Berserk:God's Hand[RPG]

Hello. I'll start this topic off by saying that I'm a huge fan of the berserk manga/anime :guts: and a few months ago I had a thought. Why not make a rpg of it? Now at the present time, I have a team of people to make this game a reality. I'm using the rpg maker engine, RMXP. I posted this here since you are also fans and you would be able to give good criticism. Me and my team should have a demo completed some time around April-May. Here is a link to my official post which has all the info you could want on the game...

http://www.dubealex.com/asylum/index.php?showtopic=6063

Btw. Any help you could offer would be great also. like posting pictures I could use or information about the surroundings and locations involved in berserk a MAP would be great(I've altready looked at the Encyclopedia section) If by chance you are a pixel artist, your help would be appreciated.

here are the sprites in progress...

Zodd-Transformed
Zodd_transformed.png

Zodd-Human
Jamiez3.png

Corkus
corkus.png

Guts(Black Swordsman)-This will be redone
BlackSwordsmancopy.png

Undead
dead.png

Here are the completed sprites...

Guts(teenager)
e609167e.png

Griffith(Noble)
Griffith-finishcopy.png

Gambino
Gambinodown.png

General Julius
General_Yurius.png

Some more Undead sprites
skeleton.png

skeleton-red.png

The title and game-over screens...

berserk2050wp6-10241.jpg

Gameover.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi JamieZ, welcome to SK.net. Looks like a neat project you have there, I hope it'll bear its fruits. Please keep us updated in any case. :serpico:

If you need specific information you can search the board for it and if you don't find anything you can ask for precisions in this thread. Concerning a map of the Berserk world, there isn't any like Nomad said. His reaction was a humoristic reference to the large number of Berserk game projects that never reached completion, don't let it bother you.

Good luck! :SK:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Well, as for the map... There is no sufficient information to even speculate an actual geographic location of any kind. All the information lies in a little button called "search", a very helpful feature if you ask me. To give you an example, the whole map topic was discussed not even a week ago.

Tell you what... You finish this project, I'll even do a nice MIDI score for ya'. No joke.
http://multiterra.mooload.com/file.php?file=files/290106/1138566758/Sign+%28MIDI+espectacularrrr%29.mp3

MMMMMOOOoooo

Thanks for the comments. Its a shame there isnt any maps. I guess I'll have to make my own, its basically so I can easily place where what countries go where and what towns/castles they have in it.
Btw I just used the search feature and now I know what you mean about the previous failed projects. But I assure this will be different mainly because I'm not doing this alone. I have a team of 9 other people helping.

Anyway. I forgot to mention the type of battle system we'll be using for this project. Its going to be a tactical battle system since I think it will do it justice, espicially when your in the hawks, fight army battles, when you fight hundreds of enemies and aquire your companions. There will lots of other custom features involved in the battle system too.

Thanks for the offer Nomad. That midi is good, but it seems more like a type of music you play when you're in a haunted mansion. Something more dark would be good though.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Well, the song is from the PS2 Berserk game OST.  It's called Sign BTW.  But yeah, I can do darker if you like. This one was just a joke in it's original intention.   :beast:

oh ok. That would be great thanks. I'll upload the music I have already that I'm using for the project.
Heres the link... http://rapidshare.de/files/13534690/music.rar.html

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JamieZ said:
Its a shame there isnt any maps. I guess I'll have to make my own, its basically so I can easily place where what countries go where and what towns/castles they have in it.

Ok, be careful not to make it incompatible with the manga though, the point of having no map being to stay vague on where each country, town, region is.

I checked your thread in Creation Asylum and if I had to formulate a critique it'd be to change the "Story" and "Characters" parts. I haven't examined them in detail but from what I've seen they're not so good, did you take them from wikipedia? There'd be that and also some of the name spellings to correct (like for Casca, or God Hand without a 's').

JamieZ said:
I'll upload the music I have already that I'm using for the project.

I see, it's just the soundtrack of the Berserk animated series.

Yeah, I didn't write those I copied them from another site because it would've taking ages to write them out correctly and in-depth. I'll tell you the "story" section is very vague. We are working on the story script for the demo now. I'm starting to finialize it(with proper dialogues and such) theres one I should point out... This project won't be an exact copy of the manga/anime. There will extra parts(side quests) and there will parts that we'll exclude. Thats just a heads up.
I see, it's just the soundtrack of the Berserk animated series.

Thats correct. Thats why I really appreciate Nomad's help in that area.

Closest thing you can do for a map is make a general order of which towns, cities, specific places guts visited and in which order. A starting point would be Midland (Wyndham) or Godot's place. and Guts making his way torwards Enoch then Vritanis. Of coarse the real question then is which direction you want to be heading in? East or west. or maybe south. :guts:
... and if thats the story your going to go with.
for making the game longer I would put some locations mixed up so you have to go back near places you already visited.

PS. will there be a minimap, health, maybe even mana bar? if not a mini map then a compass. maybe something like a journal for quests.. (Im obviously not familiar with the program your using so I dont know what it can do.)

Anyone ever play Knights of Xentar? :carcus:

...I think Aaz is gonna burn me for this. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You don't really NEED an overworld map for RPGs, you know. As long as there's a logical sequence of events, they could just unfold as the player progresses. I've always thought the artificial "freedom" of an overworld map was pretty redundant, outside of the feeling of nostalgia it brings.

If you're just guessing where locations are based on relation to story events, (ramen left out several locations in Guts journey's, such as Albion, the Misty Valley and Koka castle btw...) it will look pretty ugly and contrived, in my opinion (Midland is only 10 steps from Godo's shack!).

Closest thing you can do for a map is make a general order of which towns, cities, specific places guts visited and in which order. A starting point would be Midland (Wyndham) or Godot's place. and Guts making his way torwards Enoch then Vritanis. Of coarse the real question then is which direction you want to be heading in? East or west. or maybe south. Guts
... and if thats the story your going to go with.
for making the game longer I would put some locations mixed up so you have to go back near places you already visited.

PS. will there be a minimap, health, maybe even mana bar? if not a mini map then a compass. maybe something like a journal for quests.. (Im obviously not familiar with the program your using so I dont know what it can do.)

Anyone ever play Knights of Xentar? Carcus

...I think Aaz is gonna burn me for this. Poor Jodo...

I was thinking on having Midland sort of in the center with Tudor the upper right, and having Godo's hut on the outskirts of Midland, towards the lower left, followed by the Hill of Swords. Then it would be followed by the contries(which don't have names in the manga) Which contain the valley of valley of mist, Albion, Flora's Treehouse, Enoch Village, Qliphoth, etc...

We might be adding locations between each of these special areas. Like on a road to the village of Enoch, there'll be some houses, smaller villages(which will have lots of side quests) you get the idea.

Yes, I was thinking of having the idea of back-tracking(having to go back to locations you've been to) It would give a nice free-roam fell to it.

Since you people would most likely never heard of RMXP(rpg maker 2004) I will post some sites and smoe screenes of what it can do...

*MAPS*(Game map)
*This is not my game*

CATALINA_HOUSE.jpg

WORLDMAP3.jpg

TIPERETH_SCREEN1.jpg

TIPERETH_SCREEN2.jpg

MENU_FIN.jpg

Title.jpg

NPCs.jpg

BATSCREEN1.jpg

FOREST_PIC.jpg

EQUIP_DEMO1.jpg

EQUIP_DEMO2.jpg

Most of the features in this game are completely custom (including the graphics) So it won't look like this. Here is a couple screenies of what standard map would look like...

http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thedamnedfields4wm.png
http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thebridgeofthelost9lp.png

heres a link with more info... http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/tkool/RPG_XP/eng/

Thanks for the comments. But now I have a request... Since I don't have most of the manga anymore... would you people e able to post pictures of each town/region? Pictures like the ones on the Encyclopedia would be great. Its just so my mappers can see what the surroundings are like and mimic them into the project(any pics). thanks in advance.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Hrmm.. I noticed your using the RTP default graphics in RMXP. I hope you change that, I would really hate to see Berserk with those happy-looking graphics.

Other then that, though, I wish you luck! I would really enjoy a nice Berserk RPG. Keep us informed!

Also if you need any help making custom sprites, I know a friend who is amazing at it and MIGHT* be able to help you out.

(*he's busy lately so Im not sure how much free time he has.)

yEs, I agree, they don't work well, but wil\th some lightening effects it should be ok. Although it would be good to have some custom tilesets, just one problem. I don't know/good at making them. Unless you know someone.

That would be extremely helpful to have another spriter. If he does accept can you get him to post some of his work? thanks in advance.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
JamieZ said:
yEs, I agree, they don't work well, but with some lightening effects it should be ok. Although it would be good to have some custom tilesets, just one problem. I don't know/good at making them. Unless you know someone.

That would be extremely helpful to have another spriter. If he does accept can you get him to post some of his work? thanks in advance.

I'd be happy to help with some art assets as well. I haven't done sprites before but I'm a quick study, so if you can point me at any board that explains the requirements of sprite or tileset art for this engine I'd be happy to make with the art. Because I demand that this project shall have art at least as good as mine ;D

Name a character and pixel dimensions and I'll do a test sprite for ya just for fun.

ok Lithrael, you would first needs to tryout spriting first so I can see what you can do(I'm a spriter btw).
Heres a link with spriting/tileset tutorials... http://www.rmxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18665

You can also add me to your msn, so we can talk more on the subject(i.e templates etc) my msn is jamiez_af@hotmail.com.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Lith is excelent with artwork, I'm sure she'll benefit your project a bunch :) I still haven't contacted my friend though, but I'll post here when I do.

Lithrael, I've had a look at your art work, I had a thought you don't have to learn to sprite since I need other types of graphics. Mainly "Facesets"(these are displayed when a character is talking). You could either, draw them(which will look great) or do edit pics from the manga(which wouldn't look too good, in-game).

Thanks Isolation.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
A-ha. Yes, I'd be happy to make facesets! I don't have MSN messenger, though - if you'd like to PM me some info as far as what you want (dimensions, layout, characters, iterations - an example faceset at the size you will be using would be perfect) and I'll get started on a few of 'em.

I was just thinking.. maybe its very early for this but could we intigrate this game (if and when its done) into the site.. I know two other forums that have these rpg games built into them but their both really shitty quality. :judo:
This game on the other hand shows a lot of promise. :carcus:
any ideas on this?

I don't know about that, I've never see it done before. You would have to ask the admin of the site about something like that.

BTW. I'll send you some requests Lithrael, as soon as we get the windowskin complete(used for messages i.e dialogue)

Top Bottom