Favorite fights, battles, and duels

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Well I know this has been posted in the past, but I would like to make a new one due to the new active members, and that I dont wanna revive a thread that old. Also I know that this belongs in Berserk Misc., but no one really goes there anyways.

Favorite fight, heh. I loved the battle between Gutts and Morguz. Not just the fighting (even though it was kick ass), but the context too, about faith and the people being sheep. And also the whole idea too, of guts as a demon and mozgus as an angel in the begining, and then morguz as the demon and guts as the, well, good guy, in the end. I love reading it over and over again...

nir085

Horse and Armor
And I was half expecting this thread to be about the current Shootin' the Breeze debacle ;).

Man, this is like picking a favorite son (for those who practice polygamy, at least).

I love all of the Guts battles but none of his fights is my favorite battle/duel/fight in the series. The fights that give me the greatest rush are definitely the neo-Band of the Hawk battles. Among those battles, I don't know whether to pick their first battle, the battle in which Mule met them, or the Ganishka battle. Not to mention the raiding of Flora's tree house. Guts, Skull Knight, Grunbeld, and Zodd all fighting in one place is unforgettable. As is an apostle Grunbeld fighting against Guts in Berserker armor. All the neo-BOTH battles were amazing though. All the Apostles were amazing. Hehe, I loved how Griffith just rode up to the Kushan General without speaking a word and just stuck his sword in his head. That is by far Griffith's coolest move yet.

The best anime fight, though, is Guts vs. Zodd hands down.

The 100 man fight was overrated in my opinion. But still entertaining, as always.

By the way, just so you know, it's "Mozgus". At first I thought you meant "Morgan".

Guts as the Black swordsman fighting Zodd in volume 22 is my favourite, in anime good fight scenes can be found if you look but its much harder to find good fight scenes on paper.

Action scenes in alot of manga can be done poorly, though I always thought the drawn action choreography in Berserk is more superior then any other manga I have come across.

In the fight between Zodd and Guts the movements are well put together and are obviously well thought out, then there is the story of them finally meeting after 2 years finally, in other words it was fucking sweet.

Demented Swordsman

so I pranked him.. to death with a tire iron!
I'd have to say no.1 is Guts vs Wild, because it was great to see the people he faught along side just stare in amazment in how much he had improved. Not to mention, it was a great foreshadowing into the type of battles he'd have to deal with from then on. It was also great to see Zodd come in & tear Wild apart with his own thinking "us apostles are meant to do what we want!" - "then I guess there's no problem in me wanting to tear you apart!" or something along those lines ;D

No.2 would have to be Guts vs Boscogne. The background to that fight is just awesosumo. Not to mention what significance it holds for guts. From then on, he was the strongest human there is(at least the world knows of) My only complaint was the length. :-\ thats why it's No.2

No3. ..hmm.. The battle between Guts & Zodd on the hill of swords. Its just an awesome sword fight & the detail was immense for a toe to toe duel. It was cut short, & the sword duel was too short, initially. Not really complaints, just a 'if I had my way' type thing ;)

I would have to pick a few favourite fight in the manga... First is the fight with Wild... vol 11 is one of the reason why i liked Berserk, not only will the scene exciting but the fight which involve human and non-human was truly realistic... Guts didnt win by just sheer high skills and strenght alone... he win it also by using tactics to fight against his opponent

The second one would be the fight with Roshinu in vol 15... truly amazing. The third one was the fight with four mozgus disciples and the fourth was the battle with Zodd

But the favourite one is... Guts in his berserker armor, vs Grunbeld 8)

There's so many good ones. These aren't in any particular order:

1. Guts vs Wyald
2. Guts vs Zodd (Hill of Swords)
3. Guts vs Grunbeld (from before he got the armor until he was forced to flee)
4. Guts vs Roshinu
5. Guts vs Mozgus

They were all good. Honorable mentions:

1. Guts vs Mozgus' followers
2. Guts vs Goatman
3. The Eclipse

Femuth-Black Hawk

Guts...?..Love...?...Why?.....
I think all fights of guts were good.But the best fights are,the one where his limit were shown.I mean when he fights against very strong enemies.

The_Fetus_Ninja

Lets go, bub!
i liked Guts Vs. the Count actually. he cuts the counts head off by biting down on the swords handle to manuever it... that is friggin hardcore and one of my fav scenes in the manga.

Strife

Forsaken Destiny
1. Guts vs Griffith (pt 1 & 2)- I really liked the 2nd dual they had because when i was first watching it I couldn't wait to see who would win.

2. Guts vs Soldiers when rescuing griffith. just a personal favorite.

3. Guts vs Grunbeld -Was great to see the new armor in action. I can't wait to see what will happen when guts is able to use it when he is 100% rested before a fight.

Smith said:
The second one would be the fight with Roshinu in vol 15... truly amazing. The third one was the fight with four mozgus disciples and the fourth was the battle with Zodd

Yeah the one with Roshinu is definitely worth mentioning, but the best bit in the fight is after he has taken all that beating, fallen from the sky a few times and has a whole in numerious parts of his body he crawls out the water with the most violent look on his face I recall ever seeing him with in berserk, that face was my desktop backround for a fair while.

I believe it was soon after that before he meets the knights of the holy iron chains is when the beast first appears.

Sparnage said:
he crawls out the water with the most violent look on his face I recall ever seeing him with in berserk,

The most violent face i have seen is in vol 21, when the GH spiritual form appear at the peak of Albion

Smith said:
The most violent face i have seen is in vol 21, when the GH spiritual form appear at the peak of Albion

I dont recall any particular violent face that caught my eye, could you be more specific?

Sparnage said:
I dont recall any particular violent face that caught my eye, could you be more specific?

The very part when the the spirit transform into the GH form just moment before Griffith was reborn, Guts expression was contorted into something more fearsome than the beast, and he slashed at one of "form" (if i am not wrong it is Void), only to realise they doesnt exist in the mortal world

Just look at pg 202 of vol 20 (sorry for the mistake :p)

E

EtherGhost

Gatts vs Griffith (golden age): It was quite a shocker in the anime to see Gatts beating Griffith. And then his sword going down towards a fear-stricken Griffith only to stop before touching him.... masterful. Still, kind of dumb of Griffith to think his thin sword would be able to stop a full attack of Gatts' MASSIVE sword but oh well.

Gatts vs Wild - Gatts winning against unbelievable odds, with so many amazing tactics and moves. The context was just amazing.

Gatts vs Roshinu - Such a long battle, and Gatts escaping death with unbelievable moves. As Roshinu said: "What are you??!!".

Gatts vs Zondark - Seems like he just wont die, but Gatts keeps blocking all his attacks and then makes a cool slash and he wins. Extra points for his cool pose when preparing to block his axe-whip attack.

Gatts vs HICK - Funniest battle in Berserk... eventhough Gatts slashed like 15 soldiers.

The fight with Wyld seems to be pretty popular, and it is my favourite as well.

I think it was the first time Caska ever openly showed concern for Guts (sure, it was after they made love, but I doubt a lot of the Hawks knew about that). And sure, Guts had risked his life for Caska many times already by then, but I don't think she ever expressed concern for him. I could be mistaken though?

I'll agree with Demented Swordsman when he commented on the look of amazement on the faces of Guts' ex-comrades. The conversation between Judeau and Caska when she wanted to help Guts was also interesting.

Just realized she yelled at Guts after he left and went out of her way to keep him in The Hawks, so I guess I was wrong.

Opie

The Sex Icon
Guts VS Griffith 1st time - This is where it ALL begins. The importance of this little duel is so huge that it catapults these two mens lives is completly different directions. Also the music they used in the Anime makes the scene way to cool.

When Griffith jumps on Guts sword to the amazment of everyone(and to Behelit in the background)...whoa.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
C. Walken said:
I'd have to say no.1 is Guts vs Wild, because it was great to see the people he faught along side just stare in amazment in how much he had improved. Not to mention, it was a great foreshadowing into the type of battles he'd have to deal with from then on. It was also great to see Zodd come in & tear Wild apart with his own thinking "us apostles are meant to do what we want!" - "then I guess there's no problem in me wanting to tear you apart!" or something along those lines  ;D

No.2 would have to be Guts vs Boscogne. The background to that fight is just awesosumo. Not to mention what significance it holds for guts. From then on, he was the strongest human there is(at least the world knows of) My only complaint was the length. :-\ thats why it's No.2

No3. ..hmm.. The battle between Guts & Zodd on the hill of swords. Its just an awesome sword fight & the detail was immense for a toe to toe duel. It was cut short, & the sword duel was too short, initially. Not really complaints, just a 'if I had my way' type thing ;)

Plus the "AGGGGGGGGGGGH MY DICK!!@(!&@*(#&*!!#" part of the wyald battle was pretty damn funny imo. his face... his face... plus he deserved it.

I like the Guts vs. Zodd on the Hill of swords, and Guts vs. the big ol' Leviathin thing and the crocodile familiars.

The first one because it was just very pretty and well put together.

The second, because it showed that the Berserk armor is unrelenting even in killing innocent bystanders and stuff. It was scary and forboding to know that the thing that is keeping Guts going ATM is so dangerous to him and his friends.

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
For me, its the Guts vs Roshinu fight. We see Guts at his uttermost end, as it were; as close to a demon himself as he ever got, slaughtering dozens (if not hundreds) of children, and trying time after time to convince himself to put Roshinu herself down. I love the conflict that it brought out between himself and the Beast, the wonderfully iconic images of him in the full grip of his rage, and the fact that even by the end of it, I feel terribly sorry for Roshinu having lost herself the way she did. The little image of her eating happily with her family at the end of it is just heartbreaking.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
mahlernut said:
For me, its the Guts vs Roshinu fight.  We see Guts at his uttermost end, as it were; as close to a demon himself as he ever got, slaughtering dozens (if not hundreds) of children, and trying time after time to convince himself to put Roshinu herself down.  I love the conflict that it brought out between himself and the Beast, the wonderfully iconic images of him in the full grip of his rage, and the fact that even by the end of it, I feel terribly sorry for Roshinu having lost herself the way she did.  The little image of her eating happily with her family at the end of it is just heartbreaking. 

Hmm... good point. The Roshinu battle *did* have lots of internal conflict, and helped to put a greater stigma on Guts as a childkiller.

Beneath

The wind whispered.. and the world began to change
Yea the Wyald fight is classic. I remember when first reading it, I literally cheered when Guts lops off wyalds tongue/dick. That was just way too awesome. That dude wyald was literally scary.

The Hill of Swords is certainly awesome, very stylish and tense. Thats one of my favorites.

During the eclipse when Guts is scrambling and fighting the monsters with that horn, that is very cool.

Probably the best fight so far imo is the fight outside floras house, where Guts tangles with Grunbeld and several other apostles.
When guts explodes out of the stomach of that one monster, in his new armor, that is just so badass. I remember one panel where Guts' helmet actually bites down on one of the monsters legs. Man that is way too cool. And when Guts does his front somersault and breaks grunbelds hammer in mid swing with his sword, man that is just great. Definitly an epic fight.  My favorite moment tho may be when he takes his helmet off in front of Casca and Farnese, just the expression on his face is somethin I wont forget. He changed at that moment. Definitly a "hero" shot.

Top Bottom