Which is the best "recent" videogame?

Which is the best "recent" videogame?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
trapped_soul said:
hahaha. yeah aaz can you please move this to Berserk Miscelleaneous so that the "Berserk" entry is finally justified?  :troll: yeah whatever. to each is own.

and as for berserk: the graphics and character animations are great - you get the feel of how it is to swing the dragonslayer, you can feel how massive it is. The cutscenes were powerful and the Boss fights are just plain fun with lots of great ideas. the movement and animation of the beast was well done.
i second you on that critics on the music although signI+II was Hirasawa at his best.
it's also true that the gameplay is quite repetitive but that also goes for SotC and your much loved DMC3, which i don't consider a particularly great game at all.
The original DMC was cool, but it's successors lack lots of the style and atmosphere of the first part.

-TS

P.S. i played MGS3:SnakeEater and decided not to put it on the list.
I have to disagree with you that DMC3 is repeditive, especially when compared to the Berserk game. In Berserk you hack through legions of mindless and almost identical enemies using the same set of comands the entire game. Sure you get some new spells and you can upgrade a few og Guts' attributes, but the gameplay stays pretty much the same. DMC3 has ten different weapons each with a diferent move set, six fighting styles which upgrade with new moves which far surpass the meager speed and power upgrades Guts gets, and a far greater variety of enemies. The gameplay is extremely diverse with a great deal of attacks that can be chained and mixed. In Berserk, you mash the attack button and steer untill you get the brand mark, then you do a brand attack. The heavy attacks aren't even worth doing. The graphics in Berserk are good at times, but the environments are bland and neither they nor the enemies improve in quality during the cutscenes, even though the characters do. The cutscenes really weren't that powerful, many of them were just the characters standing around talking. If the graphics appear in any way better in the cutscenes, it's merely because they're prerendered, while all the cutscenes in DMC3 are real time yet still are about on par with Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
You see Vaxillus, while I wouldn't bother arguing that Berserk on PS2 surpasses any mainstream game, you're getting carried away here. You've played through half the game, right? Up to where have you gone exactly? I'm asking because I sure didn't use the same commands for the entire game, and all the array of moves Guts has proved useful to me. The enemies, environments and equipment were mostly taken directly from the manga and thus had limitations, and I found some of them pretty cool, far from bland. The cutscenes were also nice enough IMO, and dare I say better than some of DMC3's (with its compelling story... "Evil brother wants teh ultimate power!!").

As for DMC3 itself, you'll have to excuse me but despite its nice combo system the gameplay IS repetitive, you kill hordes of enemies like in every "beat 'em up" game (it's pretty much inherent to the genre). That's not to say it isn't repetitive in the Berserk PS2 game as well, or more. DMC3 saved the series from disgrace but it isn't exempt of defaults, there's a reason it wasn't as much of a success as RE4 or God of War... My point here is that while the Berserk PS2 game isn't the best of the best, it has its merits and given its status (minor licence game, adaptation from a manga) it shouldn't be shamed when compared to major titles.

Also, keep in mind that DMC3 came out after the Berserk PS2 game, which at the time of its release competed against... DMC2 (which in turn was getting old). :schierke:

Now I'll let you guys argue over it endlessly if you want, but I don't think that's supposed to be the theme of the thread.

Voyevoda

Breathe and Start
Sad fact is that the only game listed in this poll that I've tried is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (My first impression of it wasn't all that great, but that's just me). The NDS has really dominated the time I've spent playing games as of late.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CaSan said:
Sad fact is that the only game listed in this poll that I've tried is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (My first impression of it wasn't all that great, but that's just me). The NDS has really dominated the time I've spent playing games as of late.

Well we can always make a best NDS game poll if you want. Or most awaited NDS game. Or both. :void:

Hmmm, I would have to say Oblivion, all the games on the list are pretty good, but I think you would get more out of Oblivion in terms of gameplay time and such.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
RF-Online :troll:

Seriously though, its a good change from the WoW dominent world that we live in. Its very small compared to WoW but it has some nice things in it that are far superior then WoW.

Anyone play?

Graiden
Spirit Server
Level 23 Warrior =O

Azn He-Man666

Was it you who killed my companions,one after one?
trapped_soul said:
looks like shadow of the colossus is the best game, heh.

i thought the outcome would be different.
Well, has the most fans on the board at least; honestly, I'd place Dragon Quest 8 far above it, at least in how much I've enjoyed them.

Top Bottom