"Xbox 360 is better then PS3" by Sony Employee

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Okay, I don't know if this is new or old news to you all, but it is new to me. I got this from another Forum I frequent. I do not have the source site, but this forum has always been reliable before so I do not doubt it. I'm sure if you really wanted to be sure you could google out for it. Anyways, I'm just copying-and-pasting the post.

Not sure how many of you have heard this, but a sony (former) employee got fired for several comments infering that the PS3 is inferior to X Box 360....here's the article in full.

Sony Employee Fired, Compared PS3 To 360
Posted on Friday, February 3rd, 2006

Sony employee fired for comparing PS3 to Xbox 360

A former employee of Sony Online Entertainment has spoken out about how an online article criticizing the PlayStation 3 ended up getting him fired from the company.

In an interview with PS3week, former SOE 3D artist Josh Robinson said: "All I really did was write a few paragraphs that gave my opinion on publicly released information... I didn’t reveal any tech info and I didn’t reveal different shipping plans. I’m still in awe at the whole uproar over what amounts to NO information."

In January, Robinson posted an article on his blog which read: "Our game just keeps getting moved back... And back... And back. Again, where is the box? Where is the final system? When is it coming out? No one knows and in the mean time people in the industry are starting to get just a little salty."

"You could always tell where the PS3 dev box was because it’s the room that had the F-bomb coming out of it half the day," he added.

But the comments most likely to have riled Sony executives were to do with the PS3's technical capabilities versus those of the Xbox 360: "I’ve also talked with people on the technical side of the Xbox 360. The consistent comment I am hearing from people on my end is, 'The Xbox 360 is better'," Robinson wrote.

"They are saying that it is capable of just doing more."

Robinson told PS3week that he asked at least two Sony employees to read the blog entry before it was posted, and even showed it to an SOE producer. "We were all in agreement that I was not breaking NDA with what I was saying," he said.

However, according to Robinson, he was "Let go at Sony after the article was plopped on the desk of Sony corporate. I was also asked to remove the article immediately, which I did without any resistance."

Although Robinson has defended his right to publish the article, he claims that he has no bad feelings towards SOE: "It was something unfortunate that happened and I sincerely hope Sony isn’t damaged by it... In fact I cannot say enough nice things about the CEO and the VP of the company."

"Did I knowingly break NDA? I absolutely did not. I would never do that and I would never want to hurt Sony Online. Did I dance in the grey area by even opening my mouth? Yes I did and I was fired for it."

Robinson said he received four or five job offers immediately after leaving Sony, and even got a book deal as a result of the article. He has now accepted a new position at an unnamed company in the Santa Monica area - but while Robinson is optimistic about the future, he has clearly learned a lesson from his experience.

"I guess the new rule for me is, don’t ever say anything at all about anything. Ever... Ever."

While I can understand Sony's actions, I think it was a bit harsh.. I mean, Sony shouldn't be allowed to moderate what an employee says in his free time on his own personal blog. It's not like it's some gigantic interview for IGN or something..

What do you think?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
He got a fucking book deal for this shit? Who would read that?

I've always felt that people working for public companies shouldn't keep blogs... And this just proves my suspicion.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Walter said:

Haha, I was wondering the same thing. I can see it now. "THE WAR WITH SONY: One Man's struggle for free speech against an Empire." by Josh Robinson, a thrilling epic of blog discussions and requests to take down your words on the internet.

Its sort of sad that writting is beginning to be polluted as much as the movie industry. Ahh well.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:

I'm sure theres some company who will offer anyone with a scandalous story a book deal. Doesn't mean he took it.

As for sony, they sure seem to be doing their damndest to screw up the PS3. And the "room with the f-bomb" part of that story puts another hole in the whole "easier to develop for" aspect Sony was selling to developers. I think Sony can sell a console solely on its predecessors for so long. Lets see the f*ing games...

oh, it wont be playable at E3, btw

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Big deal about nothing, it doesn't even look like the guy knew much about the PS3 vs Xbox 360 issue. Who's to say it's more powerful when it's not even finalized? If they had dev kits in January they must have been super early stuff, completely unrefined and not optimized.

And it's not a scoop that the PS3's hard to develop on... Anyway, that guy should have known it was coming, big companies in general don't like that kind of behavior.

I really don't care about either console, its all about the games and the enjoyment you get out of it THAT is what makes the difference, when they are so close in technical specs I could care less which is more powerful. Personally though if I were to buy a next-generation console it would be a Revolution hands down.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Same. While I will most likely just stay with PC, if I were to buy a console I would probably get the Revolution. It just sounds like it is going to be so.. Awesome :)

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Big deal about nothing, it doesn't even look like the guy knew much about the PS3 vs Xbox 360 issue. Who's to say it's more powerful when it's not even finalized? If they had dev kits in January they must have been super early stuff, completely unrefined and not optimized.

And it's not a scoop that the PS3's hard to develop on... Anyway, that guy should have known it was coming, big companies in general don't like that kind of behavior.
I have to agree... When you have a employee talk negativly about their own company, word can travel pretty fast back to that employer and well, what took place with this guy is not a strange occurnace. It actaully happened to an old former employee at my old job. He was a dumb ass to begin with but still. He opened his big mouth and it went back to the main boss and yea, he is dumb.

Top Bottom