What are you reading?

Second volume of Del Rey's collected edition of Robert E. Howard Conan stories. It's awesome.
Apart from that "The Constitution of Liberty" by Friedrich von Hayek. Libertarians FTW!
And "The 3rd Reich's healthcare and it's victims". Hard stuff.

Johnstantine said:
Currently reading American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

Even though I loved the movie, I like the book better.
Great book, but I actually liked the movie more. The book's a bit too heavy on descriptions what people wear and eat. I know that's the whole point, but the pace is just too slow.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Dembol said:
Great book, but I actually liked the movie more. The book's a bit too heavy on descriptions what people wear and eat. I know that's the whole point, but the pace is just too slow.

yea I agree. And I just flat out started skipping the chapters on music, the chapters were pointless to me.

Bunnet

Gender is our true trap
Wizard's First Rule, an excellent book series. Its quite large having 479 page with ten font type to them but it extremely good

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I must respectfully disagree with the idea that Wizard's First Rule is an excellent book series. :void:

Somewhat hilariously, the TV version's writers seem to agree with me...

I've started on Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy. I don't know why I hadn't read this yet. So far its quite charming. There is a really beautiful subtlety to the emotions expressed that seems hard for me to find in fantasy. My husband is a big fan and while he was deployed I sent him all of her books, including an autographed copy of her newest trilogy (dunno the name). You can get them from a store in Seattle for no extra cost. Her website has the number. Shipping was free and everything.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chiron said:
her newest trilogy (dunno the name)

The "Soldier Son" trilogy? Anyway, I think Robin Hobb is a good writer, but to be honest her characters annoy me. They're weak and whiny.

Really? That'll be sad. I'm only 200 pages into the first one and i haven't seen any whining yet. So far the main character has been pretty stoic. But I still have 2.5 books to go so you could be right.

I just got Clive Barkers book Mr.B Gone didnt get a chance to really sit down and read it but I am 16 or 20 pages in. Its pretty interesting it isnt like reading a book more like the book is talking to you which I find pretty neat. This is my first CB book I hope I enjoy it will post more if anyone is interested in knowing about it.

Just picked up "The Chronicles of the Black Company". Has anyone ever heard of it? I'm 50 pages in. It's not that bad so far.
0575084170.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Just picked up "The Chronicles of the Black Company". Has anyone ever heard of it? I'm 50 pages in. It's not that bad so far.

I've read the first book in the series: The Black Company. Peculiar writing style, I thought. But I liked it. I'll probably read the sequels one of these days.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Bunnet said:
Just wondering what don't you like about it?

Wizard's First Rule? Heh well the first one (the one I read) it's mostly just that it's simply not good writing; I was chuckling through the first few chapters thinking how much it read like a mediocre fanfic. More personally I disliked it because the villains were all made of Evil Cardboard. There's nothing interesting or redeeming about their characters, they're just Evil McEvil from Evilland. You shouldn't have to give your lead villain a child rapist sidekick in order to give you the impression that he is for-serious evil. And also personally I disliked it because I am irked whenever an author puts a rapist in the story just so a woman can look cool making him eat his balls; it's cheap. Not saying the device can't be used well but it usually is not and it sure wasn't here. Then there's a couple of chapters that are pretty much an unintentional parody of an old Anne Rice book. :schierke:

From hearsay I get the impression that by the time the series wraps up, Goodkind has grown a mutant Ayn Rand head even crazier than the real one, which does most of the writing. He wants a world with good and evil so black and white that it's cool and heroic for the lead to kill unarmed peasants because they're protesting on behalf of the evil guy, and have therefore fallen off of white into a shade of grey (which is the same thing as black) and deserve to die like all black things.

That said, I apologize for pooping in your cereal like this. :sad: My favorite fantasy series back in the day was Richard Knaak's Dragonrealm, which is pretty mindless, so it's not like I think there's anything wrong with just plain enjoying stuff you find fun to read.

51ZN7AQ0Q5L.jpg

Not as interesting or as funny as the title might suggest (besides that, I have a different cover, one that doesn't draw comparisons to Catch-22), but, seeing as how it's supposed to be a mystery, doesn't really serve it's purpose there very well. To be honest, I was actually hoping the Rabbi would function as something of a wise Mr. Magoo-type, one that through wisdom and happenstance solves the mystery at hand, but I didn't really get that out of this.

10394990.jpg

Yuck.
One of those rare examples where the film is a MAJOR improvement upon its source material. Here, the dialogue was AWFUL, and the illustrations were downright sloppy. Oh, and it wasn't really all that interesting, either.
Skip it, or watch the movie, instead.

HouseofSandandFogbook.jpg

(without that awful Oprah eyesore)
Oh my goodness, what a book this is! What beautiful telling! Everything about it seems rendered in near-perfection: the language, the descriptions, the perspectives and the glimpses of life and cultures and one story from all angles that builds to a promising climax (.... i haven't finished it yet) and calls for an understanding and concern for all the characters.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
The Perineum Falcon said:
10394990.jpg

Yuck.
One of those rare examples where the film is a MAJOR improvement upon its source material. Here, the dialogue was AWFUL, and the illustrations were downright sloppy. Oh, and it wasn't really all that interesting, either.
Skip it, or watch the movie, instead.

Or you could just skip both. The movie was horrible.

Johnstantine said:
Or you could just skip both. The movie was horrible.

You could, certainly. I didn't think the movie was AWFUL or anything, but it was worth noting that while I found the film decent, the graphic novel was just shit.

I'm trying to read Umberto Eco's The Island of the Day Before, but I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as Name of the Rose or Foucault's Pendulum. I think I may skip to the next item on my list of to-read-books, the Illuminatus! trilogy.

Bunnet

Gender is our true trap
Breed1Ghost said:
I just got Clive Barkers book Mr.B Gone didnt get a chance to really sit down and read it but I am 16 or 20 pages in. Its pretty interesting it isnt like reading a book more like the book is talking to you which I find pretty neat. This is my first CB book I hope I enjoy it will post more if anyone is interested in knowing about it.
I really enjoy that book that one of Clive Barkers best books and the writing is just excellent, I really like how Mr. B Gone tries to do evil things and they just happen to look silly to me or when he explain how he was going to torture someone and the reader, that great

Aazealh said:
The "Soldier Son" trilogy? Anyway, I think Robin Hobb is a good writer, but to be honest her characters annoy me. They're weak and whiny.

I am devistaed to find you may be right. The Assassin's Apprentice is fucking amazing though. The characters are so strong and individual and her style is damn near flawless. She pulls some BS Dais Ex Machina stuff at the end but I forgave it because of how strong the other 300 pages were. Then I turned to the second one and not ten pages in I was distressed. The characters aren't even the same. I found myself ranting to my husband about how I might not be able to go on because already Burrich is talking to Fitz and being kind instead of stern, wtf!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chiron said:
I am devistaed to find you may be right. The Assassin's Apprentice is fucking amazing though. The characters are so strong and individual and her style is damn near flawless. She pulls some BS Dais Ex Machina stuff at the end but I forgave it because of how strong the other 300 pages were. Then I turned to the second one and not ten pages in I was distressed. The characters aren't even the same. I found myself ranting to my husband about how I might not be able to go on because already Burrich is talking to Fitz and being kind instead of stern, wtf!

Yeah, it's very frustrating. She's got a great style, no doubt about that, but I would probably strangle characters like Fitz if I ran into them. Way too self-pitying.

I've been reading Vinland Saga, and am now catching up with some of the more recent stuff. I'd forgotten just how much I like this series :guts: I'm surprised that it's still not been licensed though; or has it? I'd have thought it'd be something dark horse would leap on. I also ordered the latest Pluto: Urasawa x Tezuka and Black Jack vol 8, which will give me something to read tomorrow evening :ganishka:

X

Xem

Alright, I gotta be honest, it's been a while since I've picked up a new book to read in a preeetty, pretty, long time. But alas, one has finally caught my eye!

51DirsAuTjL._SS500_.jpg

As one of the comments said, it's almost ironic. This book is (obviously) about pirates looking for treasure, and alas they found this little treasure on Crichton's computer after he died. I haven't read it yet, but from the reviews it seems that the book is a little "unfinished"... but it deters me not! I'm a Crichton fan, but even more, I'm a pirate fan.

Hopefully it delivers...

and on a related note, apparently Spielberg is already working on a movie!
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/26/steven-spielberg-to-develop-unpublished-michael-crichton-pirate-movie/

I always thought it weird, that after the huge success of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies that we haven't seen any other people coming out with more pirate movies. It almost seemed like Disney had a copyright on Old World pirate stories or somethin'... come on Hollywood, there's a fan base out here! And we don't need supernatural elements or a PG/PG-13 rating to make us happy!

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
ace6532405231194388707.jpg

About a year ago I was at a used bookstore and found this whole series for about 15 dollars and nostalgia'd pretty hard, so I had to buy it. I completely forgot about it until a friend mentioned it the other day so... I'm reading it again. Now I'm noticing that I actually don't remember a thing about the books, so it's almost like I'm reading it for the first time again. Man, forget Twilight and Eragon, kids need more stuff like this to read these days. :mozgus:

Top Bottom