Episode 271

Eh I cant say I'm incredibly excited about the new look. I'd rather the beast helmet or the original Skull than the weird batman type look, just not too appealing to me. Will it last though when Schierke leaves his body?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
Eh I cant say I'm incredibly excited about the new look.

It's not a new look... Just the same helmet viewed from the back and the side (with Guts talking to them over his shoulder). Except the angle it's not any different in that shot from what it was in volume 27. It reminds people of Batman's mask because of the "ears" and the fact you can clearly see his eyes and mouth but in essence it's just this again:

Guts-helmet.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the helmet certainly appears more organic than in volume 27.

beasteye1.jpg
beasteye2.jpg

Obviously these are from a different angle, and thus can't be compared directly, however the eye alone has certainly become less angular.​

It could simply be that the armor is retaining some of the old changes when it undergoes the transformation. Or.. something more :beast:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Obviously these are from a different angle, and thus can't be compared directly, however the eye alone has certainly become less angular.

Yeah, the eye slots are slightly different, but it's not like it's unusual (they're like never exactly similar from one panel to another).

Walter said:
It could simply be that the armor is retaining some of the old changes when it undergoes the transformation.

Yeah, I could see that. Or it could just be artistic evolution. :SK: I'm fine with it either way.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
The helmet also looks far tighter on his head, the "muzzle" of it seems shorter, blunter, less animal more human so to speak.

I don't see how the muzzle is supposed to be shorter or blunter. Looks the same to me. And it looks tighter because he's turning toward the viewer.

As usual, I'm impressed and somewhat suprised. Thanks Aazealh! I wonder what'll happen to Shierke when this is over...I'm guessing she'll eventually be able to return to her body, but who knows.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Swordsman in Sable said:
I'm guessing she'll eventually be able to return to her body, but who knows.

Yeah, I don't think she'll stay within the armor forever... That'd be quite a waste. She'll probably be thrown back into her body when Guts will "deactivate" the armor, if you see what I mean.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Just got a chance to look at the episode and all I have to say is: :isidro:. Thanks, as always, for the scans, Aazealh! Guts' new look at the end is pretty interesting and I'm excited to see where Miura is taking this. I wonder if Guts will be able to control the armor better from now on or if this is a one-time thing where Schierke needs to be involved for it to work.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
All this talk about the "look" of the helmet and Batman is very fascinating and all, but I'd rather focus on the episode. Like Walter said, Guts accomplished a lot in this episode -- I'm proud of him. The fall was very dramatic (and extremely awesome), but that wound got a lot worse from the landing. Still, he managed to fumble around the Makara corpses and catch a falling mast whilst maintain a much greater level of control over the armour. It's an amazing feet, even for Guts.

I can't see how Guts alone can finish off Daiba at this point, maybe the fight will end with a distraction causing Daiba to go elsewhere. But I hope anyone who doubted his power feels humbled now :puck: Also, Magnifico wins the "Best Face" award again for page 15. I smell avatars ahead.

The highlights for me were pages 09, 11 and 20. Guts rode that DS like he was reffing some trapar.. so cool (poor Eureka Seven joke)

Thanks for the speedy scans, Aaz. Volume 30's cover is beautiful -- somewhat reminiscent of Volume 16's action shot :badbone:

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I liked the sanskrit more than anything. That and Guts' "sore in the mornin'" comment (maybe not just marvel similarities).

Like somes said I've the impression of a new relationship between Guts and the Beast thanks to Schierke(surely wrong) but even if Guts was truly great Daiba is still unscratched he maybe amazed by Guts's agility and raw strenght but we still don't know how powerfull he is...the guy can summon storm almost instantly and still "fly"(levitate seems more accurate)
Schierke's magics are rather powerfull but she needs a lot of time to perform them so Guts's speech at the end of the episode was cool but I'm not that sure that they will "kick Daiba's ass"

S

Some Guy

Great episode, very interesting turn of events. I noticed that Guts seemed to have more control in utilizing the strengths of the armor after Schierke brought him back (his agile jumping and clever use of his Dragonslayer). He also seems in good enough condition to handle more of whatever Daiba can dish out, though Daiba might start playing hardball :zodd:

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
Thanks Aaz.

Well it reaffirms what we've known for a while, Guts acts much more intelligently once Schierke opens his eye.

Might Daiba be using some sort of blood magic?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Woland said:
Might Daiba be using some sort of blood magic?

I don't think Daiba bled at all in this episode and even if that was the case, nothing hinted at him using blood to cast a spell, so I'd say "no".

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry
This is the first time Beast-Guts has helped his posse in a way that doesn't involve a killing spree.

Looks like Guts is in his Wizard stage now thanks to Sheirke. (I figured she'd help him out controling the armor's astral powers eventually.)

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
Knight  o' Skeleton said:
I noticed that Guts seemed to have more control in utilizing the strengths of the armor after Schierke brought him back (his agile jumping and clever use of his Dragonslayer).

imo it was the same as when Shierke brought him back in volume 27.

Flashback... It starts off with him going balls out on whatever's in his way. Then as soon as he gets the help from Shierke, he diverts his attention (as if he's still in berserker mode but can control the beast) to saving his team mates.

Am I wrong?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Abstraction said:
imo it was the same as when Schierke brought him back in volume 27.

Am I wrong?
Well, much like your username, it's too "abstract" a concept to pinpoint like that at this point.

Walter said:
I dunno... This instance strikes me as different, if only for the image on page 09. It appears the Beast is still inhabiting the armor, but has been tamed. As Griff pointed out earlier, this appears different from the "awakening" in volume 27; the helmet isn't nearly as snug on Guts' face as it is now, and the eyes are different. The armor even retained the little skin wrinkles near the eyes. To me, this appears to be a whole new evolution in the Guts/Beast relationship. If that does turn out to be the case, I wonder how long this marriage can last...

Then again, maybe I'm just giving Guts too little credit. What he accomplished this ep was amazing.

I agree with the new appearance...don't know if it's just the armor changing to begin with (as Griffith suggested last episode) but it definitely is much more snug. Guts' witty quip at the end of the episode ("gonna have major muscle cramps tomorrow") makes me think the relationship hasn't changed as dramatically as it looks, though.

CnC

Ad Oculos
"Griffith No More!" said:
I'm posting just to be seen, there's like 30 guests on here right now. :carcus:

what a ham. :guts:

And yes, I think its too soon to start assigning differences between when Shierke woke Guts up back at Floras and when she did it here, both in armor design and in power.

pippin22 said:
He never talked while in "beast form" before did he?
To anyone outside his mind, no.

Thanks Aaz for the episode.

A beautiful one at that; my favorite page being the splash where Schierke opens up Guts' eye in berserk mode. :isidro: With Guts in control of the armor and Daiba's first attempts to kill him failed, things are looking up. Hope Serpico joins in on the fun with Daiba also; I'm not sure if Guts can keep the acrobats up with that makara wound for long against a wizard just getting started.

CnC

Ad Oculos
technically, no, he hasn't spoken with the helm still on. But he's definitely had conscious control before while the helm was still on. I don't think its that much of a stretch to say he can also talk with the helm on, nor do I think it demonstrates some higher level of control over the armor.

We'll see.

Top Bottom