Is Miura stalling?

W

waqas786uk

There's something I've wanted to get off my chest and I know it may anger a few ardent Berserk fans but I'm going to say it anyway. First off while I've seen the Berserk anime series I haven't actually read the manga, though I am aware of the basic storyline up to now.

Using information gathered from a few websites (mainly the faq from this site) I managed to piece together what happened after the anime. I have to say though I am very disappointed with the storyline Miura has chosen to pursue. It just seems to me that much of what is in the post Taka No Dan arc Miura could have done without. I mean, why did he have to spend so much time, and episodes, on irrelevant apostles like roshinu and the count? And what's with all the new characters that have popped up in the millennium falcon arc? They may play a small role in the climax of the series but you all know that their relevance is minimal compared to the central trio.

If you ask me Miura had the basic storyline with Guts, Casca, and Griffith (and perhaps also skullknight and the God Hand) sorted out years ago and is relying on our interest in that to keep us reading while the rest is just filler to extend the natural life of the manga to make him more money (and give him something to do). Pessimistic? I know but that's what I believe.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Waqas

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
First of all, from a strictly practical point of view, this manga is Miura's livelihood, so of course he's going to try to extend it as much as he can.

But, I think he also has other reasons. For one thing, you can't just have a story as epic and large as Berserk with only three characters. This "trio" is living in and interacting with the world around them, meaning they're bound to run into what you might think are useless characters.

Some of it, I'm sure, is simply for its entertainment value, but characters like Roshinu and the Count have their own value in the storyline. Fighting them has helped the readers gain insight on Guts' mental state (the Beast, etc.) since it's these very fights that awaken those feelings in him (or at least aggravate his situation). They also show just what kind of world Guts is living in, a place full of darkness and bizarre creatures. Those arcs act as vessels for further plot development and insight.

Besides that, good stories take time. As practical and easy as it might be to just "get on with it" and go straight to the ending, it just isn't the way to a good story. It'll end faster sure, but there will be a big loss on the fans' part.

As for the Millenium Falcon characters, someone else will have to field that one, since I really don't know much about that arc.

So, to end this post that's quickly getting too long, I don't think Miura is stalling any more than what would be necessary for proper story development. He knows what he's doing, I'm sure. Have patience, and you will be rewarded. ;)

No, I don't think he's stalling. Killing various apostles is part of Gatts's road to revenge... since how the hell else is he possibly going to reach Griffith? Honestly, u can't really say all that much until u've read the manga, which the anime can't even compare to in my opinion.

He's not stalling, but he's sure takin a long ass time. 1 vol every 6 months... wtf is that!

Btw, even though the Count comes after the whole thing with the Band of the Hawk in the Berserk timeline, it was written much earlier.

As for all the characters in the Millenium Falcon arc, I think it keeps the story interesting. As kim said, I think Miura is aiming for an epic scale. Miura could focus on a few main characters, but Berserk isn't a character study. Well, it kinda is, but there r also huge, universal themes of fate, betrayal, dreams, and human will power involved.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Continuing with what Kimchan said, good stories have substance. Paradoxically, without all this “excess” substance, Guts, Griffith and Casca would not be the interesting characters they are; therefore, they could no longer support a story on their own. The only reason you can envision that, is because you are familiar (I use the term loosely) with the story as it is. They are nothing without the substance, and it’s nothing without them. If you reexamine the scenes you called into question (Roshinu, Count etc.) you’ll find that those were very important developmental moments for Guts. The same goes for Casca and Griffith in the Hawks arc. It’s not enough to create interesting characters, you have to show them in action and give them experiences for them to carry any sort of weight or sense of reality.

Also, Miura has expressed interest in doing another project, I’m sure he doesn’t intend to end his life with Berserk alone. So, I actually fear he may rush the progression of the story.

So, don’t worry about Miura, he will bring you through this. Like always, he will carry you, kicking and screaming, and in the end you will thank him. ;)

-Griffith

P.S. And buy the fucking manga already, Sherlock. I don’t want to hear anymore of this shit about “piecing things together.” It’s best to have actually seen the material you’re critiquing, no (has anybody else noticed how many factual errors there are in Roger Ebert's reviews)? =)

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
So, don’t worry about Miura, he will bring you through this. Like always, he will carry you, kicking and screaming, and in the end you will thank him. ;)

-Griffith

you mean like Socrates in the Republic?

puella

Berserk forever
waqas786uk, I'd like you to keep in mind that some people like the characters you regard as "irrelevant" or "filler" even more than the main characters. ;)

*** Why don't you get IE 6.0? You seem to have "apostrophe problem" on this board.

W

waqas786uk

Perhaps your all right the main characters do need a bit of substance to let them develop and shit. But at the same time I still find the other characters boring and the storyline miura has chosen to pursue to be inane and well to be frank quite crap.
After thinking abut this a bit more I have come to the realisation that perhaps I just do not like berserk as much as i thought. I know the fantasy vs realism issue has been discussed before so do not lambast me but I think maybe I would have been happier if miura had toned down the monsters and shit a little and stuck with the a story similar to the taka no dan arc (*sigh* how I love the anime). I am also thinking that miura is not as good a writer as I had hoped, in my humble opinion after the taka no dan arc he got stuck because he only had a basic outline for the story and so decided to fill the middle with crap. I beleive that if he had tried harder he could have come up with better and more relevant stuff to put in the middle.

PS. Puella, see how I skilllfully managed to avoid using a single apostrophe in this post? muahahahahaha

EXPLORER 6.0 SUCKS ASS BITCHES!!!!!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I still find the other characters boring and the storyline miura has chosen to pursue to be inane and well to be frank quite crap.
That is all. No wait. Buy the manga, then make your judgements. Yes, that is all.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Perhaps your all right the main characters do need a bit of substance to let them develop and shit. But at the same time I still find the other characters boring and the storyline miura has chosen to pursue to be inane and well to be frank quite crap.

explain why you think the other characters are boring and why you think the story is crap.
I am also thinking that miura is not as good a writer as I had hoped, in my humble opinion after the taka no dan arc he got stuck because he only had a basic outline for the story and so decided to fill the middle with crap. I beleive that if he had tried harder he could have come up with better and more relevant stuff to put in the middle.

Miura is an excelent writer. ok then what would you put in the middle of the story? since you are better then Miura at writing.

- Bob

p.s. read the manga before posting.

puella

Berserk forever
but I think maybe I would have been happier if miura had toned down the monsters and shit a little and stuck with the a story similar to the taka no dan arc
It's true many people love taka no dan arc most but not everybody. this could be why you put "in my humble opinion" in your post. Your taste is the exact opposite of mine since I love all of what you call "shit" i.e. blackswordsman arc or all the apostles much more than taka no dan arc.
I'd like you to keep in mind one man's meat is another man's poison this time.
In other words, it's only a matter of preference so can't be generalized, I think. ;)

sorry, I repeated my previous post
waqas786uk, I'd like you to keep in mind that some people like the characters you regard as "irrelevance" or "filler" even more than main characters.

PS. Puella, see how I skilllfully managed to avoid using a single apostrophe in this post? muahahahahaha
Nice work! 8)

EXPLORER 6.0 SUCKS ASS BITCHES!!!!!!
AGREEEEEEEEEEE

aelka

*gasp* you know how hot I am? *no.*
I concur with puella :)
there's a definate difference between a critique and a personal preference.

And I think waqas786uk's personally do not prefer this kind of story, that's all.

As you should've learned by now, you cannot judge the manga artists' print works by piecing bits of the translated anime together, as you cannot judge boy bands' talents by their faces...

I would have been happier if miura had toned down the monsters and shit a little and stuck with the a story similar to the taka no dan arc

I think I already mentioned that the story STARTED with apostles and all that supernatural shit. The Band of the Hawks part was really just a long flashback that explains where Gatts is coming from and y all that freaky shit is goin on.

Top Bottom