LOTR and berserk...guess what...

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
haha, just informed by a friend o mine, something that puzzled me for amoment yet I was too immerged to notice it during the movie...
But doesn't Balrog truly resemble our no.1 fav party man, Zod The Immortal. I mean, aside the flame an all, I'd say there's a striking similarity...

what does the assembly say?

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
haha, just informed by  a friend o mine, something that puzzled me for  amoment yet I was too immerged to notice it during the movie...
But doesn't Balrog truly resemble our no.1 fav party man, Zod The Immortal. I mean, aside the flame an all, I'd say there's a striking similarity...

what does the assembly say?

yeah, both the balrog of moria and zoddo reminds you of a creature that appears in the greek mythology:

a minotaur

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Also, Aragon looks like Guts from the first eposode with the pahcnio on.
Despite the fact that Aragorn in the movies is scrawny, short, lanky and crusty, yes I guess I can see the resemblance.

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
Aragon doesn't look like Guts but when he put on the cape over his head in the bar room, he looks like Guts when Guts walk in the bar room in episope 1 of the anime.

CnC

Ad Oculos
if by that you mean he looks like nobody... people can look very similar if they have no features whatsoever

Lliugusamui

around the corner
in fact, about the ressemblance between Zoddo and the Balrog of Moria, there's a thing that adds this feeling :

Zoddo is an apostle
Balrogs in Middle Earth mythology are ancient Maiar ( semi-Valar = semi -god ) just as Gandalf and Saruaman, but not as wise-like but warrior-like, since the Vala Melkor made an army of them, with Sauron as lieutnant ( Sauron was a cat in Tolien's early writings called Tifil or Tevildo )

the fact is Tolkien got inspiration from north/scandinavic mythologic and not the cretian hence the minotaur is, therefore it seems like it in the Film, but it isn't clearly expressed, merely a balrog own a fire sword and a fire "fouet" ( don't remember the english word ....)

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Zoddo is an apostle
Balrogs in Middle Earth mythology are ancient Maiar ( semi-Valar = semi -god ) just as Gandalf and Saruaman,
the balrog's were created by melkor, they're indeed Maiar. It's believed that the Istari (Gandalf, Saruman)... belong to the Maiar as well, but it's not proven.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
they are wise Maiar, but they are
there isn't only Gandalf, Saruman ( which means Wiseman ) , Radagast and the Ithryn Luin within the Istari.
Back to the Silmarillion, in my french edition : (i translate it directly )the wisest Maia was Olorin. He also lived in Lorien [ not the same place as in the film since the 2d age, but in Valinor, west to Middle-earth ] , but he went often in the "houses" of Nienna, from who he learned patience and compassion.[...]although he loved elves, he walked among them without being seen, and they didn't know hence came the magnificient visions or the wisedom that he put in their hearts. Later, he was friend of all Iluvatar's Children and felt the pity toward their suffering and those who heard it gave up dispair and their dark thoughts.
It is well-known Olorin is the Maia name of Gandalf/Mithrandir from lord of the ring, Gandalf in Minas Tirith, with hobbits and Gimli says : "Olorin i was in West, which memory is lost"
in 1972, tolkien wrote : we got to admit that Istari were all maiar, that is to say beings of "angelic" rank, but no necessarly of the same rank.The Maiar were "fantoms/spirits", but could incarnate their own character, and hearing that they could take human form( more peculiarly, elfic form ) .
Saramun/Curunir/Curumo was their head from Aulë, then Gandalf/Mithrandir/Olorin from the Valar Manwë and his wife Varda, he was "adviser" of Irmo, third Radagast/Aiwendil that Aulë said to Curumo to take him, the Ithryn Luin were sent by Oromë and were called Alatar and Pallando, their elfic name were Morinetar and i don't remember the second, Sauron was a Maia of Aulë too, thus the cowardice is in their disciples, could we say...

it's not proven, my ASS !!!!

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
they are wise Maiar, but they are
they may be, but as i said, it's not proven.

there isn't only Gandalf, Saruman ( which means Wiseman ) , Radagast and the Ithryn Luin within the Istari.
the istari are five (ore more) beings sent to middle-earth by the valar to unite and counsel the free peoples in their struggles against sauron.

Back to the Silmarillion, in my french edition : (i translate it directly )the wisest Maia was Olorin. He also lived in Lorien [ not the same place as in the film since the 2d age, but in Valinor, west to Middle-earth ] , but he went often in the "houses" of Nienna, from who he learned patience and compassion.[...]although he loved elves, he walked among them without being seen, and they didn't know hence came the magnificient visions or the wisedom that he put in their hearts. Later, he was friend of all Iluvatar's Children and felt the pity toward their suffering and those who heard it gave up dispair and their dark thoughts.

that's correct, though it doesn't prove that the istari are maiar. Olorin was an ainu, the wisest of the maiar _AND_ Olorin was also the name of Gandalf in his "youth in the west that is forgotten". It is very tempting to equate the two characters, _BUT_ noone can say for sure.

in 1972, tolkien wrote : we got to admit that Istari were all maiar, that is to say beings of "angelic" rank, but no necessarly of the same rank.
alright. that should be evidence enough. i didn't read that. where is that written? by JRR or by christopher tolkien?

The Maiar were "fantoms/spirits", but could incarnate their own character, and hearing that they could take human form( more peculiarly, elfic form ) .
The Maiar are those of the lesser Ainur who chose to enter Eä. the maiar tended arda under the direction of the valar, although some, notably sauron and the balrogs, were seduced from their allegiance by melkor.

although far more numerous than the valar, only eight of the loyal maiar are named: ilmare, eönwe, osse, uinen, melian, olorin, arien, and tilion. the istari _may_ have been maiar.
also called people of the valar.

- from the "complete guide of middle-earth".

it's not proven, my ASS !!!!
pleasure to talk to you. :)

Lliugusamui

around the corner
ok ok
let's say i do not own ur compete guide, anyway
the istari are five (ore more) beings sent to middle-earth by the valar to unite and counsel the free peoples in their struggles against sauron.
i knew that, i'd say that they were sent to unite humans and elves, and it worked at the end at the 2d age,

that's just a beginning, i want to see if my quote works well or not ....

Lliugusamui

around the corner
ok let's go ...
in 1972, tolkien wrote : "we got to admit that Istari were all maiar".alright. that should be evidence enough. i didn't read that. where is that written? by JRR or by christopher tolkien?
i read it in the unfinisshed tales and legends ( approximative translation )volume 3, it was written by JRR Tolkien in a letter, and it is commented by his son,
indeed, you could note he wrote that not a long time before his death, maybe he wanted to make the point after leaving...
about Olorin
he walked among them without being seen, and they didn't know hence came the magnificient visions or the wisedom that he put in their hearts. Later, he was friend of all Iluvatar's Children and felt the pity toward their suffering and those who heard it gave up dispair and their dark thoughts.
that's correct, though it doesn't prove that the istari are maiar. Olorin was an ainu, the wisest of the maiar _AND_ Olorin was also the name of Gandalf in his "youth in the west that is forgotten". It is very tempting to equate the two characters, _BUT_ noone can say for sure.
i'd say it's more than tempting, we see in this biblic olorin the behaviour of Gandalf, it's his description for sure ! he also was named Olorin in the west, well, valinor and Kortirion ( the name of the town is changing within years of Kor, Tirion, don't remember the latest) in my humble opinion, thus in Nienna houses as it is explained
although far more numerous than the valar, only eight of the loyal maiar are named: ilmare, eönwe, osse, uinen, melian, olorin, arien, and tilion. the istari _may_ have been maiar.
also called people of the valar.
yes we know those maiar, who became Sun and Moon, is servants of Ulmo, Melian the great who gave birth to the ascendance of Elrond. I don't see in these Makar and Feasse, maiar of war, who ( in the lost tales, Tolkien gave up the idea )served Melkor. In fact, do you think Tolkien would name each of the beings that could exist in a world ? well..., we know how he could be hard-worker, but in a sense, he just named those who were influented in the story
pleasure to talk to you.
the same

Chinmi

The best defense is a good offence!
I just watch Legend recently, directed by Ripley Scott and that Devil looking guy remind me of Zodd. Aside of his face and no fur, his body looks very much like Zodd.  He have that big horn on his head  and those cow looking legs.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
what do you think of the similitude of Beherit and The ring ( like his owner grows evil, it is created by "semi-gods" ...)  ???
It is the opposite. The ring corrupts its wearer (its only real owner is Sauron) and while it corrupts it enslaves.So at the end of the wearer remains only a spectre slave of Sauron, not a demigod.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
god hands are slaved to idea
spectres are slaved to sauron

in both of cases, they have no physical form ...

*i'd like to have the thought of trapped_soul about my last post concerning Gandalf=Olorin : what do you think of it ? did you give up in my favor ?*

Top Bottom