Episode 268

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Rhombaad said:
Thanks Bakou, firewithin and GoHF!  Great episode, as usual.  I love the shot of Guts on page 7 and would love it if someone would be kind enough to color it.
Shazzam! This episode will keep me busy for a while.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Awesome episode, thanks guys!

Going back a bit to the "Blaze Rod" concept... I thought about it over and over, coming up with nothing. Finally, on a whim, I decided to look up "wheel" in other languages. Here is what surfaced:

Latin: Rota
German: Rad
French: Roue
Italian: Rotella
Portuguese: Roda
Spanish: Rueda

This can't be coincidence... can it? :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Graywords said:
This can't be coincidence... can it? :schierke:

I think it can. Especially since "blaze" is an English word, and ロッド is translated as "rod" in Japanese. I doubt Miura would use words from different languages in such a fashion.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Aazealh said:
I think it can. Especially since "blaze" is an English word, and ロッド is translated as "rod" in Japanese. I doubt Miura would use words from different languages in such a fashion.

Consider, though, that the Kanji used for "blaze rod" mean "blaze wheel". In other words, the katakana are changing the Japanese symbol "wheel" into "rod"... without that one piece of evidence, I'd think it's a coincidence, myself.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Graywords said:
Consider, though, that the Kanji used for "blaze rod" mean "blaze wheel".

Yeah, I said that in the first post of this thread. It doesn't change anything to what I just posted.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Ah, my bad, I thought it might have been a momentary memory lapse.... ^_^;

I just don't see how the english "rod" would fit... aside from the possibility of what Puella said earlier in the thread. And it would make sense to me if "rod" or something that sounds like it were actually just "wheel" in another language. We know how fond Miura is of using other languages... although I'm not certain he'd mix languages, as you said. Still... there may be the word "blaze" in other languages... so perhaps the whole string is not English....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Graywords said:
it would make sense to me if "rod" or something that sounds like it were actually just "wheel" in another language.

Yeah I know, but what language? Besides, I'm convinced Miura wouldn't mix two different languages, and both words are English... Seems very unlikely to me.

OMG, i think i totally found something!
it's like the Da Vinci Code only, like, not. like the Miura Code! it's incredible.

I was following Grayword's lead and looking up fire in other languages, right? I mean, seems genius to me. Anyway, this is the FIRST language i tried and look at the response!

Dutch
fire = BRAND

OMGWTF!?!?!?!

THIS IS CRAZY!

puella

Berserk forever
I've also been crazily looking for the proper meaning of "Blaze Rod" from any source I could. :guts:
I found they call "a cane(staff) of a magician" a rod in several Japanese games related to magic. There are many magic weapons and among them, Blaze Rod existed. I checked a Japanese computer game called "Brandish" produced by FALCOM. Blaze Rod was also in the handbook of that game. It's categorized as a "cane(staff)" and it says: A cane(staff) which can call for the power of the fire elemental. When a user holds it tight and concentrates all of his magic on it, he can invoke a fire elemental.
And there is also a sword named "Blaze Rod" from another game which is some kind of fire sword.
I think some of you already know about them. But I want to say that this episode title could be related to these.
At first, I went for the idea of "Rod" meaning a punishment related to a Buddhist notion like I said earlier and like the title kanji 火炎輪 would imply.
This time I came up with another simple idea: Blaze Rod could refer to the magic Schierke casts in the episode.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Slightly Green said:
you're not making any sense tonight.

give the peace pipe a break and just sleep it off.

Please. :griff:

I don't think I've made any sense on these forums in the past six months. ^^; It's why I don't post that much.

And as for your second post... I think I'm gonna have to cry myself to sleep again. :judo: =p

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Graywords said:
I don't think I've made any sense on these forums in the past six months. ^^; It's why I don't post that much.

Hehe, take it easy man. :serpico: Anyway, this "rod" business is indeed puzzling, but I don't see any plausible explanation outside of what puella posted for now.

PS: Schierke's putting Guts' rod on fire? =X

Slightly Green said:
OMG, i think i totally found something!
it's like the Da Vinci Code only, like, not. like the Miura Code! it's incredible.

I was following Grayword's lead and looking up fire in other languages, right? I mean, seems genius to me. Anyway, this is the FIRST language i tried and look at the response!

Dutch
fire = BRAND

OMGWTF!?!?!?!

THIS IS CRAZY!

hmm; FIRE literally means VUUR in the dutch language.
It means exactly the same, but the word is different (synonim(sp?)

ahhh..anyway..

wunwong

NOw...To gEt mY hANds uNstUcK.....
the kanji for what you guys are calling 'rod' is just 'wheel'. It's probably just refering to the fact a flaming wheel is gonna crush a lot of baddies in the episode.

I'm kinda worried how Schierke's going to run over all those burning bodies without her robes catching fire. :isidro:

Would be cute if Guts carried her. :serpico:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Mista_B said:
I'm kinda worried how Schierke's going to run over all those burning bodies without her robes catching fire. :isidro:

Would be cute if Guts carried her. :serpico:

Well, I could see her needing to be carried, but not because they're afraid she'll catch on fire.

Because she's magically exhausted?

I'm half expecting her to have suffered quite a few burns from posessing something like that thing. I can certainly see Isidro getting worried about her if that's the case, though I doubt *he'd* be able to carry her. Hehe, would be funny to see him try.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mista_B said:
Because she's magically exhausted?

Or simply exhausted (out of mana?! :void:). Not to mention the fact that Guts interrupted her trance rather brutally.

Mista_B said:
I'm half expecting her to have suffered quite a few burns from posessing something like that thing.

Entering a trance and fusing with a spirit isn't supposed to harm the caster in such a case (she didn't get drenched in Enoch). She was surrounded by salamanders but she doesn't seem to be suffering any damage apart from some dirt on her face. The others could have been affected on the contrary.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
In response to Graywords:

The coincidence exists in the fact that Latin influenced all of the other languages mentioned in your post. :SK:

Thanks to everyone who made the scans available. You guys are alright.

Aazealh said:
Entering a trance and fusing with a spirit isn't supposed to harm the caster in such a case (she didn't get drenched in Enoch).

True - although, the sudden inturruption of that trance by Gutts wrenching her off her feet still worries me. I remember then the caution about even touching her when she was in trance, let alone throwing her out of the way of a fire wheel.

Top Bottom