Saddest moment in Berserk

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Hey guys. I was just curious to what you thought was the saddest moment in Berserk? (I am aware of only one topic somewhat similar http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2916.0 but that topic was intended to discuss emotions in Berserk, so I hope this is okay).

Anyways, personally I find the absolute saddest part in the series so far for me was when Guts wakes up after the Eclipse and rushes to Casca telling her its okay/its all over. He's just so relieved she's safe, and then boom. The woman he loves and cut his own arm off to try and save doesn't even remember him, and even worse, is frightened of him. That panel where guts is leaving the cave and looks over his shoulder at rickert, some blood (or was it tears?) coming out of his damaged eye.. then he runs off through the woods.

That scene was the saddest/most emotional moment for me, which is kind of strange since the Eclipse had a much bigger impact.

so what really made you guy's "heart's sink"?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
That scene was the saddest/most emotional moment for me, which is kind of strange since the Eclipse had a much bigger impact.
That's not strange. Everyone needs time and seperation from an event of such magnitude as the eclipse to process the events. This is also the most emotional scene in the series for me: Guts acknowledging what has happened as he runs away from the cave, remembering the Hawks, and all the good and bad times they had together.

The scenes themselves, the emotion we remember with them and on top of that, Guts' expression during the whole ordeal... It's heartbreaking stuff.

Man, I hope you don't stop walking too fast Walter... :carcus:

As for me, there are many sad parts, it would take billions of years to figure out the saddest. :isidro:

- C

PS. Smile CnC, I like ya!!!!!!!!! :guts:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
It was a long long time ago now, but Guts' slaying of and insta-remorse over li'l Adonis struck me the hardest of anything in the series so far.

I guess just because it's not such an over-the-top situation and it's easy to empathise with Guts in his horror over killing someone he felt empathy for.

If Kid-With-Toy-Knight is Griff's symbolic death, Adonis is totally Guts's.

For me, it was easily the reunion in the dungeon. They find his cell thinking hope has returned and it couldn't have been worse. Really got to me when Guts breaks into tears while holding Griffith who obviously looks terrible. Made me watery eyed.

I had already seen the Anime before the Manga, but it didn't have the same amount of emotional impact.

IsolatioN said:
Anyways, personally I find the absolute saddest part in the series so far for me was when Guts wakes up after the Eclipse and rushes to Casca telling her its okay/its all over. He's just so relieved she's safe, and then boom. The woman he loves and cut his own arm off to try and save doesn't even remember him, and even worse, is frightened of him. That panel where guts is leaving the cave and looks over his shoulder at rickert, some blood (or was it tears?) coming out of his damaged eye.. then he runs off through the woods.

I agree too, I think is one of the saddest moments in Berserk.

I also think that the whole part when Guts and Casca are traveling together after Griffith rebirth is really sad, more so after he tried to kill Casca and she starts refusing him again. I found the episode when Isidro, Farnese and Serpico join Guts is really sad and frustrating ;_;

Record Low

1 person makes the difference
hmm, i think all of those are very good but i think another good one if u played the dream cast game with the mandrogoras near the end.....when caska gains recollection of her old self and says she had a bad dream....Guts was struck hard when she talked.....then she faded back into her childish self.....that was a hard moment for Guts to bear. although this might not be the best i think its still pretty sad.

Guts running around arbitrarily after the eclipse was the saddest to me also.

Second would probably be the part where the hawks are gathered in front of Casca and finally coming to the realization that Griffith is gonna have to be babysat the rest of his life and the BOTH is finished.

I'd agree with that.

I also gotta say, from way back in Gut's past, when his adoptive father (sorry, I forget his name - I'm a bad fan! :isidro: ) tries to kill him, Guts kills him instead in self defense, and everyone turns on him. Struck me pretty hard, anyway.

G

God Hand

Well has anyone forgotten during the eclipse in hell, when caska was carrying judeau and he wanted to tell her he loved her but it wasn't in the cards and he died protecting her and then he fell to the ground and never got to tell her his feelings, his last words were"you cry alot when you're alone, don't you? I thought that was a very sad part because judeau sacrificed his feelings for Gattsu and Caska because he saw a future for them.

G

God Hand

Well the whole concept is like hell basically, but during the eclipse i just call it hell because griffith wonders if it is hell and Guts thinks it's hell and well, it pretty much is a layer of hell in a way

Wraith King

I exist in the shadow of my unrealized dream
yota821 said:
Actually his last words were "you sure do cry a lot, don't you?".   :judo: :judo:

He said ["you cry a lot when you're alone, don't you? .....]  in the anime - the english dub anyways dont know about sub....

anyways in the anime id have to say the death of Adonis and the reaction to it.. Hassan's in particular..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
God Hand said:
it pretty much is a layer of hell in a way

No, it's not hell, nor a layer of hell. Hell is different in Berserk, it's called the Vortex of Souls. You can read about it in volume 3.

Wraith King said:
He said ["you cry a lot when you're alone, don't you? .....] in the anime - the english dub anyways dont know about sub....

Yota821 is correct. He speaks Japanese and thus knows what he's talking about. Also, the only acceptable source is the manga.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I'm re-reading volume 11... this is quite possibly the saddest volume. Episode 67 in particular :judo:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Unfortunately, I haven't really read past Volume 11 (I've only been able to go with the Dark Horse releases and the translation of Volume 11), but the saddest moment from what I've actually read had to be when the Hawks find Griffith in the dungeon. I mean, this has been stated before, but taking a previous volume and comparing it to this particular scene is quite disheartening. Even so, it was mostly his body that was terribly disturbing. While his face was covered by the mask for the most part, its outline seemed relatively plump and healthy :griff: (But that's an opinion for another thread).

Coming in close second is a related scene, with Guts' one-on-one conversation with Griffith in the carriage in Volume 11. I just thought it was sad when Griffith tried to pick up the sword, but wasn't able to due to the results of his torture.

God Hand said:
Well has anyone forgotten during the eclipse in hell, when Casca was carrying judeau and he wanted to tell her he loved her but it wasn't in the cards and he died protecting her and then he fell to the ground and never got to tell her his feelings, his last words were"you cry alot when you're alone, don't you? I thought that was a very sad part because judeau sacrificed his feelings for Guts and Casca because he saw a future for them.
Judeau's death scene was extremely sad to me, at first. I later realized that he got the most noble death of all the Hawks during the Eclipse, IMO.

He didn't deserve to die, of course, but he got the best death that he could have in that situation.

probably the saddest moment ever in berserk would be when Caska is raped by Femto and Guts had to watch it happen. Probably it was terrible for Guts especially since he was trying to save her.

For me in the anime it was when guts cuts his arm off, and then getting pinned down again that one was definetly sad. Then again when Guts is in disbelief that Griffith sacrificed all of them. That was pretty disheartening too.

Top Bottom