Berserk R1 VA dub cast as of episode 5

Rod_Su

I might be crazier than you think.
Someone over at animeondvd.com forum got the DVD early, and posted the cast list. The dub is done by NYAV post, whose previous title include Magic Users Club and Knight Hunters.

Guts - Mark Diraison
Griffith - Kevin Collins
Caska - Carolyn Keranen
Corkus - Mark Sebastian
Judeau - Cris Kromer
Ricket - Michelle Newman

Pipin - Jeff Ward
Void - John Avner
Collette - Michel O'Medlin

Oldman/Minister - Richard Springle
Snake Baron/Merchant - Lex Wutas
Aide - Sean Schemmel

Dean - Daryl Bowling
Igole - Jeff Ward
Innkeeper - Jeff Swarthout

Bazuso - Patrick Transor
Mustached Baron - Robert Krakowski
Gambino - Robert Krakowski

Young Guts - Maria Dente
Kind of Midland - Jeff Swarthout
Adon - Mike Pollock

Yurius - Dick Blunting
Bosogn - Richard Springle
Gennon - Fred Velde
Gaston - Sean Schemmel

Rod_Su

arent these the same folks who do the DBZ Dub??

WE'RE
FUCKING
DOOMED

No. DBZ dub has been done by two groups. The initial batch done by Ocean Groups up in Vancuver, and FUNimation has in-house dub group who did the rest of DB & DBZ dub.

Their dub of the hybrid shoujo/shonen fantasy show Magic Users Club is one of the best from last year.

Magus-Himself

Confessions of a Mask...
*Grumble*

Can't seem to find any info/web sites for any of the voice actors or this "NYAV post" studios....

*Grumble*

:(

CnC

Ad Oculos
well i don't know any of these people... it will be interesting how they sound. Isn't Sean Schemmel a DBZ guy?

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
He is indeed, I spoke with him on DBZ chat once....... he liked my name 'Unleash the Afro' I felt to cool 8)

crematorium01

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
stop jumping to conclusions, here's my short review (taken from another post on a different MB)

I beg to differ, I just watched teh first episode and It thought the dub was very good. Yes the script has problems, but the voiced are pretty killer.
I do agree that Gats's screams are a little too cracky and high pitched and not enough BRRAAHH!!!!!!!!!!! but it's pretty good over all.

I'm not too keen on the dude that says the transcendental force thing ont he beginning of the second ep. Too fucking corny, I have yet to hear the rest of the characters, but the first episode was good.

Another thing, I think when Gats was in the forest, the voices of the demons are good, but I think the growling voice should have been on top of the regular deep voice. Also the laughs were very comical. Sounded like Dr. Evil lol.

The_Stick

"Shoot for the moon. That way, if you miss it
Ah, I thought the first episode of the dub was dumb.  The other episodes after that were good though.  The quality of the DVD is real good too.  Its like the animation was newly drawn.     :eek:

On the first episode, I thought the corrupt guards that harass Colette sounded like rednecks laughing all cocky/corny.

I also do agree with you on the narrator's voice of the second episode beginning that sounded corney.  He kind of sounds like some rather eccentric aristocratic Brit guy.

yeah I think the Jap lang of Gut's roar's are better and yes the encounter with God-hand in the woods was rather hilarious like.    I liked the Jap language one better though.  I thought that original sounded more dramatic.  Guts didn't roar enough when he struck at Griffith/Femto's image.        

The same goes for the Snake Barron's agony when he's shot in the face with Gut's cannon. Its so dumb sounding, its not convincing enough that he's in pain like the original had it.

But I do like some of the script changes.  Like in the second episode, where Griffith tells Caska to not interfere with his duel with Guts on the hill, "I always get what I want,"  Gut's dubbed character's next line is "I've had enough of this bullshit ;D" then he charges yelling...."YOU MAKE ME SICK!"  instead of the script in the Japanese language that reads:  "That's the kind of attitude that I hate!" ;)  

Also I noticed that when Griffith tells Guts he wants him, the dub actually says it where nobody thinks Griffith is gay or something.  "I want you to join me Guts."

The Jap language script was just "I want you Guts." and stuff like "I like you."      

But over all I think the dub has yet to improve better.  I still give it a chance, although I think I would enjoy the original language instead.  

Just got the dvd and the dub is not good. :(
Their was also a small problem with the translation, instead of using Apostle they used Servant.

crematorium01

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I personally enjoyed teh dub overall. I do perfer the japanese version though. Always have and always will. SUB is just better all the time.

Also, let me point out some more things I didn't like:
The character are just way to fucking formal. WHen guts is in the forest in the first ep he says "LET ME BE!" as aposed to "STOP IT!" from the OG version. Or was it "NO"? one of the two, but Gats never said Let me Be int he japanese verion.

Things I do like:
The serpent monster in the first episode, before he got burned had a killer voice. I think it was just as good as the japanese version. I really liked it.

A certain script change also. I can't remember which episdoe, but it was after Gats goes into battle alone (ep3 I think) when Caska calls for Gats, Pippin (I think) is covering some guys mouth. In the japanese version he says nothing in the DUB he says "OHH SHIT!" but very mumbled. I thought that was very funny.

THat's all for now.

CnC

Ad Oculos
the dub doesn't need to be dead-on perfect... as long as the DVD's got the japanese side to it theres little room to complain.  don't like the dub? change langauages...

also... "let me be" is easier to get out of "damare" than "no" :)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
By the sounds of it they have fucked it up a little bit on the old dub. But still, it will be bearable. I think I will be watching it in Japanese if it sucks, but still... Berserk is gonna be ace on DVD ;D

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
I'd buy it out of second nature BECAUSE I have the HK set.

Sure, the translation of the bootleg was very good, but the timing was pretty abysmal.

Then again, I'm the type who'd buy the domestic box just for the pretty pictures in it... =D~

Rod_Su

Just got the dvd and the dub is not good. :(
Their was also a small problem with the translation, instead of using Apostle they used Servant.

I recheck the original. The word Apostle wasn't used until the third story arc.

kameshell

trying is the first step towards failure
The English Dub is bad. The actors don't put any feelings into their voice, voices don't match up with the physical or personality of the characters, and even the dialog was bad. In the second episode, a lot my favorite lines were killed by the fact that the actor didn't put any emotions into it and read wrong.

I thought the voice acting the 'Sword of the Berserk' was better than this. Thank God the Japanese dialog is still on there, because I'll be watching it with that on the next times.

I'm so pissed that they fucked up on my favorite lines. The scene were Young Gutz is about to be attacked by the Wolfs and that whole sequence where Gutz & Griffith battle each other.

I think it's pretty funny how everyone is still whining about how the english dub 'is horrible, blah blah' and I really have to ask why?  Switch to Japanese language and put up the subtitles!  They used servant instead of apostle!  HERESY!  Even though they mean pretty much the SAME THING!  :-X
And I'm not defending the dub, btw. Far from it. I think of dubs as an extra on the DVD, laugh at the funny parts/bad parts, switch back to Japanese. It's not hard :)

The_Mysterious_N

Hai Yai Forces
I'm not a huge fan of the dub but it did have it's bright spots. My favorite line is when Guts says "Say it again. Say it again if you dare." The biggest problem is every other person sounds like Goku to me. The worst script change was the I want you to be my soldier line. When they put it like that I think the lines loses its power, why would Guts be surprised if he just wanted him as a soldier? Please tell me it wasn't censored because if it was how will they hide the whole Griffith Gennon thingy. It doesn't look the Manga will ever get released in the states because it's way more hardcore. And that's so laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Is it just me or do they try to make Griffith waaaaaaaay too sophisticated? Ah well, I'm done babbling.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
??? Censored? I think you have the wrong idea man. When Griffith said "I want you" he was saying that he wanted him as part of his army. Go ahead and flush whatever homophobe thoughts that initally come from hearing "I want you" down the drain because I ASSURE YOU that is not what was intended.

The gennon thing? Umm... what other explanation do you need other than that Griffith slept with him for money?

Yeah, I also thought they made Griffs voice too sophisticated. There are so many scenes towards the beginning when he was supposed to sound more light hearted, but the actor turned it into bullshit serious stuff.. yum.

PS: You werent blabbing.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
??? Censored? I think you have the wrong idea man. When Griffith said "I want you"

does he say: "I want you" or does he say "I want you to be my soldier". cuz the second one really sounds stupid. Guts is more to Griffith than just a soldier for his army.

Graywords

Bettychu, I choose YOU!
The biggest problem is every other person sounds like Goku to me.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't Gaston's voice actor a Goku VA as well? Listen to the outtakes on the DVD...

Top Bottom