Griffith's face

I was wondering about this for a while, and I cant seem to find any info on it anywhere. When Guts first sees Griffith in the dungeon, and he takes off his mask, hes horrified. But what exactly happened to his face? We know everything else about his fingernails, skin, tongue, etc, but Ive never known whats the deal with his face. If anyone knows or has any ideas it would help me out.

O

Ozmo

Ok Smith, thanks to you I'm getting this image of Griffith with a Behelit face in my mind. :)

Seriously though, nobody really knows since it wasn't revealed anywhere.

ThaBlackSwordsman

Darkness In A Twisted Light
The main reason guts shrieked is he forgot how indescribably handsome Griffith was, and got an instant hard on.

Or griffiths bony white ass was just switched to be on his face.

i dont believe anyone was ever meant to truely know how fucked his face was.
with all the unsensored moments showed in both the manga and anime, it is unlikely that they would refuse to show his face because it was too horrible for the reader to see, but rather more likely it was meant to leave us to use our imagination and make us think how horrible it could have been to bring guts to tears.

R

Raftrider

ThaBlackSwordsman said:
The main reason guts shrieked is he forgot how indescribably handsome Griffith was, and got an instant hard on.

Or griffiths bony white ass was just switched to be on his face.

HAHAHA! JESUS CHRIST! You twisted fuck! ;D

Gatz probably wasn't prepared to see Griffith's face. He was most likely in shock as soon as he noticed that the handsome alluring face of a great leader, was marred. Gaunt, Mutilated.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Well from the parts of his face that we actually could see, it didn't look all that fucked up at all.. like I dont think his face got much of the torturing done to it. I think it was just that Griffith had lost so much weight.. his face probably looked really sickly and Gutz was just horrified by the fact that this beautiful icon now didnt even look like himself anymore.. just a skin covered skull basically.

number18

a sci-fi bitch
I'm necroposting, but whatever.

I think that perhaps Griffith's face was left in tact, and it was the look in Griffith's eyes that upset Guts so much. Like his eyes were dead to the world and he'd given up all hope...and for how Guts held Griffith in his opinion, seeing him eyes empty (or you know, something similar) shocked him. Like he knew in that instant it was all gone.

The eyes don't lie!
(or something...)

Sparnage said:
i dont believe anyone was ever meant to truely know how fucked his face was.
with all the unsensored moments showed in both the manga and anime, it is unlikely that they would refuse to show his face because it was too horrible for the reader to see, but rather more likely it was meant to leave us to use our imagination and make us think how horrible it could have been to bring guts to tears.

I have to agree with Sparnage.

BiQ_

" ... "
Since the thread has already been revived, I figured it wouldn't really matter to blather a little more... now, about a bit different part of manga, while the subject matter is still Griffith's face...

Does anyone else think that the post-reincarnation Griffith's facial features are, in fact, like a cross-breed between pre-torture Griffith's and ... Caska's? It would probably make sense with the fact that it was Caska's child that gave the physical body for Femto to reincarnate as Griffith again, but it could also be the changes in the way Miura-sama draws the people. It was, afterall, a good 10+ volumes of manga between the last glimpse of pre-torture Griffith and first sight of reincarnated Griffith. And the way the other people in the manga look (as in 'how they are drawn') like has evolved quite a bit in this time too.

Is there a point to this? Dunno... your call, I suppose.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think Miura purposely draws him differently, less manly, and more dream-like, to reflect the actual real difference between his former "mere" human self and what he is now.

As a guy who has few hundred-horror movies in his collection it's not hard to imagine what a starved and tortured Griffith would look like underneath the mask. Besides he didn't look too bad from what I saw. We know he still had lips and two functioning eyes. He may or may not have had a nose. He may or may not have had ears. Can't tell but it's not hard to imagine what he'd look like.

It’s the usual horror axiom. What you don’t see is usually worse then what you do.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
He looked like this...

_1651544_badcd-pa150.jpg

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
I don't completely remember, and I did only see this part in the anime, but during that little day dream thing where Griffith and Casca were married and had kids.. Griffith's face was perfectly fine.. but it was obvious that it was still his post-tortured body.. seeing as how he didn't speek, and Casca had to feed him. That basically shows for certain that his face wasn't permanently fucked up during the torture.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
That basically shows for certain that his face wasn't permanently fucked up during the torture.

It's a dream Griffith had, so it actually doesn't really "show" anything. As a matter of fact, his face, though looking intact, was also darkened during most of the scene, in the shadows. That's not fortuitous, IMHO.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Aazealh said:
It's a dream Griffith had, so it actually doesn't really "show" anything. As a matter of fact, his face, though looking intact, was also darkened during most of the scene, in the shadows. That's not fortuitous, IMHO.

Yeah, I remember that... Plus wasn't their child named Guts? I dont remember specificly but I do remember Casca asking Griffith "You ever wonder what happened to that man with the huge sword?".

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Aazealh said:
Well I don't see why everything else would be all post-torturatized in his dream except for his face if his face had been fucked up as well. Although I suppose the shadow could've been covering something.. but it couldn't have been covering anything too major.

But now that I look at this picture, you can clearly see that there's nothing wrong with his face.. at least in the anime. I havn't read that part of the manga. I think the shadow just represents the fact that Griffith is no longer the amazing, charasmatic, ambitious person that he was.. now that his dream has been destroyed.
image042.jpg

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
DarkDragoon said:
Well I don't see why everything else would be all post-torturatized in his dream except for his face if his face had been fucked up as well. Although I suppose the shadow could've been covering something.. but it couldn't have been covering anything too major.

But now that I look at this picture, you can clearly see that there's nothing wrong with his face.. at least in the anime. I havn't read that part of the manga. I think the shadow just represents the fact that Griffith is no longer the amazing, charasmatic, ambitious person that he was.. now that his dream has been destroyed.
_1651544_badcd-pa150.jpg

What's not screwed up about that?! :\ Yeesh!

Seriously though, I think it had to have been bad, and can you imagine not having your tongue? It makes me cringe just to think about that much of it...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
Although I suppose the shadow could've been covering something.. but it couldn't have been covering anything too major.

Well, the important part is what it implies. In his own dream, how would Griffith, that hasn't seen his face since the torture, represent it? And there's also the fact that showing him as disfigured would humiliate his character. I think Miura didn't show it on purpose.

Remember Guts' reaction when he saw him.

DarkDragoon said:
But now that I look at this picture, you can clearly see that there's nothing wrong with his face.. at least in the anime. I havn't read that part of the manga.

In the anime, Griffith is the king of Midland when Guts kills the Snake Baron. I only and always refer to the manga.

Tristram said:
Plus wasn't their child named Guts? I dont remember specificly but I do remember Casca asking Griffith "You ever wonder what happened to that man with the huge sword?".

The kid was named Guts, and the dog Pippin. Casca wondered about the guy with the big sword, but he didn't have a name.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Aazealh said:
Well, the important part is what it implies. In his own dream, how would Griffith, that hasn't seen his face since the torture, represent it? And there's also the fact that showing him as disfigured would humiliate his character. I think Miura didn't show it on purpose.
Well I'm sure he would've known if his face had gotten THAT fucked up. He was present for his own torture after all. And at that point his characted was already completely humiliated.

Aazealh said:
In the anime, Griffith is the king of Midland when Guts kills the Snake Baron. I only and always refer to the manga.
Haha true. Do you happen to have a picture from the manga of Griffith in the dream?

Also, as mentioned before(I think, I don't feel like re-reading through the thread,) we were able to see Griffith's face through the helmet from many different angles.. and there was no sign of disfiguration. Infact the only part we didn't see was his forehead and the very middle of his nose.

Top Bottom