We should have a VS in the encyclopedia.

I don't know if going into a huge amount of detail on every fight is such a great idea. Mainly because with the amount of fighting in the series and the amount of people who check out the encyclopedia without having read the later volumes. It would be a big task and might possibly ruin the effect of reading them for the first time for people new to the series. I still think it's a cool idea if you document each fight and when it took place in the series, but leave out the spoilers if possible. That's my opinion whether it matters or not.

Maybe this could be avoided with a big SPOILER warning on the section, that way it will be just up to the user/observer if it is worth seeing it or not (IMO of course).

BTW I also support the Battle Chronicle idea, nice beginning Chung :guts:

Yami no Tsubasa said:
Maybe this could be avoided with a big SPOILER warning on the section,

Yeh, you could do that. Maybe instead of plot regurgitation you could have the signifigance of the fight to the story and how it develops the characters etc. It might be a helpful tool for killing off alot of noob questions.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Borgoff said:
I don't know if going into a huge amount of detail on every fight is such a great idea. Mainly because with the amount of fighting in the series and the amount of people who check out the encyclopedia without having read the later volumes. It would be a big task and might possibly ruin the effect of reading them for the first time for people new to the series. I still think it's a cool idea if you document each fight and when it took place in the series, but leave out the spoilers if possible. That's my opinion whether it matters or not.

I thought the whole purpose of the VS section was to explain every significant fight in great detail.  If people are worried about spoiling the fights by reading the VS section, then this can easily be alleviated, as Yami no Tsubasa said, by putting a spoiler warning on the section.  Personally, I would love it if the fight summaries were as detailed as humanly possible.  The Roshinu fight that Chung wrote up is a good start but it could definitely use some filling in, as CnC explained.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm all for the creation of new content but... after some thinking, why not just read the manga? I mean, the fights are pretty self-explanatory. What function do these serve?

Are we going to have a braille version for people that can't read or look at the manga? Now THAT has a function.

Walter said:
I'm all for the creation of new content but... after some thinking, why not just read the manga?

My point exactly. If it offers something extra that you can't get from reading the manga (rather than posting a huge chunk of it.) Then cool...but I think Miura's already explained the fights well enough for my liking.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
I'm all for the creation of new content but... after some thinking, why not just read the manga? I mean, the fights are pretty self-explanatory. What function do these serve?

Are we going to have a braille version for people that can't read or look at the manga? Now THAT has a function.

I agree. I would think the encyclopedia serves to expand apon the themes, occurances, ect of the manga rather than act as substitute of reading them.

Yeah well, why list characters? If you read the manga you'll also know who they are. :puck:
And as Borgoff had mentioned earlier, it might be nice to see the battles' effects on character development and to kill off some noob questions by doing so, if possible.

But then, as you said, the fights are pretty self-explanatory. And I must admit everyone has VERY different opinions on how much detail should be put into such a project .
And the noob questions might actually be part of the whole fun, when taking a look at temijun's thread... so let's just all read the manga and be happy with it, I guess :miura:.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Chung said:
Yeah well, why list characters? If you read the manga you'll also know who they are. :puck:
And as Borgoff had mentioned earlier, it might be nice to see the battles' effects on character development and to kill off some noob questions by doing so, if possible.

Those two are hardly comparable. A list of characters and locations hardly acts a narrative device.
I'm not trying to tell you "you wasted your time" or anything.
And I basically said earlier, there is more going on in these fights. An expansion or elaboration on the significance of these fights would be a lot more worthy of recording in the encyclopedia than a retelling of what has been illustrated in the manga.

CnC said:
Those two are hardly comparable. A list of characters and locations hardly acts a narrative device.
I'm not trying to tell you "you wasted your time" or anything.
And I basically said earlier, there is more going on in these fights. An expansion or elaboration on the significance of these fights would be a lot more worthy of recording in the encyclopedia than a retelling of what has been illustrated in the manga.

Well, I was going to post an update including the things you had mentioned earlier, but now that you're putting it that way, I guess you're right. Those things can't be explained by just summarizing a fight. It was still kinda fun though, sort of. :guts:

Chung, I think you did a great job. :void:

Walter is making sense, though, might as well just summarize the whole thing, and that would be worthless since it would be better to just reread the manga.

I STILL ENJOYED THE AWESOME HIT SINGLE.

When I said to elaborate on the effects the fights have on the plot (not re-telling the story with pretty words and pictures) That was one of the only purposes I could see in documenting the fights. It might be useful just to post a reference as to which episode each fight takes place for people to use....but I don't know if the amount of work is necessary when Miura has already done it. I just didn't want to shatter your dreams right off the bat. I'll leave that to the mods.  :chomp:

i made one using screen capture from my ps2
it included most of the fmv as well as gameplay footage.

http://www.god-hand.net/demo/guts_gru.wmv

"save target as"

*I used parts of the gameplay footage from my earlier post from
http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=4725.msg96672#msg96672
and in the process, the sound went off and on at some points, so have an mp3 running or something :guts:

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Walter said:
I'm all for the creation of new content but... after some thinking, why not just read the manga? I mean, the fights are pretty self-explanatory.  What function do these serve?

Are we going to have a braille version for people that can't read or look at the manga?  Now THAT has a function.

I think that a VS would be significant because 1. For some of use that just want to look and read about the fight right away instead of searching for them in our mangas. Some of us are by our computers more then we are by our book shelves. 2. It just builds up Berserk hype, and shows how awesome and skilled Guts is, and how much he's improved. I can show my friends "Check out this one fight" and they will be drawn into Berserk. Sure it spoiled a fight, but they wouldn't be into Berserk and buying the mangas without showing them how awesome Guts is.

I also think every fight Guts has been in has been extremely significant in the manga, how many of us would be fans if we didn't see these fights. Since these fights are that significant, I just thought that it would be good to have in the encyclopedia since it seems to give information about the most significant facts, events, etc... that had a large impact in Berserk or defines Berserk as Berserk and not just some other crap like pokemon or BS FLCL. (Yes, I think that anime and manga is crap.)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds nice and all IN THEORY, but I still fail to see the point in providing Reader's Digest for Berserk, since everyone who follows the series will already know the fights pretty well. And like I said in an earlier post, what does the text do that the manga doesn't? It's really a mess of a project when you consider the scope and detail of the manga.

Anyway, if you're this excited and confident about the purpose of this project, forge ahead. You could be lapping Chung by now instead of posting about this stuff :guts:

SlimJ87D

Apollo
I was wondering walter, is skullknight.net more of a message board or is it more of a website... I think I'm trying to convince you into turning it into a website... I'm sorry, I just realized that. But you guys have done a good job, having it more like a message board has made it much more interactive resulting in regular users and more.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SlimJ87D said:
I was wondering walter, is skullknight.net more of a message board or is it more of a website... I think I'm trying to convince you into turning it into a website... I'm sorry, I just realized that. But you guys have done a good job, having it more like a message board has made it much more interactive resulting in regular users and more.
Not sure how we got on this subject but... the strength of SKnet has always been discussions and interaction with other Berserk fans. Purely static websites are boring endeavours, in general. The Encyclopedia started as, and still is to a large extent, an accurate reference for the Berserk universe to support discussions, not to be an entity on its own. Honestly, over the now-nearly 3 years since its creation, I'd hoped for a little more user input to correct and add to it but... I understand not everyone has as much free time as me, Aaz and Griff XD

I take your reponse (or lack of) to mean you aren't up to the challenge of writing the VS entries yourself.

SlimJ87D

Apollo
I would like to with the help of others. This is a project that a full time college student and worker can't handle alone.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SlimJ87D said:
I would like to with the help of others. This is a project that a full time college student and worker can't handle alone.
Like I said, you could have been writing entries on it instead of your last three posts in this thread. Time management, my friend :badbone: I only just graduated this past December. Until then I was a full-time college student myself, working part time. Skully, the old admin on BSOM, was a college professor and still found time to run a website, until he died.

::::SPOILER::::

In Volume 43 an epic battle takes place...
As the dust clowds pass in front of the two warriors someone cries out: "GUTS NOOO!"

It's the battle of...
:puck: VS :guts:

guts dies
lol

I'd kill Miura for that :miura:

Seriously now.. I think this VS thing is pretty cool but only the BIG battles should be included.. Tree of sacrifice doesnt qualify i think.. Neither the pirates thing :isidro:
I'll try to do something but dont expect much as my english sux :carcus:

BlitzRonin

Dynamite Glove
Yeah if you guys want to do fights, I suggest you simply start writing them. If SkullKnight.net isn't going to publish them, you can always put a page up on geocities.

You guys should have an easier time compared to me and the boxing matches I have to do blow by blow commentaries for.

I basically did these for quick reference and for those who don't want to read all of the manga to catch up with.

Also the anime viewers can see the fights they may have missed in the manga.

So it serves several purposes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BlitzRonin said:
If SkullKnight.net isn't going to publish them, you can always put a page up on geocities.

Actually, even if it's not integrated to the Encyclopedia it'll always be in the forum, which is the primary source of information anyway.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I would add Serpico, Schierke and possibly Isidro to the Vs. Daiba, Serpico did save Guts, and actually kill the snake Kundalini. Definitely a team battle against him.

Top Bottom