NBA Best Playoffs Ever

Who's the NBA's Most Valuable Player this season?

• Chauncey Billups

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Kobe Bryant

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • LeBron James

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Steve Nash

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Dirk Nowitzki

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Dwyane Wade

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: NBA MVP

I guess Ginobli didn't have a very hot year? Too bad. It would have been great for Duncan to get it back to back with Ginobli... :judo:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Majin Tenshi said:
do I want to know who those people are?

Well, not personally, they're probably jerks. Might be able to get a groupie throwaway though. :carcus:

Walter said:
I guess Ginobli didn't have a very hot year? Too bad. It would have been great for Duncan to get it back to back with Ginobli...  :judo:

Both Duncan and Ginobili have been hurt this year. Duncan won Finals MVP last year, and that's still totally up for grabs.

trapped_soul said:
yeah it's definitely Kobe. no doubt - although Dirk Nowitzky is an awesome player.

Yeah, it's amazing that Dirk gets no cred yet he's leading a 60 win team (and he's too tall to get the token white guy vote, and he's not plucky point guard! =). And he can't play D, but neither can Steve Nash. Anyway, the only guy I think can get it from Kobe (or should with any legitimacy) is LeBron James. Actually, I'm afraid he will simply because the sports writers have all been sucking his cock since grade school and he's the "savior" of the league while Kobe is hated and portrayed as the great basketball Satan. LeBron already got the All-Star MVP forcing shots and ignoring open teammates even though Wade was like 11 for 12 and scored the game winning shot, all within the flow of the game. Anyway, I don't think he should get it because despite the numbers, he's wasn't dominating games at Kobe's level this season (he was still learning how, and even got booed at home), he's not that good defensively yet, he hasen't carried as much of the load, his team is better, and he plays in the easy east. He really only jumped into the forefront of the conversation after they clinched and they made a big run with no more pressure on them. It'll be interesting to see how he performs in the playoffs, though.

I voted LeBron because it seems like he makes his crappy teammates perform at least average to above-average, whereas Kobe's teammates just suck no matter what :troll:

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."

"Griffith No More!" said:
Yeah, it's amazing that Dirk gets no cred yet he's leading a 60 win team (and he's too tall to get the token white guy vote, and he's not plucky point guard! =). And he can't play D, but neither can Steve Nash. Anyway, the only guy I think can get it from Kobe (or should with any legitimacy) is LeBron James. Actually, I'm afraid he will simply because the sports writers have all been sucking his cock since grade school and he's the "savior" of the league while Kobe is hated and portrayed as the great basketball Satan. LeBron already got the All-Star MVP forcing shots and ignoring open teammates even though Wade was like 11 for 12 and scored the game winning shot, all within the flow of the game. Anyway, I don't think he should get it because despite the numbers, he's wasn't dominating games at Kobe's level this season (he was still learning how, and even got booed at home), he's not that good defensively yet, he hasen't carried as much of the load, his team is better, and he plays in the easy east. He really only jumped into the forefront of the conversation after they clinched and they made a big run with no more pressure on them. It'll be interesting to see how he performs in the playoffs, though.

yeah, well LeBron is still young and inexperienced compared to Kobe - who is also still young but comes with plenty of experience for his age - and collected three rings to this day. He is also an incredible defense player as opposed to LeBron.
I figure LeBron will be the dominant player in the league in a few years - when Kobe's reign is over.

Elton Brand played an awesome season as well - contrary to general expectations. And so did hi-scorer #2 Allen Iverson and the athletic jumping jack forward Shawn Marion.

-TS

P.S. The top 3 scorers of this season all averaged >30 ppg.  :isidro:

Griffith

Just thought I'd update with this tidbit now that the regular season is officially over: after tonight, only two other guys have scored more in a single season than Kobe has in this one, the name's of those other guys are Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain. :carcus:

Fuck the MVP award! =)

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

"Griffith No More!" said:
Just thought I'd update with this tidbit now that the regular season is officially over: after tonight, only two other guys have scored more in a single season than Kobe has in this one, the name's of those other guys are Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain. :carcus:

Fuck the MVP award! =)
For Wilt, those werent points scored in a game, those are how many women he nailed after the a game.

Griffith

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2421874

Shocking news out of Los Angeles. :isidro:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2422255

Too lazy to make a "No,you can't have an MVP AWARD not yours" pic :void:

Griffith

trapped_soul said:
don't tell me you're gonna buy a new dress now..  :guts:

No, I can't believe he's really going to go through with it. He sort of owns that number, I was expecting it to be hanging in Staples Center some day. On the other hand...

24K.jpg
24K2.jpg

It doesn't look half bad, and the possibiliy of cheesy nicknames like 24K is worth it alone. =)​

Mage said:
Too lazy to make a "No,you can't have an MVP AWARD not yours" pic :void:

Don't worry, I'll make some. Anyway, they officially flipped the M so now it's WVP, White Valuable Player. =)

Seriously, the award itself is losing value (if you were LeBRon or Kobe, would you even give a shit at this point? It's getting like the dunk contest), and this'll look even more ridiculous down the road. The MVP used to go to players that were having a great team seasons AND were among the best in the league. There was a pool of only so many that were "eligible" to win it in the first place, now anyone on a 50+ win team can get it if the media jerks that vote for it like them (LeBron is a "shoe-in" *har har*, but Kobe's window is closing). It's went from vague criteria to virtually none; just make it up! That's not even a hit against Nash (great player), but all the other bozos that got paraded out as "MVP Candidates" this season.

But, it does helps if you play a popular style, are short, white, and have long floppy hair. Jason Kidd did everything and more (like defense, and going to the Finals two years in a row) for the Nets in '02 and '03 that Steve Nash has done for the Suns and he didn't get SHIT.

I guess Kidd didn't have to carry "baggage" like those Amare Stoudamire and Shawn Marion guys (can you even win the MVP when people are saying another guy on your team is the MVP too?).

UPDATED: MULTIPLE ANGLES! :carcus:

1146154253-20060427.gif

whats-that-on-your-chin.gif

1146154454-20060427-02.gif

Holy Shit! You can keep the trophy, Steve. :isidro:

http://mvpwned.ytmnd.com/

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

I was swinging for Steve Nash or Kobe before I voted..... after today game.. Kobe HAS to win it. Man... my heart hasn't stopped thumping since it finished :guts:

Where can I get an awesome photo of that dunk, Griff?

Griffith

Here's one right here...

MVP.jpg

And who would have thought it was only the beginning? That game is right up there with all the other crazy Laker wins in history. An all-time clutch perforemnce, especially considering how much he's struggled with his shot in the series. Anyway, if you didn't watch it, you can't be told, it was just amazing to see. I'm almost glad Kobe isn't winning MVP, just because he's embarassing the shit out of the voters now. =)

BTW, instead of that AMAZING game, here's what some people saw, namely, my friend Drew who uploaded it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dweZdI7OsE

The actual game winner, but it's still just half the story, that layup at the end of regulation was even crazier...

http://rapidshare.de/files/19313599/Kobe_Game_Winner.avi.html

Bwaahahahha, that is an awesome photoshop. Poor Nash :judo:

I watched the last few minutes of the 4th up until the end of the game, and yeah it was an incredible performance. The jump-ball vs time/out or foul was an opportune call for LA, but it still required the execution, which Kobe delivered perfectly.

Griffith

Well, the Lakers did everything to lose this game tonight. Including 2 wide open 3's when they up by 3.

Didn't get the game :miura:

You must be hurting tonight. If it makes you feel better, I'm a Kings fan...

Griffith

w00t said:
Didn't get the game  :miura:

You must be hurting tonight. If it makes you feel better, I'm a Kings fan...

Sympathy from a Kings fan? 

... :judo:

Anyway, I'm not going to get too bummed about the Lakers being a bunch of losers that couldn't get it done in their own building and giving the game away at the end like that, they didn't deserve it, Kobe almost stole it, but they blew it. Actually, it was almost a perfect recreation of what happened in the first game in Sac Town this year. Kwame running and jumping past his man before he was even shooting like an idiot for the tying 3 (all the Lakers had to do was anything but allow a 3, go figure). He had a good game though, I wish they had gone to him more consistantly. And aside from the 3 pointer and steal in game 4, Smush Parker has been a complete no show for 3 straight games. The guy's sinking the whole team (and besides Kobe, only Lamar and Devean really showed up).

Anyway, if they lose game seven, then I'll simply look on the bright side: at least they aren't going to get beaten by the Clippers. =)

BTW, Tim Thomas in this series = :chomp:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!

When Marion landed that dunk towards the end, I knew it was the Suns game. I'm looking forward to Saturday... but I think we're going to be having a Spurs vs Suns conference final... again.

Griffith

Uriel said:
When Marion landed that dunk towards the end, I knew it was the Suns game. I'm looking forward to Saturday... but I think we're going to be having a Spurs vs Suns conference final... again.

Even if the Lakers fall, don't count out the Clippers. They're a more balanced all-around team than either the Suns or Lakers, and they can play fast and slow. If the Suns get Kurt Thomas back, it might be a different story.

:judo:

Sac gave up in the 3rd. It was ugly. Very ugly. Patrick Ewing ugly :judo:

Not a nice way to go out.

Consolation - I am getting Suns/Lakers Game 7. Should be fun.

Griffith

I only saw the fourth quarter, by then it was already garbage time, Bonzi Wells made some money though in this series. Another great game in Washington too. King James moves forward to certain doom at the hands of the Pistons (if he can beat them, I guess he's really teh best ever).

Anyway, yeah, Lakers/Suns has been a dream series, a game 7 was destiny and literally anything could happen. Probably a tight game like the others going to whoever gets the rolls, but a blowout either way wouldn't suprise me (okay, I'll be honest, if the Lakers blew out the Suns, I'd be suprised, but three elimination games in a row and overtimes take their mental and physical toll on any team, but it all hinges on if the Lakers show up or not).

We get fark all games here. Usually 2-3 a week. Playoffs they step up and give us some more coverage though.

Haven't seen James at all thus far in the playoffs. Shirley, for the Love of God, we'll get to see him go against the Pistons.

Top Bottom