Episode 272

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
QUeeN typhonblue said:
Er... and as far as I remember it's the only creature Guts has fought that bleeds water.

Actually, blood is about 83% water, so you're wrong. :carcus:

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry
"Griffith No More!" said:
Actually, blood is about 83% water, so you're wrong. :carcus:

And a bottle of scope is 81% water. Does that mean if I drink a box of it in an alley behind the superstore I won't get drunk?

:???:

Griffith

No, but I suggest switching to Listerine since it contains 21.6% alcohol.

:casca: <- *Listerine Buzz*

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Thank you Aazealh. I can honestly say that I'm not particularly surprised at who got the first hit and I got to see Serpico bouncing off of Makara carcasses, just like I wanted . . . I'm wondering where rower for Daiba's ship ranks on the job market in Ganishka's empire . . .
Finally, am I the only one who can't help but imagine Daiba like this?

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
I dig the latest episode especially Guts resemblance to the Dark Knight himself. I wonder if Miura-san is doing this purposely as far as his portrayl of Guts being as noble as Superman or Captain America but a bad azz like Batman. B/c if Miura-san is, I have no complaints. I like this evolution Guts is going thru. Before he was an anti-hero who didn't have much of a care in the world and the choices that he made he didn't care who he hurt. Now he's become the hero he's born to be and I dare say that its almost like Guts is the true falcon of light then Griffith could ever be.

Cheers Aaz.

It will be interesting to see if this new form of Guts will be a regular thing now. I admit I'm not too fond of the design either, but if it's part of the necessary changes to Guts's power in the story, that is having both the power and a clear state of mind then of course it's a good thing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
krumm47 said:
Guts has always been known for being powerful, but he's never really had the ideology down. Now more than ever he seems to be fighting to protect others

I can't say I agree with that. His rush to save Casca in Albion and later on his struggle to protect her alone every night in volume 23 was pretty much the pinnacle of this state of things. He was bearing the burden alone, a desperate and exhausted man fighting to protect someone. It isn't anything recent in the story.

krumm47 said:
I suppose these moments are directly related to Guts' gradual opening up to others, and his growing bond with his 'band'.

Same here, while their comradery is of course growing as time passes by, their bond has been present for a while even though some dissensions existed (Serpico). Guts reflecting on his group after coming back from the Qliphoth in volume 26 is a good example. What has really been emphasized recently is the team work in tight situations and against formidable opponents, especially with the fact they're now fighting together against a single enemy (Daiba). We're basically shown the result of the companionship they've had since volume 23, that's why it's satisfying IMO.

QUeeN typhonblue said:
Er... and as far as I remember it's the only creature Guts has fought that bleeds water.

Bleeding is "the action of losing blood", so it's not bleeding per se. Other than that, it's the only creature Guts has fought that's made of water, that's why he said "Water!?" at the end of the episode. Obviously, slashing it splashed water around but was ineffective.

Forest Wraith said:
Finally, am I the only one who can't help but imagine Daiba like this?

I guess you are. :SK:

xbigvmanx said:
Before he was an anti-hero who didn't have much of a care in the world and the choices that he made he didn't care who he hurt.

Well yeah, but that was a long time ago (and he was never completely insensitive)... It's not a change that occurred in recent episodes. It's funny that a lot of people seem to only notice now that Guts isn't the Black Swordsman anymore. Must be a side effect of his peculiar look in the last couple of episodes.

Sparnage said:
It will be interesting to see if this new form of Guts will be a regular thing now. I admit I'm not too fond of the design either, but if it's part of the necessary changes to Guts's power in the story, that is having both the power and a clear state of mind then of course it's a good thing.

I don't think that will be a durable solution, and I point you to Griffith's previous posts (mine too) about it for details.

hmmm...after reading the translation, that episode was awesome...daiba is funny as hell with his grumbling and assertions of prayer...I can't wait to see what power the summoned beast has...schierke comment that it is unlike any beast they have encountered has got me excited

peace

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Aazealh said:
Well yeah, but that was a long time ago (and he was never completely insensitive)... It's not a change that occurred in recent episodes. It's funny that a lot of people seem to only notice now that Guts isn't the Black Swordsman anymore. Must be a side effect of his peculiar look in the last couple of episodes.

People should have noticed then, thinking about Puck and Isidro's comments:

Isidro - Not really the blackswordsman anymore

Puck - Almost a blackswordsman

Isidro - And slightly a white swordsman

(Quote above from the translation of episode 236 on this forum)
Now, if his hair would only become a bit more white.. ;D

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
People should have noticed then, thinking about Puck and Isidro's comments

Indeed, but his "harsh" and mostly selfish attitude (which is characteristic of the Black Swordsman arc) was over long before that, and it's what I was referring to.

Dark Wanderer

Aazealh said:
Indeed, but his "harsh" and mostly selfish attitude which is characteristic of the Black Swordsman arc was over long before that, and it's what I was referring to.

*nods* True, althrough the words of Puck & Ishidro is the most obivious statement so far that he's no longer the same Black Swordsman that we saw before he returned to Godo's to check Caska's status after the demon fetu's warning.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Wanderer said:
True, althrough the words of Puck & Isidro is the most obivious statement so far that he's no longer the same Black Swordsman that we saw before he returned to Godo's to check Casca's status after the demon fetu's warning.

They just made a joke about his hair, it's a bit of a stretch IMO to see a comment on the evolution of his character on a deeper scale in it. It's a nice reference, sure, but like I said I meant something more profound.

Dark Wanderer

Aazealh said:
They just made a joke about his hair, it's a bit of a stretch IMO to see a comment on the evolution of his character on a deeper scale in it. It's a nice reference, sure, but like I said I meant something more profound.

Of course it's a joke and most likely, I'm looking too deep in it. Yet I think that is one of the points were it's most obiviously stated - but naturally, anyone who has followed Berserk since the Black Swordsman time knows that he's different from then nowadays. Now it'll be interesting to see gow Guts will develop from there on...

Griffith

We get what your saying, and that's a cute scene (a favorite of mine as well), and it does reflect his mellowed state and newfound family relationship as Puck and Isidro both make fun of him... but, they were making fun of him, despite how profound the statement is in itself. =)

I think the act is more telling than the words, and his forming of intimate relationships again.

As for the hair itself, that's something else open to interpretation, obviously Isidro and Puck got the ball rolling. But, unless it turned white directly as a result of coming out of the Beast state initially, it doesn't hold the same symbolic meaning outside that scene. If it's a result of the trauma from wearing the armor and becoming the Beast, then it could actually symbolize the opposite (though, you could also interpret that as sacrificing himself/his body for his friends). Keep in mind, the "slightly white swordsman" almost butchered his friends a few of episodes later. He's more Jekyll and Hyde now than White Knight on the whole. And if it's part of the side-effects Skully warned him about (not unlikely), it could ironically end up symbolizing the loss of his humanity (literally).

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Hopefully Miura won't do that thing from Trigun (manga) where the amount of hair thats changed color measures how close they are to whatever change is happening... (hair turns black, plant dies/hair turns white guts turns skully-like)

It would just seem so lame to see something in Berserk that was allready done in Trigun.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Majin Tenshi said:
Hopefully Miura won't do that thing from Trigun (manga) where the amount of hair thats changed color measures how close they are to whatever change is happening... (hair turns black, plant dies/hair turns white guts turns skully-like)

It would just seem so lame to see something in Berserk that was allready done in Trigun.
Yes, it certainly would be lame. Much like the comparison you make between the two series.

Great episode!

Guts' berserk-o-sense was tingling and we seem to have evidence that somewhere in Ganishka's ranks is an apostle. Aaz, I remember your theory about Ganishka not being an apostle being similar to what I had thought. Miura's doing a great job of toying with us eh?

Also, Ishidoro never lets me down.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
THERES A SNAKE ON THE MOTHERF&#*ING BOAT!!

SamLJacksonBerserk.jpg

Thanks for the new scans, Aaz :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
carbonater said:
Guts' berserk-o-sense was tingling and we seem to have evidence that somewhere in Ganishka's ranks is an apostle.

Well, Ganishka himself is one. :SK:

carbonater said:
Aaz, I remember your theory about Ganishka not being an apostle being similar to what I had thought.

What? He IS an apostle and we've always known it. What I said is that the powers he showcased in Wyndham weren't necessarily the result of him transforming into his apostle form and could be a display of his magical powers. Don't put such words in my mouth please.

Damn. Sorry bro. :???:

Do you think that Ganishka's fog form and Flora's fire form are the same type magic? I promise not to twist your reply with my own visions this time. :isidro:

Grifth

ZOMBIES they are everywere ....
PFFFF what does a giant water snake got against batman...ergh Guts. But yeah this battle is begining to ressemble something out off a FF game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You guys' experience with fantasy stuff must not be much more than Final Fantasy then... I don't see any chocobos.

Top Bottom