Borgoff's art

Been awhile...

I havn't been keeping up with posting in here for a bit so I thought I'd throw some stuff up to revive this thread a little. Here's some stuff from my sketchbook lately, pertaining to Berserk. I think the Zodd one is the only one without any real blatant errors. So, if you'd like to critique, don't be shy.
ps- my sketchbook is too big for my scanner if you're wondering why the scans are so poor.

zodd1.jpg

griffith.jpg

grunbeld.jpg

judeau.jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey Borgoff! Some great additions. You've got some skill with the pen. Good stuff.

My fav. is Grunbeld.

As for crits. I'd suggest working from an underlying sketch or at least block in the shapes first. I'm guessing you're looking at the manga and going at it working from detail to detail. Reason I guess this is that there are some proportion issues in these (judeau's arm being the most noticeable). It helps to block in the shapes (pencil, most usually) and get those size relationships right before moving to details.

Other than that tho, I'm really impessed with these. Great technical skill. You and Jin should post more, as I love these pen sketches.

Thanks man. With these ones, and another one I didn't end up posting, I think each time I would too excited to ink them (Miura's hatching style is really fun to draw :guts:) and end up inking something I shouldn't have. Like, on the Judeau one I inked his chest too early and didn't realize I made it impossible to have his dagger thing as close to his forehead as it should be. Not to mention his hand is bigger than his head. haha. But I think once I get a better understanding, or I atleast memorization of anatomy the posts should improve. Thanks for the comments. :zodd:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think that's some pretty cool art you've got there man. Sure, there are some little problems here and there but overall I think it showcases your skills quite well. I like the rendering on Zodd the best personally. Anyway you should post some more!

Current Project...

Here's what I'm working on right now. This is a horrible scan of the pencil stage of a Berserk wallpaper I'm doing. Like I've said before in this thread, My sketchbook is too big for my scanner so the light gets in and messes everything up. But you get the idea. :badbone:
guts.jpg

CnC

Ad Oculos
hey borgoff,

nice one!
As usual your hatching is clean and looks great. Good stuff.
However there are still some proportional issues between yours and Miura's original. Notably the head size.

Keep on postin' :)

That's really awesome stuff. I used to draw, 100's of years ago, back in my childhood. :guts:

- C

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
Your artwork is awesome.  I'd like to see more, that's for sure, and that Guts sketch is looking great.

WHOA! those are very good i am impressed by all of you. I cant really say which on is my favorite but I really like the Guts ones. I am going to tell my friend about this site so he can put some of his on here. :carcus:

CnC

Ad Oculos
kewl update. same deal, tho. Clean line work but there are still the proportional issues like the head, hand shoulder, etc.

I'm afraid I might not be able to fix the arm/hand parts at this point, but the head should be no problem. I'll make it worth while. :zodd:

Raziel

You have a gift with inking, wish I could be as good with ink and coloring.  Don't know why, but everytime I try to ink or color my drawings they turn out sucky for some reason (not from lack of practice mind).  Ah well, guess I'll just have to stick to pencil.

But post more!   :serpico:

Raziel said:
Don't know why, but everytime I try to ink or color my drawings they turn out sucky for some reason (not from lack of practice mind).  Ah well, guess I'll just have to stick to pencil.

Thanks Raziel. If you practise inking Berserk stuff I think it'll help alot. You could try printing off a picture on a low opacity and ink that, or draw it yourself for practise. For coloring, this is a pretty good tutorial I use.

http://www.steeldolphin-forums.com/htmltuts/digital_colorpart2.html

Raziel

Thanks for the advice and the tutorial link.  I'll definitely have to give your suggestions a try and see how they work out, then maybe I can risk actually posting more of my artwork up here.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I like the shading on the armor. the reddish tones and general highlights are pretty neato.

Still got those proportional issues from the drawing. Its like his head is too small for his body.

Keep on postin'

CnC

Ad Oculos
I like this latest drawing the best. It still shares some of the proportion issues that can be seen in some of the other pics but this one borders on being a caricature of the original.

Some nice looking artwork you got there Borgroff, love the detail and the shading on them.

Like CnC said, the proporations do look a little off but even then its only a little.

Dirty Dog

What I wouldn't give to be able to draw like you.
020_1.jpg
(dun dun dun.... :troll:)

seriously though, amazing work, please keep posting! :guts:

Top Bottom