Gut's Left hand functions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As my first post was deleted due to a flame war that would be started, I thought I would retry.

The question is the function of Guts' left hand. Not in what it is used for, but if it is just a fake hand, or a movable hand(i.e. Full Metal Alchemist).

At first, and throughout almost all of the manga, it looks like a fake hand that you would have to force it open with. But if that's true, then how can it hold the DS without support from the other hand, or anything else? Examples of this are when he kills the pagans at Albion to save Casca, he completes his swing and is holding the DS only by his left hand. Same as when he encounters the Kushan and kills them in one swing (Vol. 18 Ch. 2). He completes his swing and holds it by his left hand only. Also, during the fight with Mozgus' disciples, he cuts off the huge dude with the wheel's left foot off while throwing a knife at that tiny guy that pulls out the eyes. You could say that the magnet is strong enough to do this, but that's one hell of a magnet. If it's strong enough to do that, then wouldn't it be constantly pulled towards the armor he's wearing?

On the other end is the FMA explanation, that it is a fake arm that can be used like a real hand. But, there's alot of questions about this one too. Like, how is that possible? In the Anime, in the first episode when he fights the Snake lord, before he fires his cannon, we see his index finger on the fake hand twitch. Also, there are times where we see his fist closed, then opened a second later.

What do you think?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
To be honest, I believe Miura has done a pretty good job in demonstrating that the hand is not like Eric's in FMA; that it is just a prosthetic and the only way that it can hold on to the Dragon Slayer is through the (most likely extremely powerful) magnet. That and with Berserk being a manga, many physically impossible acts are made possible. Just gotta use your imagination. :void:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Hello. Well, I don't think too much is really known on the specifics of Gut's mech arm, but I think everyone generally agrees it is through the use of powerfull magnets that Guts is able to grip the DS. We can tell its not like Ed from FMA's arm (Ed's is connect to each nerve so he can flex it completely) because the wound has like, healed over so he has a "stub" and the fake hand clamps onto it.

untitled9vk.jpg

definitely not the best picture to describe what I mean, but it's the only one I could find quickly. It sort of slides onto the stub of his arm, he has no direct controll over the fingers (I think).

But don't quote me on that; I won't be surprised if Aazealh or other regulars correct me. But I am pretty sure its not physically connected into his arm.

While he certainly can't move the fingers at will, he can make pseudo-gestures (as in vol. 3 when he's taunting the count), which is pretty much the extent of his control of the prosthetic.

He is able to hold onto the DS after the swing because he's holds on with his right arm until DS has slowed down enough that his left hand can manage. Precisely where this point is is uncertain, although after swinging the DS for 2+ years I'm pretty sure Guts found a "sweet spot" for when to release.

And it's not like the magnet is making the DS stick to the prosthetic, it's making the fingers close around it enough so that it can actually grip. Since the fingers close around handle, the DS can't slide out of Guts' grasp.

Theres one thing I have a problem with about the left hand. How is it that the fingers are able to move? do the nerves in the left arm send signals to the arm or is it something different?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Skullgrin140 said:
Theres one thing I have a problem with about the left hand. How is it that the fingers are able to move? do the nerves in the left arm send signals to the arm or is it something different?
Please tell me you did not post this just now... Please.

Feanor

Nur dem Schwert kannst du vertrauen!
I think its like nomad said only the magnet which holds the sword, because the fingers wrap around the knob of the sword and so the sword stays in guts hand.
But with the berserk armor and Guts as beast, the things change, because the armor can make his left arm and fingers move again which is a great advantage for guts.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
IIRC, the prosthetic has a spring system which closes the grip when the arm is bent, and opens the hand when his arm is straightened out.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Skullgrin140 said:

All of your questions were answered in the posts right before yours.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is an old subject, and has been discussed in at least two threads:

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=1614.0 (people should check this one out just for the thread's creator... quite a character :serpico: )

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=3453.0

That being said, it's LOCKDOWN TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom