What are you reading?

Oburi said:
Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before but have you guys considered doing a podcast for the other two one offs that Miura was a part of, Japan and King of Wolves?

Personally, I'd rather have one dedicated to Futatabi and Noa. I'm quite fond of these works, Futatabi in particular. Although with the steady episode releases and the rereads I wouldn't expect anything like that any time soon, but it would be cool.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before but have you guys considered doing a podcast for the other two one offs that Miura was a part of, Japan and King of Wolves?

Miura collaborated on three titles with Buronson. You forgot the sequel to King of Wolves.

Rupert Sinclair said:
Personally, I'd rather have one dedicated to Futatabi and Noa. I'm quite fond of these works, Futatabi in particular. Although with the steady episode releases and the rereads I wouldn't expect anything like that any time soon, but it would be cool.

I don't know. Since Miura considers these stories to be "juvenile" works, putting them forward is likely not something he would want or appreciate.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Walter said:
You might also be interested in the podcasts we recorded around that time, where we reviewed each issue as they came out. It's Eps 38-44.

Thanks! I'll have to check them out

And yes it was nicer reading it all in one sitting. Easier to comprehend what was actually going on and flowed a lot smoother. The "nectar" thing still gets me though :isidro:

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Aazealh said:
Miura collaborated on three titles with Buronson. You forgot the sequel to King of Wolves.

I didn't know there was a sequel. Is it good?

As for what I'm reading now, other then my Berserk rereading, the first Change trilogy. "Against the tide of year" a story about the island of Nantucket going back in 1250 BC and how they strive to survive. I finished the first book yesterday and just started the one mentioned above today. Pretty good imo.

Reread for the 4th time '1984' and
'The little prince' by À. St Exupéry
Very short but very profound and moving, and I feel that everytime I read it my vision about our World evolves

Just bought 'dune' on your advices

I love this forum and love you guys

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
An omnibus edition of Blame was recently released, printed on larger, higher-quality paper, collecting 2 volumes at a time. This is great news for Blame fans, because the initial Tokyopop publication has been out of print for years. In addition to the larger print, more pages, and better paper, it appears to have a new translation, with the main character now named Kyrii. Hm. Gonna have to get used to that, I guess.

It's selling for about $25 per vol on Amazon, with Vol 2 out in December.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
An omnibus edition of Blame was recently released, printed on larger, higher-quality paper, collecting 2 volumes at a time. This is great news for Blame fans, because the initial Tokyopop publication has been out of print for years. In addition to the larger print, more pages, and better paper, it appears to have a new translation, with the main character now named Kyrii. Hm. Gonna have to get used to that, I guess.

It's selling for about $25 per vol on Amazon, with Vol 2 out in December.

Wow awesome! I'm glad you mentioned this because I had been patiently waiting for something like this for a very long time. I was never able to finish this series because it went out of print. Truly an awesome manga though.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I grabbed the first volume of the Blame re-release recently as well. Not a big fan of some of the translation choices, but from a visual standpoint, you can't deny that bigger is better in this case - the art looks amazing! :guts:

residentgrigo

Excitement and Enjoyment!
The recent Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel and The Secret History of Twin Peaks were my last reads. I also tried to figure out a few HTML5 + CSS3 books and then decided that my partner will continue do the coding for our university projects this and next semester. (Why do library science student have to learn how code... this has zero applications for my job.)
Next up is End of Watch by Stephen King. That man really regained his mojo after a decade of weird post car-crash nonsense.

So can we talk about Fire punch! I have only read a hand full of Manga (Berserk, Giganto Maxima, Vagabond) so my manga knowledge is limited, but im two chapters in and Fire punch is brutal. I really like it. Here is the plot per the wiki page. "The world was turned by the "Ice Witch" into that of snow, starvation and madness. Freezing people naturally seeked flame. The "blessing" that was bestowed upon Agni, is it a hope or maybe a curse...?"

I recently finished my mandatory army training, 9 months of traveling around Greece and working as a dentist, so i wanted to read something about the army. I searched for sci fi books tha had a military element to them. I am between "The Forever War" and "Enders Game". I remember the later beeing recommended here all the time, so i might pick this up.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mangetsu said:
Started Ubik by Phillip K. Dick. Didn't read much of it till now, but i enjoyed what i read thus far.

It's a very strange, hallucinatory book (It's PK Dick afterall). I read it a few years back. There's nothing that will jump out at you as being influential for Berserk in it -- but there is arguably one very weak link in a single passage that's never really explained in the novel:

"A grim, blue face with recessive eyes swam into focus, a mysterious countenance floating without neck or body. The eyes reminded him of flawed jewels; they shone but the faceting had gone wrong; the eyes scattered light in irregular directions."

I recently finished The Last Hero by Terry Pratchett. I can't say I'm familiar with the Discworld series in general, but I'm a big fan of Cohen the Barbarian. I'm now reading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

Mangetsu said:
Started Ubik by Phillip K. Dick. Didn't read much of it till now, but i enjoyed what i read thus far.

I am just over half way with this, what do you think of it?

As Walter said not much in the way of connections but I am finding it a very interesting read.

After that I will be going through all the GH books, probably Slan next then Void. I tried listening to it as a book on tape but there was way to much going on attention wise for me to be able to even try and drive and listen to it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
brokenknight said:
After that I will be going through all the GH books, probably Slan next then Void. I tried listening to it as a book on tape but there was way to much going on attention wise for me to be able to even try and drive and listen to it.

It's frankly unwarranted to refer to any of these novels as "GH books". Miura just named a few characters in homage of famous Sci-Fi works, but there's not much more to it.

Aazealh said:
It's frankly unwarranted to refer to any of these novels as "GH books". Miura just named a few characters in homage of famous Sci-Fi works, but there's not much more to it.

Fair enough, Still worth the read though.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Finished reading Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth and started reading No god but God, both by Reza Aslan.

I'm re-reading Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. A Sci-Fi classic set in the future and in another planet where the first colonialists, come from Earth, used technology to elevate themselves to the status of deities, other than having immense destruction powers they can also transfer their mind to other bodies when their own becomes old, they can even create whatever body they want, achieving thus immortality.

The planet, which is habitable for humans, thousands of years after their arrive, is inhabitated by their descendants, who however have been kept completely oblivious of the truth and their origins, as well as not possessing any form of primitive technology, and praising their "gods" as if they were real and genuine deities. Each of the First took the title of a deity from Hinduism (like Bhrama, Vishnu, Shiva....) and they live their life of indulgence and vices in their city on "Heaven". The main character is one of the First, who at a certain point in the past rebeled to them and abandoned his place in order to battle the "gods" and spread the knowledge of their technology to everyone on the planet.

I like it particularly because, as the author said, it can be read both as a Sci-Fi or as a Fantasy novel. The First colonialists have created a world which emulates the features of the Hinduism religion, like reincarnation, the difference is that they can actually make it happens thanks to their technology! People of the lower classes, who believes the gods are real gods, are reincarnated in high status people if they worshipped and paid enough tributes to the gods. The more they pay, the more their "karma" increase.

Overall i think this jewel of Sci-Fi should be read only if you possess a basic knowledge of Hinduism, you can enjoy it even if you know nothing of it, but you're not really going to appreciate it fully as you would if you could get all the analogies between the technological Sci-Fi characteristics and the deities as well as the metaphysical concepts of hinduism.

Top Bottom