Do you listen to Berserk music when reading the manga?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
de99ial said:
WoW!

I know that there was a game on Dreamcast (i have movies from it and soundtrack) but for PS2...
It's been out for several years. Check out the awesome intro cinematic with Susumu's music:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kg8hk3QrCBg

de99ial

de99ial
Yeah!

I downloaded all 6 trailers, movie from Gutts vs Griffith, vs Zodd and vs Dragon ;) And more.

But i still don't have an ST form that game.

CnC

Ad Oculos
de99ial said:
Yeah!

I downloaded all 6 trailers, movie from Guts vs Griffith, vs Zodd and vs Dragon ;) And more.

But i still don't have an ST form that game.

Outside of what Hirasawa did (the two "Sign" songs), you're not missing much

I don't know why, but I can't get sign to sound like it does in the trailer, no matter what I do with the equaliser (I know the full length version is musically different, I'm just referring to the overall sound)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
bastard_swordsman said:
I don't know why, but I can't get sign to sound like it does in the trailer, no matter what I do with the equaliser (I know the full length version is musically different, I'm just referring to the overall sound)
It's the compression used in YouTube - it limits the overall sound of the music.

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
I recently reread the entire manga, so I had a lot of songs I kept playing that seemed to go well. I stuck with Tool and Metallica. The song that fit the most seemed to be Parabol by Tool (especially with scenes where Guts goes Berserk with the armor), Sweat by Tool, and Fade to Black by Metallica.
When I got sick of lyrics I played To Live is to Die by Metallica as well, also a very fitting song.
I prefer music to silence in life in general. I listen to a lot of music. I'm not kiddin, I have over 3000 songs on my computer.

:SK: SLIPKNOT  :SK:  :void: MARILYN MANSON  :void:  :beast: CRADLE OF FILTH  :chomp: Berserk should only be read with Heavy Metal music, and the occasional Pink Floyd.  :guts: In my own opinion.

Meh. Berserk OST isn't something I love to listen to *SHIELDS ON* unless I really can't find anything else. The OP and ED are in (for whatever way) "catchy" to me and I'll put them on once in a blue moon. I don't really find myself listening to Monster or much of Hirasawa's work sans Forces I-II and Sign with an occasional Guts theme.

As for while READING Berserk, the answer is "Hell no." I don't listen to anything at all while reading, it disrupts my concentration since I like to visualize an atmosphere or mood, and as much as I think Guts' "Kill em all" scenes are more Metal worthy than epic Wagner composures, I think people hammer on the "Berserk is metal lol" aspects way too much. There are countless scenes that are far more intended to invoke a sense of tranquility or other emotions that have nothing to do with how many people Guts wants to kill today.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Pink - You and Your Hand (2007)

Check it out
Going out
On the late night
gutsyoung.jpg

Looking tight
Feeling nice
It's a cock fight
I can tell
I just know
That it's going down
Tonight
At the door we don't wait 'cause we know them
At the bar six shots just beginning
That's when dickhead put his hands on me
But you see
griffsexyeyes.jpg

gutssquareoff.jpg

I'm not here for your entertainment
You don't really wanna mess with me tonight
Just stop and take a second
I was fine before you walked into my life
Cause you know it's over
Before it began
Keep your drink, just gimme the money
It's just you and your hand tonight

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh oh
Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh oh
griffhelmet.jpg
gutsyell1.jpg

Midnight
I'm drunk
I don't give a fuck
Wanna dance
By myself
Guess you're outta luck
Don't touch
Back up
I'm not the one
by-bye
Listen up, it's just not happening
You can say what you want to your boyfriends
Just let me have my fun tonight-aight
griffyell1.jpg
gutsgoofy.jpg

I'm not here for your entertainment
You don't really wanna mess with me tonight
Just stop and take a second
Cause you know it's over
Before it began
Keep your drink, just gimme the money
It's just you and your hand tonight

griffeye.jpg
gutsghey.jpg

Uh uh uh uh uh uh uh oh
Break break break break
Break it down

In the corner with your boys you bet up five bucks
To get at the girl that just walked in but she thinks you suck
We didn't get all dressed up just for you to see
So quit spilling your drinks on me yeah

You know who you are
High five and talkin' shit, but you're going home alone arentcha?
griffholdingself.jpg
gutsscreaming.jpg

'Cause I'm not here for your entertainment (No)
You don't really want to mess with me tonight
Just stop and take a second (Just stop and take a second)
Cause you know it's over (Know it's over)
Before it began
Keep your dream just give me the money
It's just you and your hand tonight (It's just you and your hand)
griffhand.jpg

Evarella

Re-reading Berserk for the 16th time.
I never allow anything to distract me while reading Berserk (yeah I know, I'm SO hardcore), but whenever I look at poignant panels and all of that, I tend to play songs every once in a while. I go back sometimes and read Berserk as a focus on one character (focus mostly on the scenes of Guts, or Casca, or Griffith, or Serpico, etc), or a certain relationship in the manga (one-sided or not, friendships, rivalries, love, whatever). Those are mostly the only times I play songs that go with the mood, and it's hardly ever metal. But I usually don't do it when I'm trying to focus on the manga as a whole.

:serpico: Hahahahahahah!! That Pink thing to Guts and Griffith's gayrelationship. Oh Griffith, you dickhead.

It was FABULOUS! Especially the last two panels, so fitting! You shall make vid like this.
Actually, I have very affectionate feelings towards YouTube humorous video of Berserk meeting Just 2 guyz!There can never be enough Berserk humour for me.
Evarella, it's an interesting way to read manga, maybe I should try it too.
Usually music just stops me from getting lost in the story but sometimes I do listen to something, some wordless melodies usually. And once I watched Berserk while listening to Dejame Llorar… you don't wanna know. Metal, I don't mind, but not when I am reading.

LadyCs

Not all memories are meant to be remembered
The songs I listen to are usually ones I have seen in an AMV or more. Or a few I've my favorites. Here is just a handful:

Smashing Pumpkins-Bullet with Butterfly wings. One of the greats Berserk AMV's I have ever seen and probably will ever see had that song playing. If you havent heard it go listen to it while re-reading some key points in Berserk.
Forces
Linkin Parks- Crawling, Papercut, or My december
Lacuna Coil- Closer, Our Truth, or Swamped
Frou Frou-Psychobabble, or Shh (pends on the scene)

Best music to listen to with Berserk

I seem to enjoy reading much more when there's music playing in the background. It brings scenes to life and I become more focused on the story. I was wondering if anyone in here feels the same way and if so, can you name the bands you listen to? For me, I've turned into a big fan of Susumu Hirasawa. He did the music for the Berserk OST. His discography is massive and it's all really good!

I can't listen to music in general while reading, because the noise usually breaks my concentration. From the handful of songs I've listened to by Hirasawa, I can't say that I like his music (with the exception of Behelit. I love how eerie the melody is), because it's too cacophonous for me. :judo:

X

Xem

I almost never listen to music while reading anything, especially Berserk. Though everytime I listen to In Flames I can't help but think about Guts' fighting. Also, I agree with Madam, Beherit is a freakin' cool song. It's definitely uber nerdy, but I've sat and looked at the title screen to dvd for a few minutes, just thinking about different parts of the story.

The Music of Berserk (the manga)

I did a quick search of the forums to see if anyone had touched on this but I didn't see it.... here we go!!!

ALRIGHT! I'll assume there are others out there like me who need to listen to music while reading something (especially something of such length and epicness). the first time I read through the berserk I has just started to get into a sub genre of music, Post-Rock. I can't think of a better way for me to experience the Berserk manga for the first time (so enjoyable that now whenever I listen to certain songs I think of key moments in the manga.) the bands that at times became the most fitting sound track for the manga were Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, From Monument to Masses, Russian Circles, and God is an Astronaut

so, what music to you all listen to while reading the manga, which songs have now become forever associated with Guts mowing through Trolls, or taking down an army of pseudo-angel-apostles

Re: The Music of Berserk (the manga)

Oh man, I was thinking about starting up the same topic because the other one just wasn't really appropriate.

I'm going to need some time to look through my music, but there's a playlist that has Iron Maiden, Blue Oyster Cult, a LOT of Dubstep and Dark DnB and some ambient. I'll post a list later!

I usually listen to music while I’m reading and Berserk is no exception. Like some others here have said it can be difficult to find music that suits a manga this diverse, which means I end up switching between different genres and artists all the time. When Berserk is at its most peaceful I prefer soothing (albeit it can be rather hellish and creepy at times) ambient/drone stuff like Lustmord, Nadja, Arcana etc. Then I change to death metal and industrial related stuff the moment Guts whips out the Dragonslayer.

The music that I personally have found most suited to back up the series is folk metal, especially bands from Finland like Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, Korpiklaani and Amorphis. These bands can play quite epic and beautiful music in spite of being pretty extreme at times. The mood and lyrical themes captures the heroic folk legends of Norse mythology and feels quite in place for a manga like this.

Top Bottom