Episode 271

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
blueberserk said:
Nice preview Aaz,here comes the book 30's cover pic(appreciate Johndoe's resourse)

Yeah, I had seen that cover a while ago. And here's a bigger picture. On a side note, please either link to the original site or rehost pictures when you take them from another place, don't just link them directly.

I wanted to keep the surprise about the preview of the new AOW product, so now I can say that I think EndLeSS8 will be really happy to see the new Griffith statue. :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
wonderland reject said:
Thanks Aaz!! Wierd the last page of Guts profile reminds me of Femto... anyone else see it?

Yeah, it's certainly a different look, even from any of the earlier Beast armor stuff when the "spirit of the Beast" went out of it. I was hoping at first it was some kind of strange new fusion of Guts and the Beast but it's probably just that he's gone back to normal (at first I thought the blackness around his eyes and mouth could be armor symbiote that was only drawn back enough to expose Guts' features, ala Venom, but it's probably just lots of blood =).

Also worth noting, very Batmanish looking too, and those shots of him saving the group looked like they were right out of Marvel, and I'm not dissing.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
wonderland reject said:
lol I first thought Batman when I saw it too but I decided a Femto comparison was more relevant and you're right this ep was a bit Marvel-ish.

When Guts was jumping around without the beast his awkwardness could be compared to a young Spider-Man. Or not. =)

Anyway, it was very cool to see Guts doing that under his own will. He barely made it there a couple of times. Very cool and exilarating. Daiba is impressed, at least. Is it just me, or is he a bit nervous; looked like he was digging into his own hand with his nails and drawing blood?

Yeah, he learns to control it. I wonder if he can do that without Schierke's help now.

"Griffith No More!" said:
Is it just me, or is he a bit nervous; looked like he was digging into his own hand with his nails and drawing blood?
He's definetely quite unsettled by this. (And he's digging into his hand, yeah.) I wouldn't expect that from a man like him though. Alas, just another hot tempered control freak.

Thanks! A great episode! A great day for the beast armor! :beast: Can't wait to read the translation.

Next episode April 14th? Time flies when you're waiting for Berserk episodes.

A very hot episode and Guts controlling the beast armor was so cool...don't know for the "marvel-ish" look of the episode(I'm not a regular of comics) but I agree about the Baty looks of Guts in the last panel!
Anyway thanks Aaz i can't wait for the translation

I just thought this episode was very interesting-- it's the first time (atleast in a while-- perhaps ever?) that I've ever seen Guts, in the Berserk armor, doing something truly "heroic" in that prototypical-saving-people-Superman sort of way. He's usually helping people by helping himself a bit, if you know what I mean-- i.e. killing demons and what not. This was just an interestingly selfless act (in the last few pages, when he's holding up the burning ?mast?)-- it felt different from what he would have done even just a few volumes ago.

Also, I feel like in the past, once the helmet has come up, he's gone "beasty"-- is that true? Because this is one of the only times (the only time?) I can think of where Guts is wearing the helmet and yet truly has his own sense of himself-- as if he were really starting to learn how to control the armor (with Schierke's help).

I also thought the Batman/Marvel/Superhero motif interesting-- just because I had never really realized how much of Berserk could just as easily be the back story of a "superhero" type of character-- or, that reading Berserk is really reading about the sort of story that leads a normal person to do bizarre, extraordinary, and slightly insane things for the good of others (much like Batman, frankly-- particularly how Batman came off in the newest movie-- i.e. a little peculiar and perhaps mildly insane). I dont' read anything Marvel, but the fact that Guts has been led to where he is by largely selfish means, that he is a very divided character, that has had to _learn_ to help others, and that he truly suffers when he is helping them makes him _so_ much more interesting to me than any typical superhero type of character.

I dunno-- I'm sure it could be argued that perhaps a lot of these things could be seen earlier, but I've just never seen these aspects of Guts and the armor's character come out so clearly for the reader to see. Thoughts anyone?

CnC

Ad Oculos
QuestionMark said:
Also, I feel like in the past, once the helmet has come up, he's gone "beasty"-- is that true? Because this is one of the only times (the only time?) I can think of where Guts is wearing the helmet and yet truly has his own sense of himself-- as if he were really starting to learn how to control the armor (with Schierke's help).

I dunno-- I'm sure it could be argued that perhaps a lot of these things could be seen earlier, but I've just never seen these aspects of Guts and the armor's character come out so clearly for the reader to see. Thoughts anyone?

Back at Flora's place he woke up from "beast mode", darted at high speed torwards Casca and Farnese (killing some apostles along the way, thus aiding Serpico and Isidro) and saved them. He still had the helmet on. And that was not a selfish act.

So its happened before.

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
CnC said:
Back at Flora's place he woke up from "beast mode", darted at high speed torwards Casca and Farnese (killing some apostles along the way, thus aiding Serpico and Isidro) and saved them.  He still had the helmet on.  And that was not a selfish act.

So its happened before.

Yup... nothin "new" with the armor, but it's still good to know that back in volume 27, it wasn't a fluke that Miura showed his face in the armor after Shierke woke him up. (and he was aware of his surroundings at that time too)

I think Daiba had to draw some blood to see if he was dreaming...lol

Thanks for the scans!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Abstraction said:
Yup... nothin "new" with the armor, but it's still good to know that back in volume 27, it wasn't a fluke that Miura showed his face in the armor after Schierke woke him up. (and he was aware of his surroundings at that time too)
I dunno... This instance strikes me as different, if only for the image on page 09. It appears the Beast is still inhabiting the armor, but has been tamed. As Griff pointed out earlier, this appears different from the "awakening" in volume 27; the helmet isn't nearly as snug on Guts' face as it is now, and the eyes are different. The armor even retained the little skin wrinkles near the eyes. To me, this appears to be a whole new evolution in the Guts/Beast relationship. If that does turn out to be the case, I wonder how long this marriage can last...

Then again, maybe I'm just giving Guts too little credit. What he accomplished this ep was amazing.

D

darkbane

akikaze said:
He's definetely quite unsettled by this. (And he's digging into his hand, yeah.) I wouldn't expect that from a man like him though. Alas, just another hot tempered control freak.
I'm not so sure about that. If you guys mean the left-center panel on page 15, it looks more like he has bony fingers (hence the shadows) and is casting some kind of spell (it's probably some kind of trance for controlling the tornadoes, or some such). He's definitely impressed by Guts, but not "unsettled" or "nervous". Not yet, anyway. I do have high hopes that Guts and Shierke will teach him the meaning of fear before the battle at the harbor is over ^_^.

Top Bottom