What are you reading?

Oburi

All praise Grail
I have to agree with Griffith on this one. Berserk is a great read and as he said episode 303 is very interesting. If you haven't checked it out yet i HIGHLY reccomend that you do.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Berserk... I think I've heard of that somewhere. Anyway, I'm currently reading The Stand by Stephen King. Kinda creepy with the whole swine flu recent events. This is my third Stephen King book the first two being Needful Things and It.
The%20Stand%20Uncut%20Edition%20Front%20Cover.jpg

Finished reading Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum recently, GREAT read. Started reading his more successful "Name of the Rose," and while it is entertaining, I'm not getting into it as much.

3 books:

Everything is Cinema: The Working Life of Jean-Luc Godard, Richard Brody

The Book of Martyrdom and Artifice: The First Journals and Poems, 1937 - 1952, Allen Ginsberg

Huis clos, Jean-Paul Sartre

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
D-Scape said:
Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut
Oh man, I love that book, read it a few months ago. I just finished The Stand last night. I thought it was really good although the ending was somewhat predictable. I think I'll read some more Stephen King next. What do any of you guys recommend? I've already read It and Needful Things.

Darklink286 said:
Oh man, I love that book, read it a few months ago. I just finished The Stand last night. I thought it was really good although the ending was somewhat predictable. I think I'll read some more Stephen King next. What do any of you guys recommend? I've already read It and Needful Things.

I'm mostly familiar with his later career. Disqualifying It which you've read, my favorite by King is a book he wrote under his Richard Bachman pseudonym: The Regulators. Most people I've talked with think it's too pulpy compared to the rest of his works, but since it was one of the first I read by him I guess it has a special place in my heart. It was also the first book I read in English (my second language). The Regulators is seen as the sister book to Desperation which is also pretty readable. Both books features the same names, but they're used on different characters and the stories take place in different settings.

The Dark Half is another recommendation. Creepy and bloody surreal.

The Girl who loved Tom Gordon is short, but kinda effective, especially if you have fears of being alone in the woods.

My best advice would be to try out some of his short-story collections like Four Past Midnight, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Night Shift, Everything's Eventual and Skeleton Crew. Some of his most imaginative works are found here, like "The Langoliers", "1408", "The Mist". With a few exceptions I believe King master short stories better than mammoth books.

As for Galapagos; while it's definitely good it failed to hook me the same way as Vonnegut's other stuff - The Sirens of Titan being my favorite.

The Perineum Falcon said:
Huis clos, Jean-Paul Sartre

I love Sartre as a writer and no exit is pretty cool. I like how in no exit hell is other people while in Nausea for Antoine Roquentin hell is the oposite.

Haven't had much time to do some pleasure reading but for work and Grad School stuff I am reading:

Kalman Filtering and Neural Networks by Simon Haykin

Markov Chain Monte Carlo: Stochastic Simulation for Bayesian Inference by Gamerman and some other guy

The Phenomenology of Perception- Maurice Merleau Ponty. ( These one is for personal growth but it may help me out with my thesis)

Currently:

How Language Works, by David Crystal

and re-reading:

Franny & Zooey, by J.D. Salinger

I also made a vain attempt at Lolita and A Confederacy of Dunces, and while they were both enjoyable, I just wasn't in the mood for the styles. It seems I've been having some trouble getting through good books lately; it's a shameful thing.

However, I recently read On the Road: The Original Scroll and found that just by changing the names back to the real life counterparts and the added honesty of drugs and sex completely changed the book for me. It felt much more like a document of a period of not only someone's life, but of America in general. And while the rambling lists of cities and states they fly through still drags on, everything else, all the destinations and especially Mexico felt much more real and exciting.

Edward Gibbons' "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". I'm on chapter 16 right now I'm slogging through it. The book's kinda dry at this point when the last fifty pages have been about the spread of Christianity in the empire with no end in sight. I'll likely be done with it by Thanksgiving. I hate leaving a book unread.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
magicians.JPG

Reading this after a recommendation from a friend, who also enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (Hey, that makes 2 of us now!).

Oburi

All praise Grail
Johnstantine said:
Currently reading American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

Even though I loved the movie, I like the book better.

Thats a crazy book right there :guts: You'll feel as if your going Psycho while reading it because the whole book is written as if your in the mind of a crazy person. At one point it shifts from first person (I ran up the stairs) to third person (he ran back down the stairs) then back to first person all in the same sentence, really throwing you off. Its a weird and wild book.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Yeah. I've heard it's very controversial, so I thought I'd dig in and see what I can find.

UPDATE: I have to stop reading it because it's getting a bit too realistic for me.

Top Bottom