Episode 270

Aazealh said:
The fact things are looking bad makes me wish to see the group acting together to overcome adversity, even with Guts being uncontrollable. Serpico's the one specialized in Kushan casters elimination after all; I hope Daiba's got his head screwed on the right way, else he might lose it. :serpico:
This is exactly what I would want to happen. It's time for the group to push themselves to the limit and realize what they're capable of.

Also, I've become a bit saddened after seeing what Guts sees while in berserk mode. Obviously it's been stated numerous times that nothing is safe while he's like this, but seeing it through his eyes seriously made an impact on me.

It's as if he's re-living a moment of the "band of the hawk" eclipse - the moment in which he was fighting demons off with their own teeth/tusks. To add to that, it was also when he had realized that Griffith had turned his back on them.

Each time Guts goes "berserk" he re-lives this scene, IMO.

I do wonder if the "restored" Casca would be able to bring Guts out of berserker rage?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
carbonater said:
Also, I've become a bit saddened after seeing what Guts sees while in berserk mode. Obviously it's been stated numerous times that nothing is safe while he's like this, but seeing it through his eyes seriously made an impact on me.

You're aware that we saw that in episode 242 already, right?

Is that the episode in which the moonchild stopped Guts?

When Guts looked at them in that episode they were shrouded in darkness, but they didn't look particularly "evil" as Daiba in the current ep. You guys have even mentioned that he looks like Void.

So it still stands that I wasn't impacted during that episode as I was with this current one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
carbonater said:
Is that the episode in which the moonchild stopped Guts?

No, that's 243, although the child appears to Guts in the last page of 242.

carbonater said:
When Guts looked at them in that episode they were shrouded in darkness, but they didn't look particularly "evil" as Daiba in the current ep.

That's because they aren't evil sorcerers... You know, unlike Daiba. And it's Schierke that saw Daiba as covered in darkness.

carbonater said:
You guys have even mentioned that he looks like Void.

Uhh yeah, one person did and honestly I don't think that has any relevance whatsoever. He's got a turban and Void's got a huge brain, that's all.

carbonater said:
So it still stands that I wasn't impacted during that episode as I was with this current one.

Well maybe you weren't impacted as much before or whatever, but we had been shown what Guts sees while in the armor.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
carbonater said:
How exactly am I wrong in stating that something in the story has made an impact on me and made me FEEL pity for Guts?

You're wrong in saying that it wasn't shown before, that's it. Now before you reply anything else please be nice and take a look at the manga. It's all over episode 242, that shouldn't be hard to check. The same shots with the teeth and all, only more of them with more details.

aksaC

Sex'n Swordplay
Awesome ep as always. Thanks, Aazealh. Kinda want more Griffith, but at this pace seems like we won't see him for awhile.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
aksaC said:
Kinda want more Griffith, but at this pace seems like we won't see him for awhile.

I wouldn't be so sure about that if I were you. :guts: I think we'll see him again by the time we reach volume 32.

Aazealh said:
You're wrong in saying that it wasn't shown before, that's it. Now before you reply anything else please be nice and take a look at the manga. It's all over episode 242, that shouldn't be hard to check. The same shots with the teeth and all, only more of them with more details.
Okay, I see what you're saying. I misunderstood and thought that you were saying I was wrong about feeling a certain way. My apologies.

All arguments aside, is the point I was making late?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
carbonater said:
Okay, I see what you're saying. I misunderstood and thought that you were saying I was wrong about feeling a certain way. My apologies.

No problem, it happens (and I wouldn't dare to tell you how to feel about things, don't worry). :guts:

carbonater said:
All arguments aside, is the point I was making late?

Well, I think so. I mean, the "beast-o-vision" was pretty much the entire point of episode 242, with Guts mangling panicked crocodiles and just seeing them as giant mouths and fangs, ultimately turning on his companions. But anyway I can echo your feelings toward what his perception is like, it's honestly quite sad for him.

Judo

Midlands finest
Aazealh said:
Well, although there is no official spelling for the town's name for now, you must know the German edition's spelling of proper nouns isn't reliable. In doubt, I'd rather have us accord ourselves on a single spelling.

like i said, i got confused over the various spellings... i never intented to establish this as the new and ultimate spelling here.

to come to a bit more speculation:

since guts & co. want to leave the town as soon as possible, they eventually won't meet azan on their way out of the skirmish.
if we now assume that azan wasn't introduced in vritannis for nothing, a possible scenario could be that he will, as one of the last few survivors of this battle, meet up with the band of the hawk.
this would imo be a very interesting turn of events.

Just some random thoughts: I'm curious about the extent of Schierke's powers/abilities: judging by how weary she was after summoning the Blaze Rod, she said wouldn't be able to cast spells or call Guts back in her state then. But now that she's out of her body, she may not have to worry about physical exhaustion if that's what she was worried. That also makes me if the others can still contact her via Schierke's hairstrings or not, as Schierke's not longer in her body.

I had on my mind the instance when I Guts swept Schierke off her feet while she was in the astral world with the Blaze Rod. From the warning Evarella gives about not touching Schierke while she's summoning, maybe getting sucked into the armor's od (and winding up in Guts' mind) when it fully activated so close was a risk as a result of being pulled so violently back into the corporeal world.

Judo said:
to come to a bit more speculation:

since guts & co. want to leave the town as soon as possible, they eventually won't meet azan on their way out of the skirmish.
I wouldn't say that just yet. There's probably going to be some more things to do even after their situation with Daiba/berserk Guts is over with. Roderick has said they'll have to take a rowboat to reach the main vessel. The group's going to have to take a bit more time to haul Guts' half-comatose ass to that ship and Azan would be perfect for lifting heavy things. :troll:

At the very least, I expect him to witness the group moving through the harbor and wondering why anyone's out there should Azan be in the vicinity.

Judo said:
if we now assume that azan wasn't introduced in vritannis for nothing, a possible scenario could be that he will, as one of the last few survivors of this battle, meet up with the band of the hawk.
It could happen, but I don't see what Azan can add to Griffith's band that he doesn't have already or need. Not to say Azan won't have a reason to join Griffith's campaign against the Kushans (given the magnitude of this war, I'd imagine he'd see it as a crusade), but I personally don't see him bowing down before Griffith ala Mule or becoming an apostle.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
For like, 5 years people have had reasonable cause to assume that Azan would be joining Guts' band. Years ago (before volume 19 had been compiled) Miura did an illustration with Guts (in his old armor, infact), Farnese, Serpico, Casca, Isidro, Puck, Everalla, Schierke, and Azan. People were assuming he was going to show up ANY episode since before SK.net even had a forum (I think), so it's pretty much a given that he's going to join up. I think even as recently as the meeting with Flora, someone speculated that the Earth Axe would end up being for Azan, but that never came to be.

Chances are he's asleep in the midst of all the commotion and wont even notice that the pier is on fire untill Roderick comandeers his boat to try and escape (I predict Magnifico stepping onto Azan's sleeping face and getting thrown off into the murky waters when our mace-weidling hobo awakes with a start).

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Aazealh said:
He didn't get any broken leg during that fight, and no, having your arm and cheeks pierced isn't as bad as getting a 10 cm hole in your chest. He was more seriously wounded during his fight at Flora's mansion, but this injury he just got is most certainly the biggest since his fight with Slan.

Okay, I think I can agree about that. And who's Voltron ???

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Judo said:

Well, we really don't have any reason to assume it won't be the case for now. I see both eventualities as perfectly plausible, but I don't believe Azan will join the Neo Hawks.

Jhot obs said:
But now that she's out of her body, she may not have to worry about physical exhaustion if that's what she was worried.

Yeah, I don't think that's a problem in her current situation.

Jhot obs said:
I had on my mind the instance when I Guts swept Schierke off her feet while she was in the astral world with the Blaze Rod.

While I'm not sure about this leading to her absorption by the armor, it could also relate to the fact she was so exhausted after the summoning.

Wereallmad said:
Years ago (before volume 19 had been compiled) Miura did an illustration with Guts (in his old armor, infact), Farnese, Serpico, Casca, Isidro, Puck, Everalla, Schierke, and Azan.

Here's the illustration Wereallmad's talking about (it's a postcard), for those that wonder:

dia01nenga.jpg

Wereallmad said:
People were assuming he was going to show up ANY episode since before SK.net even had a forum (I think), so it's pretty much a given that he's going to join up.

Nah, the illustration is from 2001, and SK.net's first forum goes back to 2000. Also, the majority of people were expecting him to show up in Vritannis as far as I remember (myself included), and that did happen. I wouldn't give too much credit to that old postcard though, it's in no way a proof of anything to me (it's too old and the plot progressed too differently from what it pictures).

Wereallmad said:
Chances are he's asleep in the midst of all the commotion and wont even notice that the pier is on fire untill Roderick comandeers his boat to try and escape (I predict Magnifico stepping onto Azan's sleeping face and getting thrown off into the murky waters when our mace-weidling hobo awakes with a start).

That's definitely possible, he was sleeping on a rowboat earlier and the group will need to use one to get to the ship, so...

Dark Wanderer said:
And who's Voltron ???

Google is your friend man... It's a giant robot from an old TV animated series. Here's the corresponding wikipedia entry.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I forgot about the other board. I was still skeptical of Sk.net taking off, so I didn't post there much, I think. Plus it had a really frustraiting style to it. I don't really remember what was so frustrating, other than someone had an avatar of Zodd's ass, but I'm sure it was something.

Also, it saddens me that there are people in this world who do not know of the greatness that is Voltron. I dare to say that the decline of modern civilization is directly related to the decline of Voltron.

I wonder if Skullknight comes in at the next episode, just pops in my head. If he appears and saves Guts again, although it would be some repeat from earlier savings and whatever so that might not be all that spectaculair...We'll see..

By the way; I'm thinking about making art (or just a drawing in Ps/ with pencils) from a panel of this episode, anybody maybe suggestions?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't think Skull Knight helps Guts enough, actually. I mean, what's he doing while Guts is getting his ass kicked and losing his humanity in the beast armor? Searching for God Hand clues? Some friend. Help the little guy out, big brother! :badbone:

"Griffith No More!" said:
I don't think Skull Knight helps Guts enough, actually. I mean, what's he doing while Guts is getting his ass kicked and losing his humanity in the beast armor? Searching for God Hand clues? Some friend. Help the little guy out, big brother! :badbone:

Actually Ive been wondering about that too.. besides hunting apostles what else could he be doing? visiting other old friends like Flora? having sword practice with Zodd? Doing Tango with the Elf king? ...Maybe he goes to conventions or something? :carcus:

I don't think Skull Knight helps Guts enough, actually. I mean, what's he doing while Guts is getting his ass kicked and losing his humanity in the beast armor? Searching for God Hand clues? Some friend. Help the little guy out, big brother!
Heh, I think it's nice that SK lends Guts (& co.) a hand now & then & gets him/them out of some extreme situations. But, if he does that anymore frequent would lessen, even downplay, Guts' humanly impossible struggles.

We, or at least for me, enjoy every moment that Guts made it out of these situation. ;) Don't get me wrong, I love to see SK, but I somehow prefer Guts getting out w/o SK's help. I think of SK as the last resort; so his appearance means serious business, something beyond Guts' reach at the moment.

Exactly. I find joy in Guts' "no surrender" attitude that gets him out of the most impossible situations. It may not be pretty, but he does it on his own steam.

I do love the Skullknight. I'm really anxious to see some back story on him.

"Griffith No More!" said:
He's totally watching CausalityVision in the Skullcave while Zodd cooks him food.

Anyway, awesome episode. I think Guts is really bad shape given he hasn't attacked Daiba yet. I don't recall the beast pausing that long before trying to kill something, anyway. I almost feel like Miura had Guts wounded hard so that it'd make sense that Daiba could do his musings without getting bumrushed. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but I think intervention by someone seems almost necessary now.

Top Bottom