Watch Old Boy

This is probably the most brilliant movie I've seen this year. It's a Korean film that came out in 2003, directed by Chan-wook Park. Phenominal. The plot is amazing, every shot in the movie is epic. It's the best. Although it obviously has nothing to do with Berserk...I still think if you're a fan of Berserk, it will appeal to you. Must see.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I saw it when it came out, wasn't bad. Nothing new though, it's been discussed before.

Yea, great movie. That hallway fight scene was awesome aswell :).

I suggest trying out Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance if you liked old boy.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0310775/

Stiler said:

I suggest trying out Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance if you liked old boy.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0310775/

Lady Vegeance comes out stateside soon. I can't wait!!

Here's sumthin to wet ur old boy whistle...(that sounds kinda gay)

YouTube Link

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Proj2501 said:

YouTube Link

Yes...yes it does. Homosexuality aside, great clip, thanks for posting. Haven't seen "Old Boy" yet, but now I really really want to. :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Old Boy? Old News! :guts: I saw it a while back, and loved it. Between Park's other movies (J.S.A., Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance), I personally enjoyed J.S.A. the most. Mr. Vengeance is just too much of a downer. But Lady Vengeance ... well, it comes out soon stateside so I'll let you guys decide.

For the manga nerds in all of us, Old Boy is based on a manga of the same name.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Stiler said:

God yes! I love the hallway fight! You never see good convincing questionable-fighting-skills lackey brawls.

Lady Vengance is the bomb too. Wow, heheh. But as far as obscure films out now, try the new "Beowulf and Grendel". It's great!!

Shall we start an International Film thread? No U.S. movies allowed in it tho (not trying to hate on the U.S.) I just think it could be interesting for everyone to pool their experiences with good quality Int'l Films and give some people a chance to broaden their horizons.

Not sure who is gonna make it, but there is supposed to be an American remake of Old Boy. Not only that, but I heard it was supposed to star Nicholas Cage... yeah... I know.

Nicholas cage? Meh, just can't see it.

Not that he's a bad actor(just watch leaving las vegas), I just don't see him fitting the part.

Oh my god...my friend mentioned something like that a few months back....why? Let's see how in the hell they can try and attempt to top the (3-5 yr old) original is all I have to say...
Hollywood can be gay..... :puck:

Proj2501 said:
Let's see how in the hell they can try and attempt to top the (3-5 yr old) original is all I have to say...
They can change the ending, for starters... :schierke:

(and why the HELL is this page stretching??? :???: )

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Because the link Proj provided to that hallway fight seen is really long.

Sounds interesting, and since it seems a lot of SK.Net members enjoyed it so why not? I'll give it a go some time :)

Great movie indeed, shame they feel they need a whitey version of it, but we gotta think of Hollywoods profits. Apparently there were rumours that Mel Gibson would take the lead role, I could see him playing the role over Cage.

If they gave Dustin Hoffman a chance I think he could do well, despite his lack of action movie experience he could learn. ^_^

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Between Park's other movies (J.S.A., Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance), I personally enjoyed J.S.A. the most.

Yeah, I also like J.S.A. better. Choi Min-sik (최민식) is the one that makes Old Boy what it is, without his acting the movie wouldn't be half as good (the plot twists aren't exactly mind blowing). A remake starring Mel Gibson would be hilarious though.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Proj2501 said:
Lady Vegeance comes out stateside soon. I can't wait!!

YouTube Link

ugh... I hate linkin park...

Thats wierd, I jus saw Sympathy for Mr Vengeance. Good movie, but yea, a tad too depressing. I'll have to check out JSA

Audition was good, Takashi Miike makes excellent films, Gozu, Ichi, etc.

Did anyone see his "Imprint" episode from the Masters of Horror series? (It was banned in the US, only showed in europe). I watched it (and I don't see why it was banned really....) and it was ok, coulda been a bit better imo, the acting mainly. Had some classic Miike torture scenes though.

I haven't seen many international films lately, the only ones that really come to mind are "Twilight Samurai" (or Tasogare Seibei) and "Train Man" (or Densha Otoko).

The first one is a fictional story set in pre-Meiji Japan about a lowly samurai in debt, and the second is a romantic comedy about a nerdy IT guy who gets his dating advice from online friends.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Stiler said:
Audition was good, Takashi Miike makes excellent films, Gozu, Ichi, etc.
Jesus, Gozu? Seriously? Even after that ridiculous ending? The only Miike film I can stomach is "The Happiness of the Katakuris," his wacky musical. His style is generally so over the top it verges on unwatchable.

Other good international films I've seen this past year: The Return, Zatoichi and uh... well shit, I can't pull up my Netflix history at the moment so, that's all I can remember off hand.

Top Bottom