Official Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Thread

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

Week of March 20, I can hardly wait to buy it.  :guts: Just look at those screenshots  :carcus:
the system requirements are quite high but thats usually a good sign.
buy it people, this ones gotta be good.

ps: I think im gonna go play some morrowind :miura:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Oh man, I have been waiting so much for Oblivion! It looks amazing. I've been playing TES series since Daggerfall and each game just pulls me more and more in. Morrowind had it's flaws, but it was definetly an amazing game. I really can't wait for oblivion. 11 days and counting :carcus:

I've put in countless hours into my main morrowind profile; I think upwards of 200 hours :isidro: wow, never realized I was that addicted. I can expect much more I'll get from Oblivion, but I think it's time I upgrade my rig :( I really really hope it doesn't bomb like allot of games with good hype.

anyone else here pre-order it yet? I placed my preorder the other day.

Thankgod i dont have to worry about powering up my PC. 360 all the way wooo!!! :guts:

And yes, I too have been looking forward to this game ever since they previewed a screenshot of next generation games on an Xbox mag.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/ob_pc/obliv10B.jpg This croc needs to be diced by the dragonslayer. :zodd:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
I wonder if any Berserk fans will make a "Dragon Slayer sword mod" like they did for Morrowind? Man, running around with the DS in Oblivion = heaven :serpico:

I didn't wish to start another thread but I thought this was the appropriate place to post it.

Today has been a rather emotional rollercoaster for me and someone sent me a link to this video to help cheer me up. I thought it was pretty funny although it does drag about two thirds of the way... literally.

Anyway enjoy, How to deal with an annoying fan boy.

Winde, feeling better

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's magnificent, Winde. I LOL'd XD

PS: "Aaaaaaas yoooooooooou wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish...!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The test of a truly great game for me has always been its "fuck-around-with-it" potential. Spawning/Killing scientists in HL1, getting all headshots in Hitman 2, doin the Jungle Boogie with unconscious guards in MGS2 :carcus:

I could go on, but yeah, Elder Scrolls IV looks cool. Maybe a little TOO realistic for my tastes personally, but that's the developing trend in games these days so, may as well grin and bear it.

S

smoke

People seem to have this fascination with picking things up in games. The grav gun in HL2, the "You can pick up anything!" selling-point in oblivion.

I play games to do cool things, like shoot zombies in the face with shotguns. Picking up objects is pretty...unexciting. I just did it IRL with a can of Coke. MAN, IT WAS JUST LIKE I WAS INSIDE THE GAME!!

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
I love Oblivion because of the open ended gameplay. Seriously, to any one who is a fan of action-RPG's or open ended games, I highly suggest checking out Oblivion. It pretty much improved on everything that Morrowind did wrong, and with added goodies like physics and radient AI some really cool things can happen.

CnC

Ad Oculos
smoke said:
People seem to have this fascination with picking things up in games. The grav gun in HL2, the "You can pick up anything!" selling-point in oblivion.

I play games to do cool things, like shoot zombies in the face with shotguns. Picking up objects is pretty...unexciting. I just did it IRL with a can of Coke. MAN, IT WAS JUST LIKE I WAS INSIDE THE GAME!!

the "selling point" in oblivion and certainly in HL2 wasn't to pick up things. Unless you toss around cars in real life I'd say the grav guns still got a little cool factor in it.

how'd you get pickin' up things in the discussion, anyway?

S

smoke

CnC said:
the "selling point" in oblivion and certainly in HL2 wasn't to pick up things. Unless you toss around cars in real life I'd say the grav guns still got a little cool factor in it.

how'd you get pickin' up things in the discussion, anyway?

I guess it just springs to mind when I think Oblivion, because that's all my friends ever really talk about in regard to the game.

Finished the game and must say not that impressed. First of the engine is beautyfull, but the char. models look like photo-robots or something despite all the adjustments you can make. Second the plot is really cliche with no twists or nothing, aside from a few minor ones in guild related lines. On that note you can join all the guilds and become their boss, which is kinda funny when you are an Arch Mage but can't cast ANYTHING above 30 mana. The AI's not that good, since most casters tend to run up to you with their daggers instead of hurling spells at you (makes killing them a joke). Also the dialogs contain no real lines but instead topics to which you get answers, and your choices mostly comprise of: "Yes I'm ready" or "No not just yet". All in all a big let down for me, especially regarding the series lineage, it boils down to a bunch of dungeons that are not related to the plot in any way, where you can hack and slash to your heart's content. Not relay what I expected.

The AI seemed alright to me... all the casters I fought would run away from me and summon creatures and shoot fireballs and such at me, sometimes they would even run into another area from me. The main quest, ya I agree with you on the story/plot its very simple, and not too interesting. The combat system kind of disappointed me though, it is a BIG improvement but still somewhat limited. I was expecting to be able to do all these combos,moves with my weapons and being able to dodge out of the way of attacks. You can dodge attacks but its more like just stepping backwards from the enemy. Basically all you got is a slash attack, block, and power attack. You do get more "abilities" as you get up there in skill but it is the same thing as the power attack, it just does a different effect and you use a different directional key for it, so its the same kind of attack/move just with a different effect like chance to paralyze or knockback.

Those were pretty much everything i was disappointed in, combat,mainquest and a few other little small things. It's a decent enjoyable game but afterawhile it can get repetitive.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I know it's a very old topic, but I also know some people here still play some old games (some are still playing Morriwind) so I hope it's ok to bring this topic some life.

I stopped playing Oblivion about a year ago. I got halfway through the Shivering Isles expansion and hen just lost interest. But after picking it up for some strange reason the other day I fell in love all over again. I'll post more about it later because I'm short on time right now but I love this game so much and it helps get my mind off things in real life.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Oburi said:
I know it's a very old topic, but I also know some people here still play some old games (some are still playing Morriwind) so I hope it's ok to bring this topic some life.

I stopped playing Oblivion about a year ago. I got halfway through the Shivering Isles expansion and hen just lost interest. But after picking it up for some strange reason the other day I fell in love all over again. I'll post more about it later because I'm short on time right now but I love this game so much and it helps get my mind off things in real life.

WEll don't get off things too much Oburi. Put yourself together from your problems. I know it's hard, but don't dwell in the game so you can avoid the real issues at hand. It may take time, but I think you can pull yourself out of that hole.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Th3Branded0ne said:
WEll don't get off things too much Oburi. Put yourself together from your problems. I know it's hard, but don't dwell in the game so you can avoid the real issues at hand. It may take time, but I think you can pull yourself out of that hole.

Thanks for the support (I think I may have let my personal life sink into every post I've made on these boards lately, and for that I apologize). But I really did want to talk about the game. I always meant to pick it up again at some point. It's an older game now and the graphics don't hold up all that great against some newer games, bbut it's still solid and nothing is quite like it.

Get some mods for it. FCOM, deadly reflex, some of the magic mods, etc. There are also mods to enhance the graphics. Most important would be the faces, bodies, hair, eyes, etc. New races, birth signs, weapons, armor.

Though really, FCOM is more than enough to breath new life into the game along with Deadly Reflex.

lol, deadly reflex.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Zm20COvY8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_7A87M849I&feature=related
:rakshas:

Wow I wish I'd bought Oblivion for the PC instead of the 360 o.o I love modding games, but I doubt my PC could hack it.

Deadly reflex looks pretty awesome :guts:

Anyone know if this mod is any good?
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=17532
It looks awesome

Top Bottom