What are you reading?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
In fact, in terms of its storyline, I've sometimes even imagined Eden to be exactly what Miura's earlier, pre-Berserk sci-fi drama series Noa might have developed like, had it not flopped and gotten cancelled almost right after its debut (obviously a good thing too, in long term).

Noa did not flop, nor was it cancelled. It was a one-shot. Your ignorance seemingly knows no bounds.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Señor Caudillo said:
So why the accusations of me being "ignorant", when the actual source I used to get my info on Noa simply lacked that particular detail about it supposedly being one-shot manga in the first place? :schierke:
I can't seem to find the part in that post that says it "flopped and got cancelled right after its debut," I mean, it's easy to infer that it's a oneshot from that, but still, it doesn't explicitly say it I guess. Nowhere does it say that it flopped or got canceled though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Señor Caudillo said:
...and not a word is mentioned about Noa being a "one-shot" there

I don't blame ZKK for not pointing it out when he wrote that post in 2004, and neither should you.

Señor Caudillo said:
only of Miura having had a falling out with the editors and it leading to "no further work" being published anymore (in other words = cancelled).

"Miura had a difference of opinion with one of, or the editor, and no further work was published" doesn't mean there was a series that flopped and was cancelled. Just, literally, that no further works of his were published in Fresh Shonen Magazine. One could imagine that if things had been otherwise, another one-shot or even a series might have been published afterwards.

Señor Caudillo said:
So why the accusations of me being "ignorant", when the actual source I used to get my info on Noa simply lacked that particular detail about it supposedly being one-shot manga in the first place? :schierke:

Because you were ignorant either way, regardless of what your source was. And Noa being a one-shot isn't a supposition, it's a fact (one obvious to anyone who's read it). Please word your sentences appropriately.

Oburi

All praise Grail
thebelievingbrain.jpg

Cool book on why people believe all sorts of things. From religion to ufo's.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ready Player One has been getting some good reviews, so I got it the Kindle edition. Good so far. The book references '80s culture to the point of being obnoxious, but that's also why it's sort of fun to read.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Turkitage said:
Hopefully the book is better. I saw this and decided to check out one of his speeches and it was annoying and nothing real insightful.

Yeah, most of those type of speeches preach to the smarmier end of the choir a little too much. My favorite thing with Shermer on Youtube is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gnQz32c5EA

The Mr. Deity series cracks me up in general.

Last book I read was the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, in honor of pissing off the people who want to publish an edition with all billionty instances of the word 'nigger' expunged. Censoring Mark Twain seems like missing the point of fighting racism by a country mile. Huck Finn is an awesome character, a pure white trash kid absolutely certain that he's an evil little asshole because he can't help but want to help Jim escape slavery.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Just finished reading Suttree. A lot of great writing in this book, it is pretty clear why it's lumped in with Blood Meridian and Child of God.

Next on my list is anything that is below 200 pages! I've been eye-balling The Great Gatsby, Henrik Ibsen's Ghosts and Other Plays, or 1984. I'm pretty much set on holding off reading The Sunset Limited (another McCarthy) until I at least read all three of those other books.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
Heh, I'm reading Feast for Crows, goddamn this novels are great and intriguing as hell, I feel sad, because there's just one book left to read... I hope to find something that good someday, but I'm not sure that it's gonna happen any time soon. :sad:

Yeah, mediocrity of this caliber is hard to come by these days. :iva:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
Care to help me with a guide to some incomparable fantasy novels? :guts:

Hahaha, I don't know about incomparable, and truth be told I don't think Georgie's work is terrible either, but if you want modern fantasy I think there's really a lot of stuff available. Guys like David Gemmell, Glen Cook, David Eddings, Raymond E. Feist and such have all published some pretty good novels by fantasy standards, and in relatively different styles too. Or, if you're into whiny, underachieving characters, you should check out Robin Hobb (she doesn't kill too many of them off though).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Unfortunately, Raymond E. Feist's novels have taken a turn for the worse. I really enjoyed the Riftwar Saga, The Sons of Krondor, and the Serpentwar Saga...but after that it's a downhill slope. Honoured Enemy is pretty good, too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Unfortunately, Raymond E. Feist's novels have taken a turn for the worse. I really enjoyed the Riftwar Saga, The Sons of Krondor, and the Serpentwar Saga...but after that it's a downhill slope. Honoured Enemy is pretty good, too.

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about that long ago. I haven't read his more recent stuff so I can't comment, but I think the Riftwar Saga's good.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, I'm back in school and am therefore charged with reading The Prophet and the Age of the Caliphates, A History of Islamic Societies, White By Law, Silent Covenants, Racial Formation in the United States, The Racial Contract, Augustus and the Creation of the Roman Empire, the Cambridge Companion to the Age of Augustus, Cassius Dio's Roman History: The Reign of Augustus, and Ronald Syme's immortal The Roman Revolution. So, to answer the question, I'm reading Berserk volume 35 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season Eight volume 6.

Aazealh said:
Hahaha, I don't know about incomparable, and truth be told I don't think Georgie's work is terrible either, but if you want modern fantasy I think there's really a lot of stuff available. Guys like David Gemmell, Glen Cook, David Eddings, Raymond E. Feist and such have all published some pretty good novels by fantasy standards, and in relatively different styles too. Or, if you're into whiny, underachieving characters, you should check out Robin Hobb (she doesn't kill too many of them off though).
Thanks, I'm really intrigued by David Gemmel's work, I guess his next. Also Glen Cook seems very talented according to his books reviews. By the way, Andrzej Sapkowski, one of my personal favorites, said that he follows Patrick Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie and Steven Erikson work, did anyone read their books? I found positive reviews as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
Thanks, I'm really intrigued by David Gemmel's work, I guess his next.

Good choice. I'm very fond of Gemmell. Read almost everything he wrote.

Konketsuji said:
Also Glen Cook seems very talented according to his books reviews.

I recommend you check "The Black Company". I found it to be a refreshing take on the genre, and it's also told in first person, which is pretty unusual.

Konketsuji said:
By the way, Andrzej Sapkowski, one of my personal favorites, said that he follows Patrick Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie and Steven Erikson work, did anyone read their books? I found positive reviews as well.

Haven't read their work, sorry.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I finished reading the last of the appendices of The Lord of the Rings last night (I'll admit that I skipped over most of the appendixes dealing with pronunciation and letters) and started reading The Silmarillion. It's pretty damn good so far.

Dr.Legato

Art of War Supporter
Just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Screwjack by Hunter S thompson.
Started on Fear and Loathing: on the campaighn trail '72 :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm about halfway through The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a sort of low fantasy coming-of-age tale, told in a very interesting frame story. It's been enjoyable so far. Pretty hard to put down.

nw2lg.jpg

Walter said:
I'm about halfway through The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a sort of low fantasy coming-of-age tale, told in a very interesting frame story. It's been enjoyable so far. Pretty hard to put down.

nw2lg.jpg

It just gets better.. the 2nd book (A Wise Man's Fear) is really good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JudeauChop said:
It just gets better.. the 2nd book (A Wise Man's Fear) is really good.
I know that the first book came out in 2007, and the second book just came out this year. Does that mean I have to wait 4+ years for the third? :judo: I guess I'll pace myself.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I am halfway done with something wicked this way comes be Ray Bradbury. This is my first Bradbury book and so far I really like it. Dark fantasy with two kids as the protagonists and the story revolve around a weird carnival arriving in their town changing the life of those getting involved to much...

Top Bottom