Episode 268

I wonder how much longer Schierke gets to own like this before Ishidoro gets completely emasculated and tries to kill her. I know I'd be pissed if I was him. She even took his salamanders for a little bit.

Heh, I think he's just envious of her power, always making him seem weak.

Heh, right in this episode, he burned his hands trying to rescue her. He really is starting to care for her.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
mike.william said:
I wonder how much longer Schierke gets to own like this before Isidro gets completely emasculated and tries to kill her. I know I'd be pissed if I was him. She even took his salamanders for a little bit.

Well they're not his salamanders... And I don't think he's so immature that he'd be resentful about her magic in the future. He seems to have accepted it.

Mista_B said:
Heh, I think he's just envious of her power, always making him seem weak.

It makes everybody seem weak...

wunwong

NOw...To gEt mY hANds uNstUcK.....
Aazealh said:
How about you actually read what people say before posting useless stuff? That'd be great.

I am just trying to say that a simple explanation is best. Just because Miura had a different katakana title doesn't mean much. A lot of japanese games and stories seem to do that when they title stuff, sometimes for foreign consumption, sometimes because they like having 2 titles. You should see what happens to Bastard translations into chinese...the heavy metal names all gets crossed out.

Anyways, sorry if that earlier post wasn't useful to you, I was sleepy when i posted so it didn't quite come out like it should.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DFInc said:
I am just trying to say that a simple explanation is best. Just because Miura had a different katakana title doesn't mean much. A lot of japanese games and stories seem to do that when they title stuff

Yes it does mean much because Miura doesn't do things for no reason. Berserk isn't "a lot of Japanese games" and out of all the episodes so far he never came up with an inappropriate katakana title. He's always very careful when using katakana like this and makes it so that it's complementary with the corresponding kanji, not uselessly redundant. There are countless examples in the manga. The best explanation is the correct one, and that's why people try to find what it could refer to. If you don't think it matters it's good for you, you can overlook the discussion. But posting just to repeat something everybody's been knowing about from the beginning as if it was the perfect answer was unnecessary, especially since it had been stated again and again and wasn't even the topic. And frankly, it didn't look like you had put any reflexion in it either, hence my response. What's done is done anyway, no need to insist on the matter any further.

DFInc said:
You should see what happens to Bastard translations into chinese...the heavy metal names all gets crossed out.

I don't care to be honest.

wunwong

Aazealh said:
Yes it does mean much because Miura doesn't do things for no reason. Berserk isn't "a lot of Japanese games" and out of all the episodes so far he never came up with an inappropriate katakana title. He's always very careful when using katakana like this and makes it so that it's complementary with the corresponding kanji, not uselessly redundant. There are countless examples in the manga. The best explanation is the correct one, and that's why people try to find what it could refer to.

Sure I get your point that Miura is pretty careful with the titling in general, though I still haven't seen a falcon in the story despite there being a millenium Falcon arc. Did you guys ever finish figuring out why the Falcon bit? I get the Millenium part, but not the bird type.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DFInc said:
Sure I get your point that Miura is pretty careful with the titling in general, though I still haven't seen a falcon in the story despite there being a millenium Falcon arc.

The "Millennium Falcon" ("千年帝国の鷹") is a reference to Griffith, who as you might know is referred to as "鷹" (meaning "falcon" (falconidae family) or "hawk" in English) in the story, and is a member of the God Hand that has been incarnated on earth, which is a process that happens only every 1000 years. It's also a pun referring to Star Wars.

It's all over the manga basically and that's why people here never even had to figure it out, so if you haven't noticed it I suggest a complete re-reading.

Griffith08.jpg

wunwong

Aazealh said:
The "Millennium Falcon" ("千年帝国の鷹") is a reference to Griffith, who as you might know is referred to as "鷹" (meaning "falcon" (falconidae family) or "hawk" in English) in the story, and is a member of the God Hand that has been incarnated on earth, which is a process that happens only every 1000 years. It's also a pun referring to Star Wars.

It's all over the manga basically and that's why people here never even had to figure it out, so if you haven't noticed it I suggest a complete re-reading.

Really? I didn't realize that Hawk and Falcons are suppose to be the same in this case.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DFInc said:
Really? I didn't realize that Hawk and Falcons are suppose to be the same in this case.

It's the same word in Japanese (and in Korean, and French, etc). Besides, Miura uses the word "falcon" in katakana, as in the current chapter: Falconia. The English word "hawk" isn't written anywhere in the manga, although it's what is commonly used to refer to the "Taka no Dan" (in English).

FalconofLight.jpg

See? A falcon.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
Trashcan said:
In response to Graywords:

The coincidence exists in the fact that Latin influenced all of the other languages mentioned in your post.  :SK:

Thanks to everyone who made the scans available. You guys are alright.

Mm, yes, I realize this.  I guess the coincidence I was trying to point out was the mere fact that "Rota" and its relatives are VERY close to "roddo" in katakana.  But as Aazealh pointed out, validly, that would mean mixing two languages... what with "blaze" being English, and "rota" not being so.  Also, using the kana "roddo" for the Latin "rota" is nonetheless a stretch. ^^;

So unless the word "blaze" exists in any of those languages (maybe German?) there's not much validity in what I said.  I'm back at the drawing board currently, but I'm still brainstorming.

Truthfully I'm probably thinking too much into it. It's probably just a reference to Schierke waving her staff to control the huge wheel of fire. :schierke:

Top Bottom