SkullKnight Spikes

The Lamb

Luncheable!
I think I missed some important action somewhere, because the other day I noticed that one of Skully's neck horns went missing, and then came back later!

This was SK's first appearance:
volearly.jpg

His horns look a bit unimpressive here.

This is the more angular look he sports nowadays:
vol20.jpg

From Volume 20

Then in volume 26 he missplaces a spike!
vol26.jpg

But he's got it back again by volume 28, phew!
vol28.jpg

So who chopped it off?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Miura's character design for the Skull Knight apparently underwent a few changes over the years. As for the "missing" spike in vol 26, he throws it at Slan's wing to get her to drop Guts. Look more closely :miura:

Thanks for the Skully yearbook though, it was cool :badbone:

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
That is cool, a section on the evolution of the characters would be a great addition to the encyclopedia as well; I'm pretty sure I saw something along those lines suggested in another thread too.
I wonder how he added the neck-protector to his armor and who forged it? No, I'm not about to suggest that it was Godo . . .

IgnusDei

mmh-hmm good.
i prefered the original design, although some of the latter's elements are pretty cool, the fact that it went from relatively form fitting to making him look like an eggman kinda takes away from this aura of menacing mystery that he emanates.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Aw, dude c'mon!! It was cold that night when he went to talk to Guts in the forest! He had the greaves pulled in tight to keep out the cold! :guts: :troll: :zodd: :serpico:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Yeah, I think I like the first one more also. I dunno, the spikes just seem to spread out in the others, in my opinion.

Neat topic though :guts:

King-2E

I'll kick him in the head
I'd like to think certain parts change and grow on their own, but theres no proof of this.

It would seem fitting since his armor mimicks something as organic as bone, but typically when its visible, its done all the growing its gonna do.

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
There's a good chance that he can summon the spikes at will for reasons King mentioned. It seems reasonable that he can bring them out when he's in attack mode.

King-2E

I don't think he 'summons' them as much as maybe they just grow or react to their environment. Much like calcium deposits on actual bone.

Like I said before, however, theres no proof of this, but it could possibly explain the reason the spike has returned.

Another thing is that there's a general consensus that PERHAPS the armor he wears is SIMILAR to the armor guts has and maybe has some properties that are alike. This would explain it changing to fit his needs.

All this stuff is suspect, but I think there's still a lot to be found out about ol skully.

Triggormortis

Walter said:
Skull Knight has modes? Please explain in detail, without lingo.
Attack mode gives 2x to attack, but leave defense at .5, whereas Defense mode is the opposite. Trickster leaves both at 1.0, and gives Skully a dodge move (and can run up walls). When his magic meter is up all the way, he can enter Zweihander mode which puts attack and defense at 4.5, and can fly.

Actually what I meant was whenever he's fighting something he can bring them out for extra head defense or to hurl them at people.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Triggormortis said:
Actually what I meant was whenever he's fighting something he can bring them out, much like "calcium deposits on actual bone."
From my wealth of knowledge about calcium deposits, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they don't come out more when you're fighting.

I've got a theory: it grew back. No calcium deposit BS. It just grew back, simple as that. :SK:

King-2E said:
I think there's still a lot to be found out about ol skully.
Ditto friend, ditto.

King-2E

Walter said:
From my wealth of knowledge about calcium deposits, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they don't come out more when you're fighting.

I watched my knuckles grow and harden right in front of me when I was in a fight about 3 yrs ago.. a lot of it was swelling, but in about 15 min, it turned into somehthin harder..

It usually doesnt happen that fast, but it depends how well you heal, and how fast your blood is flowing.

I agree it grew back, but the bone theory makes me feel better about myself :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Triggormortis said:
Actually what I meant was whenever he's fighting something he can bring them out for extra head defense or to hurl them at people.

The spikes are always on his armor (whether he's fighting or not), he doesn't need to bring them out or anything. He just broke one and threw it at Slan because it was needed, and it grew back later on. It's as simple as that. You should also note that the spike didn't regrow instantly, it was still missing when he fought Zodd at Flora's mansion but was back when he met Guts on the beach a month later. That seems to indicate it takes some time.

King-2E said:
I watched my knuckles grow and harden right in front of me when I was in a fight about 3 yrs ago.. a lot of it was swelling, but in about 15 min, it turned into somehthin harder..

That wasn't your bones growing dude... Let's not turn this thread into a pseudo-scientific fan fiction article please. And anyway, the fact SK's armor is themed after a skeleton design doesn't mean it's bone itself (most likely to be metal). As you (and Walter) pointed out, it probably just grew back because it's a "MAGIC ARMOR", no need to look any further than that with what we currently know of it.

Triggormortis

Aazealh said:
The spikes are always on his armor (whether he's fighting or not), he doesn't need to bring them out or anything. He just broke one and threw it at Slan because it was needed, and it grew back later on. It's as simple as that. You should also note that the spike didn't regrow instantly, it was still missing when he fought Zodd at Flora's mansion but was back when he met Guts on the beach a month later. That seems to indicate it takes some time.
What about that picture of Skull Knight's first appearance? Truthfully, I've never even noticed anything different about spikes up until this point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Triggormortis said:
What about that picture of Skull Knight's first appearance? Truthfully, I've never even noticed anything different about spikes up until this point.

I had guessed that's what you were referring to, but as far as I can tell that's just artistic evolution (kind of like the small changes in Guts' armor). You can see the spikes changing slowly in each of his appearances until the last one, along with some other small details. Nothing determinant in the plot IMHO.

Top Bottom