Do you listen to Berserk music when reading the manga?

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Or should I say do you guys/girls listen to Berserks (Susumu Hirasawa) when you read the manga??

I was wondering because sometimes I do and I wanted to know if any other readers do to??

The best tracks I suggest listening to are (when reading berserk) Beherit, Earth, Guts, and sometimes Forces

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
berserker88 said:
Or should I say do you guys/girls listen to Berserks (Susumu Hirasawa) when you read the manga??

I was wondering because sometimes I do and I wanted to know if any other readers do to??

The best tracks I suggest listening to are (when reading berserk) Beherit, Earth, Guts, and sometimes Forces
Dude you have to add "Murder" to that list. It's definitely one of the most played songs on my computer (almost daily). I too listen to Berserk music most of the time I read the episodes, or just something that fits the mood. Anything that has lyrics tend to get in the way of the action for me though.

I personally can't stand the theme song. But the rest of the music is perfect for it. I need to d/l it or something. I wish they played the whole Forces song in the anime. They left out a sweet part in the song. I've actually tried listening to Sigur Ros while reading it and I liked it. I know alot of people on here don't listen to metal or atleast don't like it associated with Berserk, but I think alot of metal goes really well with it...and metal kicks ass. :zodd: Listen to Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness and/or One by One at the Snowman part. :zodd: :badbone:

Yup! My Berserk playlist includes Beherit, Ghosts, Guts, Murder, Fear, Monster, Earth, Forces, Forces2, Zodd2, Indra, Sign, and Sign2. For me, Hirasawa's music elevates Berserk to a new level of greatness.

Walter said:
Anything that has lyrics tend to get in the way of the action for me though.

Since I don't understand Japanese at all, the voice is just like another instrument!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Borgoff said:
I personally can't stand the theme song.
You mean "Tell me Why" ? I don't consider that Berserk music. And I think it's safe to say that Miura doesn't either.

I need to d/l it or something.
Or buy it... :miura:

I've actually tried listening to Sigur Ros while reading it and I liked it.
I'm all for Sigur Rós, but it seems like it'd be a little too peaceful for the majority of the manga. "Svefn-G-Englar" during the 100-man fight? XD Then again, much of Susumu's music is peaceful as well. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Frog said:
Since I don't understand Japanese at all, the voice is just like another instrument!
Well, I don't know Japanese either. But I meant that I tend to steer clear of traditional genres of music, specifically those that have lyrics, while reading Berserk.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Occasionally. I tend to be a one-way street and like to either concentrate on the music or concentrate on the manga, but occasionally I do listen to some of the Berserk soundtrack while I read.

Walter said:
I'm all for Sigur Rós, but it seems like it'd be a little too peaceful for the majority of the manga. "Svefn-G-Englar" during the 100-man fight? XD  Then again, much of Susumu's music is peaceful as well.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.

You're right, doesn't suit some parts as well as other music would. But it seems to work alright with early glory years stuff.

I usually Listen to Berserk Music when I am reading the manga. Gives the manga atmosphere and alot of movement. I usually listen to music when I am reading good books, I have to match it to which ever music would fit with the book

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Yeah, Susumu Hirasawa's music is surprisingly fitting for many parts of the Berserk Manga. Forces is, needless to say, a big favorite for me to listen to while reading. It sets the atmosphere pretty well, if I do say so myself. Has anyone read the lyrics for it? Great stuff. I'm big fan of Sign and Sign 2, also. :serpico:

I have read the forces Lyrics, Very excellently written. The English translation is ok, Not perfect but good. I would like to hear Blind Guardian sing Forces though. lol that would be awsome!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
I have read the forces Lyrics, Very excellently written. The English translation is ok, Not perfect but good.

What are you talking about? How can you judge whether a translation is good or not (same for the song being well written) when you don't speak the original language? You just can't. Here's a good translation of the lyrics of Forces that goes back to BSOM:

Olivier Hague said:
Berserk ~Forces~

Hai Yai Forces Hai Yai Forces

(Time strikes with waves that seem to drive clouds away
Answering silenced voices that creep down the roads by night

I won't forget About you
Standing alone On a doomed path

Enduring the rain with the elegance Of a struck bird

Planet cleansed by the blood of this unmendable world
Sleeping planet Tell the epic story Of this night

I won't forget About you
Living alone A freezing night

Now, echoing voices Be born again And become forces

Hai Yai Forces Hai Yai Forces

Listen Even the wind is crying Standing Shadowy tower
May it light your way, as you creep down the roads by night, under the rain

I won't forget About you
Standing alone On a doomed path

Go, now Talkative shadows, come And show the way

Hai Yai Forces Hai Yai Forces)

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
is the soundtrack hard to find? like do you think i could find it in a big musik store or i would have to order it from some japanese website or something?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
By the way, you can buy MP3s of Sign & Sign2, Hirasawa's music from the Berserk PS2 game, straight from his site. Skip the middle man. ;)

http://www.chaosunion.com/WORLDCELL/e/

Other stuff of his that makes good Berserk soundtrackiness (all of these are for sale straight from him at http://www.s-hirasawa.com/teslakite/e/index_cd.htm )

The Paranoia Agent OST - This is the only CD of his that's been officially released in the US, and is available most places that carry anime. Many tracks feel very electronic, not quite right for Berserk, but others fit it well - the Final Fantasy style parody stuff always reminds me of Isidro, and the comedy tracks are great for Puck.

Millenium Actress OST - Lots and lots of really, REALLY atmospheric music. The film was a desperate, romantic chase and the soundtrack delivers all that. Many of the tracks are essentially dramatic, instrumental versions of songs from other albums.

Lost Legend OST - This is quieter, slightly more orchestral and much more theatrical feeling music. It was composed for a spectacle show, reminds me a bit of Cirque De Socan'tspell. It's also only $16.

Ice9 - this is his new guitar album, big sweeping lonely riffs abound.

When purchasing the Berserk OST, be mindful of piracy. There's no point shelling out your hard earned cash for a SonMay release. The LEGIT version is published by Vap and has the code VPCG-84639.

S

smoke

I don't like people ripping on "Tell Me Why". It's a good song. It's not epic like the other songs but I think it still works well.

I listen to whatever when reading Berserk. I don't change tracks just for reading the manga.

I sometimes do but usually it's just some ambient that doesn't take your mind off the manga but is more pleasant than listening to your computer humming.
The Berserk soundtrack only has what 9 songs? So you can't really listen to it for more than one volume and I don't wanna change the song to match what's happening on the manga when I'm reading anyway.
Behelit is my favorite because it just fits perfectly to something supernatural happening

Although I agree that alot of the music is fitting, I personally find any sounds not inside my head distracting while I read.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
I also listen to several of Susumu Hirasawa's songs while reading Berserk.  Some of my favorites being: Behelit, Murder, Guts' Theme, Forces (a classic), Earth, & Queen's Funeral from the anime.  From the games I tend to like Sign, Sign II, Forces II, Sister's Story, and Indra.

Still, there are many of Susumu Hirasawa's songs that I like from his other albums, which are namely songs like Tobo, High-Minded Castle, Reverie Hill, etc.

aksaC

Sex'n Swordplay
I sometimes listen to the Berserk music while writing somethin with action, but never when reading. I can't read and listen to music at the same time.

Tj-Sama

--Vicious Smile--
I tried to listen to it while reading but at times the beat was too fast and didn't keep in with the tone of the manga at that point lol.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
The only thing i really listen to when I read is the Silent Hill 3 sound track. I skip past most that have lyrics, i just enjoy the low grind of metal and the heavy clanking sound. I don't know why think it fits, but it was perfect for the eclipse.

Top Bottom