We should have a VS in the encyclopedia.

SlimJ87D

Apollo
I was wondering if you guys would like the idea of having every single fight in Berserk that went one on one summarized and put into the Encyclopedia. Skullknight.net has a great encyclopedia dedicated to an anime/manga, and it seems like it's always improving. Well for those of us that have read most of the manga and would like to relive the fights, we could go to a section where the fight is summarized with pictures much like Dynamite Gloves (http://www.dynamiteglove.com/index2.shtml) does with every fight in Hajime no Ippo.

Well it's just a suggestion, and we can all work on it together.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like quite a huge undertaking. I personally don't have time right now to write something like it, but feel free to take a stab at it yourself. If it's accurate and entertaining enough, I don't see why it wouldn't be Encyclopedia worthy.

It'd also be a valuable addition to the forums so, my advice is to post it here and let the community at large edit and add to it as they see fit. Working together, it shouldn't take that long.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
I'd love to help :) So would we be going in chronological order story-wise or volume wise?
My vote is by volume. It's the logical choice, and afterall, it's the order Miura chose.

SlimJ87D

Apollo
OK, tomorrow when I have time I'm going to do a rough of the Guts vs Zodd (II)

Look at the dynamite gloves page I put, they have it pretty organized.

madd.dawgg

assgrabbed by berserk
I think if a lot of people want to help, the best approach would be a list of the fights. Any fight that isn't done can easily be seen this way. If a lot of people want to help, this would be a pretty quick and painless way to do it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've checked the site SlimJ87D linked and their summaries look really easy to do (1 or 2 pictures with a few lines explaining what happened), it wouldn't take me long to summarize all the series in that fashion. I don't think it really needs to be a collective project, if someone's motivated enough they should be able to tackle it in an afternoon.

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Lol, well I would like to help with this project asap, but I won't be able to after I get done with finals which are next week... and I need to study this week. Their all engineering classes.

EDIT:
Aazealh said:
I've checked the site SlimJ87D linked and their summaries look really easy to do (1 or 2 pictures with a few lines explaining what happened), it wouldn't take me long to summarize all the series in that fashion. I don't think it really needs to be a collective project, if someone's motivated enough they should be able to tackle it in an afternoon.

Some of them are quite long. There are major fights and just spars in the summaries.

This is the average major fight

http://www.dynamiteglove.com/ippovssendo02.shtml

BlitzRonin

Dynamite Glove
Yeah it doesn't take too much work if you just do the opening scene and the ending scene, but I started getting more and more carried away starting with Ippo-Sendo II.

Here are some longer ones -

http://www.dynamiteglove.com/datevsmartinez2.shtml
http://www.dynamiteglove.com/takamuravshawk.shtml
http://www.dynamiteglove.com/ippovssawamura.shtml

What I basically do is take notes in Word and save the pages to a folder while I'm taking notes. I use CDisplay to save the pics while reading.

Then I edit them out with Adobe Photoshop and Save Them For the Web under Medium Quality.

It takes a while, but Berserk fights are differen't. They don't last for volumes at a time (some HnI fights go on for two or three volumes) and there aren't as many volumes of Berserk as HnI.

So you guys should be able to do this pretty easily. It's just important to get a system down and stick with it.

I still have 20 some volumes of fights to cover for Ippo.

Peace

madd.dawgg said:
I think if a lot of people want to help, the best approach would be a list of the fights. Any fight that isn't done can easily be seen this way. If a lot of people want to help, this would be a pretty quick and painless way to do it.

I like that idea. It would be good to nail down which fights to do and which not since there are some fights that end with a single thrust and aren't necessarily worthy to mention along with major battles (IMHO). Well, here's what I can recall for now.

Black Swordsman (Volumes 1 - 3)

Guts vs. Lord of Koka Castle
Guts vs. Zondark
Guts vs. The Count

Golden Age (Volumes 4 - 13)

Guts vs. Bazuso
Guts vs. Griffith (I)
Guts vs. Zodd (I)
Guts vs. Boscone
Guts vs. Griffith (II)
Guts vs. Silat (I) (During that tournament)
Guts vs. Silat (II) (In the camp of the hawks)
Guts vs. Wyald

Retribution (Volumes 14 - 21)

Guts vs. Boar-Apostle (?)
Guts vs. Roshinu
Guts vs. Azan
Guts vs. Serpico (I) (very short)
Guts vs. The Goatman (?)
Guts vs. Mozgus

Millenium Falcon (Volumes 22 - current)

Guts vs. Zodd (II)
Guts vs. Ogre
Serpico vs. Kelpie
Isidro vs. Troll Captain (very short)
Guts vs. Gurunberd
Guts vs. Sea monster
Guts vs. Serpico (II)
Guts vs. Daiba

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's a good start at a list, but you left a few details out. I filled in the ones you missed in italics.

Chung said:
Black Swordsman (Volumes 1 - 3)

Guts vs. Lord of Koka Castle
Guts vs. Zondark (I-III)
Guts vs. The Count

Golden Age (Volumes 3 - 13)

Guts vs. Bazuso
Guts vs. Griffith (I)
Guts vs. Zodd (I)
Guts vs. 100-men
Guts vs. Boscone
Guts vs. Griffith (II)
Guts vs. Silat (I) (During that tournament)
Guts vs. Silat (II) (In the camp of the hawks)
Hawks vs. Bakiraka
Guts vs. Wyald (I & II?)

Retribution (Volumes 13 - 21)

Guts vs. Boar-Apostle (?)
Guts vs. Sacrificial Tree (?)
Guts vs. Roshinu (I-III)
Guts vs. Azan
Guts vs. Serpico (I) (very short)
Guts vs. The Goatman (?)
Guts vs. Serpico (II)
Guts vs. Mozgus' Disciples

Guts vs. Mozgus

Millenium Falcon (Volumes 22 - current)

Guts vs. Zodd (II)
Guts vs. Golems
Guts vs. Ogre
Serpico vs. Kelpie
Guts vs. Slan
Isidro vs. Troll Captain (very short)
Guts vs. Gurunberd
Guts vs. Makara (I)
Guts vs. Serpico (II)
Guts vs. Makara (II)
Guts vs. Daiba

Well, I was trying to keep the one on one theme, since that was what SlimJ87D originally intended and that "Guts vs. Golems"-fight looked more like a joint effort of the whole group to me (like the fight against the trolls, the familiars and the daka). But I totally agree with you on the 100 Men fight, since it's the fight that earned him his respective title.
Maybe some categorisation would help, like: "army vs army", "group vs group" and "one on one fights" or something like that. Dunno.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, since the fights in the series get progressively more group-based, I think it'd be a mistake to simply omit the fights that Guts had help in. The Daiba fight is a good example. If it were only Guts vs X, then we'd have to omit this fight.

I didn't mean to omit them but rather label them differently to avoid misconceptions. (Plus, it looks a little more varied if it's not all Guts vs. X.)

So which fights would you include then, as a general rule?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chung said:
So which fights would you include then, as a general rule?

If any fight's going to be included at all, then all fights worth mentioning? It wouldn't cost anything to add the smaller ones. Anyway, nothing is being done right now, no use reviving the thread just to list battles (especially since the ones deciding what would be included are Walter, Griffith and I).

You guys even forgot Isidro & Puck vs the pirates (with Mule's help in the end), what a shame. :void:

Aazealh said:
If any fight's going to be included at all, then all fights worth mentioning? It wouldn't cost anything to add the smaller ones. Anyway, nothing is being done right now, no use reviving the thread just to list battles (especially since the ones deciding what would be included are Walter, Griffith and I).

Sorry about that, I thought we could make it clear which fights you find worth mentioning by doing that list, but If we're going to do all fights anyway there's no point in arguing over that. I get your point now, so I'll just shut up for now. Just one more question though: Is it okay to host images of the fights on , say, imageshack or photobucket when doing those summaries? Since it's just excerpts there should be no problem with that, right?

Aazealh said:
You guys even forgot Isidro & Puck vs the pirates (with Mule's help in the end), what a shame. :void:

angry3dk.gif

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chung said:
Is it okay to host images of the fights on , say, imageshack or photobucket when doing those summaries? Since it's just excerpts there should be no problem with that, right?

If you just want to submit summary examples you can host picture anywhere you want, however making a summary doesn't mean it'll automatically be featured in the Encyclopedia. This would show that there is some real enthusiasm for the idea though.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Are there really any fights that aren't worth mentioning? If they were given the time it would take to draw them out I think they have some significance to the story.
I don't think it should just pertain to Guts' fights, or have some level of involvement by Guts to be worth mentioning.

1st summary atttempt (pic heavy)

CnC said:
Are there really any fights that aren't worth mentioning?

Well...
167copy0hc.jpg
But then, it might be a good idea to include those too for comic relief, maybe?

Anyway, here's my attempt at doing a fight-summary, please bear in mind that I'm not very good at writing, especially in English, so everybody, feel free to post your own summaries or change the phrases as you please! It's still pretty rough but that's basically what I had in mind for a summary.

smallguts9ll.jpg
VS

smallroshinu5yz.jpg

The fight takes place in Roshinu's lair with the self-proclaimed elf queen trying to seduce her childhood friend Jill into becoming an elf herself.

eggs1cy.jpg

Her attempt is hindered when she realizes that her whole lair has been set on fire by the black swordsman who is now not only destroying her lair, but also killing vast amounts of her servants.
Furious, she orders her minions in an all-out attack to dispose of the intruder once and for all. But Guts proves to be a lot more than just a mere "strong onii-chan": In a kamikaze-like action, he throws himself into the fires, burning himself in the process along with a majority of the elves.
Afterwards he pierces one of the cocoons to let it's contents extinguish the fire on his body.

burn9up.jpg

With no more minions ready for battle, Roshinu joins in the fight, only to find herself cornered shortly after due to the disadvantages provided by the battleground (eggs). Yet, she still manages to barely escape Guts killing blow and flee deeper into the blazing lair. There, she pulls the last resort by transforming into her true apostle form looking like a giant Papilionoidea, and now attacks Guts with high speed, trying to pierce him with her proboscis (I had to look that one up. No idea if it's correct).

apostleroshinu3yg.jpg

Realizing that he won't be able to dodge any more attacks at that enormous pace, Guts pulls off a hazardous maneuver:
He uses his arms to form a visor and predict Roshinu's attack with it.

visor7vi.jpg

He then voluntarily lets his right arm get skewered and just narrowly avoids his head getting the same treat by deflecting the threat with his iron arm.
As a reaction, Roshinu flies towards the sky, carrying the impaled Guts with her, threatening to kill him and teasing him the whole time. However, she notices too late that Guts' cannon is being aimed at her the whole time and thus she receives a point-blank shot in her stomach, but still manages to survive after falling on the ground.

falling2wn.jpg

Having taken serious injuries from the fall, Guts curses himself for having already missed three chances to kill Roshinu.
The battle suddenly ceases with Roshinu trying to rescue Jill who is still trapped in the burning cave. But Guts, totally ignoring the possible danger of killing Jill as well, mercilessly attacks Roshinu from behind and impales her with the dragon slayer.
Frenzied, Roshinu takes flight once more, determined to kill Guts in mid-air to prove that no human could ever hurt an elf.

80copy5sv.jpg

She actually manages to score a hit on Guts head and spear it. But just when she is about to cry in triumph, Guts face turns around:

089copy2xs.jpg

09091copy6mk.jpg

Defeated, Roshinu finally admits to herself that she didn't find any elves at all and finally finds peace in death after saying farewell to Jill.

125copy5cf.jpg

126copy1gb.jpg
End of summary​

Any thoughts?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Theres more to the fight than this. Guts conflict with killing children, for one. The first confrontation with Roshinu and the paralytic dust that Roshine's wings excrete. ect.

CnC said:
Theres more to the fight than this. Guts conflict with killing children, for one. The first confrontation with Roshinu and the paralytic dust that Roshine's wings excrete. ect.

Thanks for the crits! This is pretty much how I hope the process of doing a summary will be. So if anyone thinks another aspect should be included as well, feel free to mention it, I'll try to include it as good as I can.

Top Bottom