Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Ariyn said:
Haven't you ever heard the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover"?

sure i heard that but since the little resumé in most of the books (berserk related or not) are most of the time dull i just take a chance! but usually i check out first who is writing it and drawing it.. so cover or "résumé" are never what i llok for in the first place! creators background first! :p the cover part was more of a joke thing! :troll:

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
I just bought and read volume 10. The origin of Gaiseric as well what was revealed below the tower of rebirth really makes me anxious to know when Mr. Miura will reveal what could be the skullknight's origin. Makes me wonder is the skullknight was once a branded one? Or was he the one that sacrificed his people to the Hand of God? Just hope its revealed soon.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
xbigvmanx said:
I just bought and read volume 10. The origin of Gaiseric as well what was revealed below the tower of rebirth really makes me anxious to know when Mr. Miura will reveal what could be the skullknight's origin. Makes me wonder is the skullknight was once a branded one? Or was he the one that sacrificed his people to the Hand of God? Just hope its revealed soon.

SPOILER: Very little has been revealed about Skull Knight's past up through the current episode, 269. Frankly, I hope more is revealed about Skully soon, too. :SK:

Yeah, i think perhaps Gaiseric is pre-skull knight, i mean they said that 4 angels(god hand perhaps) destroyed everything of his, and then you see all those branded corpses. So i think skull knight may have been the fifth god hand member at one point in time. But there isnt much to support this right now so its just a theory

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BestialDevastation said:
i think skull knight may have been the fifth god hand member at one point in time. But there isnt much to support this right now so its just a theory

Actually that's a very, very old theory. SPOILER: It's been mostly invalidated since then. Don't hesitate to search for more speculation about this in older threads if you're interested.

I have always been the type of guy who enjoyed reading the printed version of stories for the extras left out of the anime/movies, but holy $#!T, I never would have imagined so much would be left out of the anime. Word to the wise. If you loved the anime, and havn't read the manga. Go get it. If you dont want to bother with ordering it go to your local Borders.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
HumanWeapon said:
I have always been the type of guy who enjoyed reading the printed version of stories for the extras left out of the anime/movies, but holy $#!T, I never would have imagined so much would be left out of the anime. Word to the wise. If you loved the anime, and havn't read the manga. Go get it. If you dint want to bother with ordering it go to your local Borders.

very good idea; after all, the manga is the source material. Not only were many things left out all together (Silat, Skull Knight, the entire incident with the King of Midland and the princess..) but there were various other errors and added things that make it seem "cheesy" (a good example would be how in the first episode of the anime, when the peasent asks the bar tender if there is any good news and the bartender replies with "no, no good news. There hasn't been any good news since Griffith became king", or something along those lines.. This is completly inaccurate; Griffith isn't a "king" then, but rather is Femto and part of the godhand, hehe ;)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Funkmasta Zeph said:
AND the friggin anime crew decided it would be a hot idea to ommit or tone down all comical situations.

Why?

They've made a lot of changes that don't make any sense, removed important parts and added useless ones. You should also keep in mind that while he didn't have time to really supervise the production, Miura personally rewrote half the script (they sent parts to him for reviewing and he sent them back). It could have been a lot worse, I can't even imagine what they originally had in mind.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Volume 11 is officially out!

"Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a roaring manga dragster, a grand epic of red-line action, white-knuckle horror, and black-hearted humor that has spawned a fervent legion of acolytes driving a host of horrified nonbelievers in their wake. The bell tolls for thee, puny mortal!"

Its been a long time since I read this volume but I remember it being an absolute blast. I look forward to reading it tonight at work! And if book stores haven't gotten it in yet try your local comic stores!

Edit: Oh, and by the way Wyald's motto is translated to  "make it fun, make it stimulating!" And the creed of the Black Dog Knights is "to enjoy and excite!"

Damn right! Don't you forget it!

Fun and stimulating double edit: CnC just made me piss my pants with the post below.

CnC

Ad Oculos
handsome rakshas said:
"Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a roaring manga dragster, a grand epic of red-line action, white-knuckle horror, and black-hearted humor that has spawned a fervent legion of acolytes driving a host of horrified nonbelievers in their wake. The bell tolls for thee, puny mortal!"

They must have a bunch of stock cover summaries:
"Created by _(INSERT AUTHOR HERE)_, _(INSERT TITLE HERE)_ is a bitchin' thrill ride with black humor and action oozing out of its asshole! Remember to your fiber tablets, jackass!"

Seriously, DH, stop it already. its childish to the point of becoming annoying.

handsome rakshas said:
Edit: Oh, and by the way Wyald's motto is translated to "make it fun, make it stimulating!" And the creed of the Black Dog Knights is "to enjoy and excite!"

Sounds ok to me. Engrish doesn't translate too well into English, typically.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
handsome rakshas said:
Volume 11 is officially out!

Its been a long time since I read this volume but I remember it being an absolute blast. I look forward to reading it tonight at work! And if book stores haven't gotten it in yet try your local comic stores!

Edit: Oh, and by the way Wyald's motto is translated to  "make it fun, make it stimulating!" And the creed of the Black Dog Knights is "to enjoy and excite!"

Damn right! Don't you forget it!

Fun and stimulating double edit: CnC just made me piss my pants with the post below.

Thanks for the heads-up, Rakshas! I'll probably order my copy later tonight. The DH sum-up of Berserk is just as amusing (and inaccurate) as usual, but it gave me a good laugh. I really do wish they'd just stop, but they probably won't.

S

Some Guy

handsome rakshas said:

They seem to be getting worse.....

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Just finished reading this and it was absolutely fantastic. Yet another GN made up almost entirely of non-anime stuff. The whole thing was really edge of your seat.. the fights were amazing. I can't believe all the build up to the eclipse that was just left out of the anime.. they really did a crap job with that. I definatly cannot wait for 12.

I'm so anxious to get to the eclipse. I thought it was going to start at the end of this issue :( o well i know the next two issues will be crammed with awsomness.

Also what was with Wyald. He didn't seem like an apostle, seeing as he had no beherit. At the same time he seemed to weak to be a zodd/skullknight kind of character.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
SuicideCommand0 said:
Also what was with Wyald. He didn't seem like an apostle, seeing as he had no beherit. At the same time he seemed to weak to be a zodd/skullknight kind of character.

Wyald was definitely an Apostle, without a doubt. Having or not having a Beherit at the time doesn't mean anything. I agree with you that Wyald was definitely weaker than Zodd or Skull Knight, but they're just too damn good, so it's not fair to pit poor ol' Wyald up against 'em like that. :beast:

Yes, he was definitely a apostle, but what you will come to see is that some are stronger/greater and weaker than others.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I really hope they dont edit volume 13's cover!!! But anyways Im loving the darkhorse release's right now, and vol 11 is now one of my personal favs! great battle!!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
berserker88 said:
I really hope they dont edit volume 13's cover!!! But anyways Im loving the darkhorse release's right now, and vol 11 is now one of my personal favs! great battle!!!
They could pull the cheesy ZOOM IN technique like Media Blasters did with the final DVD for the anime :puck: But, I doubt they will.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Yeah, DH has been pretty good with the covers so far, so I don't think they would really alter it that much. It would really suck if they did since I think 13 is a very awesome cover :guts:

My 11 just came in, awesome volume. The battle with Wyald was really awesome.

S

Some Guy

Its been confirmed on the Dark Horse message boards that Volume 13 cover art will not be altered. To maintain censorship, though, they will be placing a sticker over the offending area.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Knight o' Skeleton said:
Its been confirmed on the Dark Horse message boards that Volume 13 cover art will not be altered. To maintain censorship, though, they will be placing a sticker over the offending area.

Well then, as someone who is very against censorship, I'd like to extend a big "thank you" to the people at Dark Horse. You guys rock. Now where the hell is my Vol. 11? :miura:

I ordered Volume 11 off Amazon, hasn't arrived yet. What should I expect, is it any better/worse than volumes 1-10?

Woops, just realised this is in the wrong forum. Sorry.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Simon said:
I ordered Volume 11 off Amazon, hasn't arrived yet. What should I expect, is it any better/worse than volumes 1-10?
If you haven't noticed from the handful of praises above, volume 11 is awesome. It's essentially one huge action sequence, featuring Guts most intense fight yet, and showcasing the final moments of the Band of Hawks in action. There's a scene towards the end between Guts and Griff that's really touching, given the events just one volume in the future; truly a glimpse inside Griff's head.

A special someone makes a spooky appearance too :zodd:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom