what volumes to buy

vae_victus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
i'm planning on buying the berserk tankoubons at sasugabooks.com. the thing is, i've read that some of the volumes weren't worth buying at all (ie. mostly filler, just battles, plot doesn't progress much).

examples are vol. 11, 19, & 20 (correct me if i'm wrong).

the ones that i know i have to buy are: 4-8, 13-17.

i was wondering if i any of you would suggest other volumes that i might need to buy. i'll buy the most current ones if they're that damn good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
well if youre worried about filler battles, dont buy volume 4-8 =). Actually... Id suggest you get 8-18 personally... I re-read those all the time. After 18, the story takes its time for a while, adn then picks up again in 21.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
i'm planning on buying the berserk tankoubons at sasugabooks.com. the thing is, i've read that some of the volumes weren't worth buying at all (ie. mostly filler, just battles, plot doesn't progress much).

examples are vol. 11, 19, & 20 (correct me if i'm wrong).

don't believe those fillthy lies! there lies i say! i have 19 and 20 and i have no clue whats happening. so be cool and do what i say! buy 19 and 20.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
One man’s so-called filler material is another’s favorite part of the series (ahem, Lost Children anybody?), 11 is important for any number reasons, there are things in 6 and 7 that definitely shouldn’t be missed (certainly more important than the events of volume 18, unless you use Berserk as a marital aide) as well as little bits and pieces from every volume that are important later. It’s hard to really judge what’s important and what isn’t because we HAVE seen all of it, but how could you appreciate the significance of certain events without the knowledge of what makes them significant at all (those seemingly unimportant things are sometimes instrumental and we don’t even think about it). I recommend you get all of the series (at least, eventually).

-Griffith

P.S. Why is 18 (as in, only and older should read it) recommended? Skull Knight?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
One man’s so-called filler material is another’s favorite part of the series (ahem, Lost Children anybody?), 11 is important for any number reasons, there are things in 6 and 7 that definitely shouldn’t be missed (certainly more important than the events of volume 18, unless you use Berserk as a marital aide) as well as little bits and pieces from every volume that are important later.  It’s hard to really judge what’s important and what isn’t because we HAVE seen all of it, but how could you appreciate the significance of certain events without the knowledge of what makes them significant at all (those seemingly unimportant things are sometimes instrumental and we don’t even think about it). I recommend you get all of the series (at least, eventually).
Im not saying dont buy the whole series. Of cource thats the ideal situation, but since the person in question has already said that hes only going to buy it peacemeal, I decided to list the volumes that I think are most intrical to the plot. My suggestions also follow suit that the person in question has already seen the anime. Volumes 4-8 really follow very closely to the manga...Thats why I excluded them.
-Griffith
P.S. Why is 18 (as in, only and older should read it) recommended? Skull Knight?
Yep. That scene is extremely important. If you skipped over that scene, you wouldnt know whats building up to happen in volumes 19-22: Griffiths Rebirth.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Yep. That scene is extremely important. If you skipped over that scene, you wouldnt know whats building up to happen in volumes 19-22: Griffiths Rebirth.

what about the one scean in 20? if you skip over 20 you wouldn't know the Egg apostel got the demon child [wich after that put the disturbing mass of flesh in it's mouth and ate it].

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
what about the one scean in 20? if you skip over 20 you wouldn't know the Egg apostel got the demon child  [wich after that put the disturbing mass of flesh in it's mouth and ate it].
touche' but Im being a favoritist towards skully you see ;D

Well,

I don't know that there are too many chapters that don't have something to say/add to the story, esp in the earlier parts.

Personally, I think you should start with volumes 1-3. Many people make the mistake of dismissing these, as the quality of the artwork is not up to the standard set in the later volumes. This, however, is a mistake, as 1-3 is loaded with details and hints that are of import much, much later down the track. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that whithout an appreciation of 1-3 you aren't so much reading the manga as a continuation of the often maligned anime series.

Just my two bobs worth,

Namirrha

Top Bottom