to water, and when he feels alright again he goes back to coffee, and... it doesn't disturb him having friends in his house that play video games just near him while he draws, he says it makes concentrating even easier for him... ;)

puella

Berserk forever
All I can say is Miura said that Enya was his favorite singer in the interview in 1995. I guess he really loves European tones!

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...
Miura is fleißig wie eine biene und ausdauernd wie ein duracell Hase.
In other words he is incredible.

puella

Berserk forever
I've just heard about Miura's interview.

Once a reporter asked Miura "Christianity has nothing to do with berserk as we see but why did you put the cross in it?"
Miura answered "It's not me. Maybe one of my assistants did that but I don't know"

Is this true? ::)

I've just heard about Miura's interview.
Once a reporter asked Miura "Christianity has nothing to do with berserk as we see but why did you put the cross in it?"
Miura answered "It's not me. Maybe one of my assistants did that but I don't know"
Is this true?  ::)
Yeah, I remember that one. They were talking about a cross you could see in one of the first volumes.
The problem being: there are no crosses in the Berserk universe. ^_^;

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
Other than what Olivier pointed out, there aren't any crosses that we identify christianity/catholicism with in Berserk, but the dead dove nailed onto the stick sure has the shape of a cross and that image also reminds me of someone else who also was nailed onto a piece of wood. There are influences but just not too specific.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
Miura IS a vampire. I used to work during the graveyard hours and let me tell you, it was not freakin easy :( It took a toll on my stamina. But then again, I must remember that Miura loves what he does :p
Posted by: Olivier Hague on: Today at 5:59am
The problem being: there are no crosses in the Berserk universe. ^_^;
Of course, since Miura is a vampire...

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
The real reason that there are differences (not substantial ones, mind you) between a certain widely spread religion and the one praticed in the manga is that Miura, probably, want to spare himself some trouble since that religion is not treated very well in the manga ( e.g. think Mozgus,think the priest of 204 and those are only two examples) and someone could take offense.

Instead so he can tell what he wish since he is telling about a religion that he himself did invent for the manga.

The real reason that there are differences (not substantial ones, mind you) between a certain widely spread religion and the one praticed in the manga is that Miura, probably, want to spare himself some trouble since that religion is not treated very well in the manga ( e.g. think Mozgus,think the priest of 204 and those are only two examples) and someone could take offense.
In Japan? I'm not sure about that...

D

Drachenfels

He didn't use Christianity simply because the story plays in his own world, which is very much like the middle ages, but not 100% the same.

mpd_psycho

b e L I E v e
he is incerdible...to work like that... :-X...but still only to produce one tankoubon every 6 months....now i can imagine how hard it is to create a manga as detailed as berserk...

Top Bottom