Fans of other anime/mangas?

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Just wondering if everyone out there are fans of any other anime/manga, or is Berserk the only one? I'm really only into two; Berserk for my manga and Full Metal Alchemist for my anime. If you haven't seen FMA I highly suggest atleast seeing the first few episodes. I find it to be an amazing anime (not as great as Berserk, of course, but it is my second favorite). I'm looking for some really good animes out there.. I'm not too into ones that are only fighting. I love books/mangas/animes/any form of media with strong character development. That is what drew me to Berserk, after all :)

so what do you all read/watch? Anyone else a FMA fan? I only watch the English dubs of FMA, since I find them to be amazingly well done.. I actually prefer them over the original voices. So I just watched episode 50 last night (second to last episode) and it came as quite a shocker.. I won't spoil anything here, but that episode made me really depressed..

(edit: just felt I should also add that while I certainly wouldn't be suprised if there has already been a topic covering the same matter, I did search and pulled up nothing.. So my apologies if this has all already been discussed!)

Hey I love the concept of Full Metal Alchemist but i havent watched the show in order. I have to either buy the DVD's or download them. Well Berserk is my favorite manga. For anime, i usually fall in love with short series (25-50 eps.) like Outlaw Star, Trigun, Bebop, Samurai Shamploo, etc. I like Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin(which led me to Berserk), Yu Yu Hakusho, The Tenchi series, Gundam Wing( the only gundam i liked). I cant think of them all but these are the basics.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
It has been previously covered (in a similar though not identical incarnation), so it'll probably be losked soon.  Nonetheless, I'll reply.

I'm a HUGE Tsutomu Nihei fan.  He's the guy who did BLAME!, and has since done NOISE, Biomega, several one shots, and is currently working on ABARA (no scanlations or tankubon yet).  He has a great gritty style and lots of crazy cyberpunk stuff, usually with some biological stuff as well.  Nothing beats blowing up zombies with a futuristic pistol.

I also like Priest, though it's kinda dead right now.  A Korean friend of mine says it's up to Vol 15 in Korea, but it's only on 14 in the US with no future release dates announced.  I've also heard the author may be starting other projects.

Eden is also very good, though I'm not quite sure where it's going yet.  Very philosophical, but still action packed.  It has a very sophisticted air to it.

I also like Death Note and Bleach, though they're your standard popular stuff.

I also read some of the stuff on Omanga, mostly Leviathan (so wierd it's awesome) and Hayashida Q stuff (Maken X, Dorohedoro).  Unfortunately, none of this seems to be getting updated.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Vaxillus said:
It has been previously covered (in a similar though not identical incarnation), so it'll probably be losked soon. Nonetheless, I'll reply.

Ahh, I see. To the mods and admins, sorry for repeating a topic :(

Anyways, most of those you listed I have never heard of.. But sounds very interesting. I'll have to check some of them out!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
As for anime, I liked Paranoia Agent back when it aired on Adult Swim. It was probably one of the strangest things I've ever seen, and I definitely reccomend it. Same with Serial Experiments Lain. As for other manga, I haven't found anything nearly as good as Berserk. :miura: I really enjoy one called Immortal Rain, though. Has anyone else heard of it?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I really don't watch much anime at all any more I havn't had the chance or desire to. But I enjoy Helsing and Gungrave, when I watched them for the first time this year. [this year starting from Aug for me]

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
I also like Priest, though it's kinda dead right now. A Korean friend of mine says it's up to Vol 15 in Korea, but it's only on 14 in the US with no future release dates announced.

It's up to volume 16 in Korea and still going. It's coming out more slowly these days but that doesn't mean it's dead.

IsolatioN said:
Ahh, I see. To the mods and admins, sorry for repeating a topic :(

It's Ok, topics like these are constantly repeated anyway.

As for manga or anime, I currently only follow Berserk and have no plan to change this. I watch One Piece from times to times though, a very entertaining series, although not comparable.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I highly recommend the Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex and S.A.C. 2nd GIG series. It's some of the most intelligent writing I've seen in an anime. It's one of those shows that you actually have to concentrate hard on to follow completely. (Or maybe that's just me :beast:). I also recommend Fullmetal Alchemist and Rurouni Kenshin. I'm liking the Berserk anime less and less everytime I watch it these days, but it is a good series compared to the many that are out there.

FateINwaiting

Berserk must be mine!
Anime i been watching Planets/The Count of montey cristo/Samurai gun/and Samurai 7

Manga: Jojo's bizzar adventure and of course Berserk but i been getting into the new star wars comic knights of the old republic and soon theres going to be another i'll be getting into. I just finished i guess you can call it a horror comic called Revelations i liked it alot it was good but the end was pretty much bleh but it wasent bad. And i just got into Steve niles wearwolf comic and his new vampier series 30 days of night in space which is actualy pretty damn good!

My personal favorites so far are Neongenesis Evangelion, Akira, Berserk, Gundam Wing, and Cowboy Bebop. Trying to expand my library, but am very pleased with these.

S

Some Guy

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I really don't watch much anime at all any more I havn't had the chance or desire to.

Same here ,though I did watch Tokyo Godfathers (I enjoyed it)

As for manga, in the past year or two, read (and liked) Lone Wolf & Cub, Death Note, and Hajime no Ippo

I also read Vegabond. Good manga, beautifully drawn.

Other anime titles include Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and aside from series, I like Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust and Ghost in the Shell (couldn't get into SAC as much though)

FMA was rad, its alot different from the manga but I still thought they did a good job of how they made a decent alternate ending. (sidenote, the series wasnt really finished to me until I watched the movie, the ending of the series just tried to hard IMO). Im an up to date Naruto series watcher even though this season sucks ass, and makes me regret even liking it more and more, Not to mention the English dub's suck. They change around the words so much it, just completely butchers it. Where I was entertained in the Fan Sub's, im completely dumbfounded at how retarded it is in the sub's. Rourouni Kenshin OVA's started my Anime interest. Cowboy Bebop was the awesome, one you cant really ignore. Samurai Champloo has some of the best music, and the series itself was rad. Ive been watching some GIS Stand Alone... But some episodes are great and others are just not pulling my interest, but I agree the series is something you really have to think about its really detailed and the writing is very high quality. Im waiting for Bleach to hit episode 100 before I watch it. Trigun was the first anime I bought and was the first series that was really entertaining, it could easily make you laugh one second, and then be sad the next. I hear One Peice is really good, but ive seen the american dubbed cartoon and it just doesnt cut it for me, its just way too cartoonish for me.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
For mangas I'm collecting and reading Lone wolf and cub, samurai executioner, Vagabond, Japan!, Priest, I just finished up "The Ring" series.  As for anime, there's just not much i can get into recently, even though i did enjoy Samurai Champloo and hellsing, lets not forget FLCL( but thats hardly new).  Also I'm really enjoying the few episodes of Gun buster 2.  The big thing about animes now is it becoming so generic.  I guess it isn't really "becoming" but they always have like the same 3-4 plots, and consistently done in the same 3-4 formats. 

Anime seems like its going down hill.

I enjoy watching anything Ghost in the Shell related, but only in small doses. I also like stuff like Giant Robo, Big-O & Tezuka's Metropolis. Manga-wise, I'm not really into anything but Berserk. I'll read series like Trigun Maximum and Hellsing when I'm not reading American comics/novels, but I won't keep up with them.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I just watched the first 3 eps of Ergo Proxy. It's trippy and confusing, but totally awesome. I can't wait until I can actually tell what's going on.

So far there isn't much story (beyond the whole weird proxy thing anyway), it feels like a tech show of what kind of cool stuff they'll have in an utopian society.

Episode 4 gets a little meatier in the story section, so if you were confused before, get ready to be utterly perplexed (my opinion, anyway :troll: ).

For a long time, before I was into Berserk I loved Battle Angel Alita [Or GUNMM] by Yukito Kishiro. I've been reading 'Last Order' but have been unable to get into it with the same enthusiasm as I did with the original manga. I think I enjoyed the fact the original was set on Earth too and that we never got to see Tiphares untill the end of the manga.

I'm also fond of old manga like 'Black Jack' by Osamu Tezuka and '3X3 Eyes' Yuzo Takada.

I recently read a contemporary stand-alone piece called 'Blue Spring' by Taiyo Matsumoto which is several stories in one, set within modern Japan. Needless to say, it was very entertaining.

Have been trying to track down 'Devilman' by Go Nagai with little success.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
there is just so many serie that i read these days! but for the manga i'd say berserk, lone wolf and cub, vagabond, coq de combat (dont know if they did it in english), le manoir de l horror (same thing here), i just started the scary book manga, blade of the immortal and well a whole bunch that im gonna buy soon plus the gazillion comic book that i buy every month... i think i have something like 15-20 series that im picking up monthly approx...

oh and i also draw my own comic book wich i should release the first book eventually before the summer if everything goes well..

yeah im a comic geek!

oh by the way i just wanted to share with you guys that i've finally put my hands on a guts action figure for the first time im sooo happy! considering that its hard to find in montreal! i think i'll go buy the other copie just to have one intact and one open that i'll put somewhere around my comics

Well Besides Berserk being my Fav anime. My favs are

Najica Blitz Tactics
Elfen Lied
Gantz
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Vision of Escaflowne
Gundam Wing
Death Note
Black Lagoon
Paranoia Agent
Hellsing
Heat Guy J
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Samurai Champloo
Gungrave
Cowboy Bebop
Mahoromatic
Robotech
Fullmetal Alchemist
Basilisk

For all you Ghost in the Shell fans, we've got a new series coming out:

http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/466/Ghost%20in%20the%20Shell%20-%20Solid%20State%20Society/

Mangas:
-Berserk
-Hellsing

Anime:
-Berserk
-Hellsing (old and new)
-Fullmetal Alchemist
-Guyver (12 ep oav VIZ edition, not the remastered or new series)
-Vampire Hunter D (both)
-Ninja Scroll (forget the series)
-Cowboy Bebop
-Samurai Champloo
-Akira
-Gungrave
-Outlaw Star (I like the characters)
-Ghost in the Shell (the series, never got into the movies)
-DragonballZ (guilty pleasure, forgive me)
-Inuyasha (another guilty pleasure, don't hate me)

Sir Longwood

That is exactly what I meant.
I mainly stick with my big three as far as my own personal taste in anime/manga with One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach. I do watch others like the Gundam series, Hellsing (god I love the manga of that one.) Rurouni Kenshin and what not. Probably and all around anime/manga nerd.

Top Bottom