Zodd's Morals

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I was wondering if Zodd has more morals than the rest of the Apostles we have seen??? From what ive seen he has never killed a child or raped one, and for that matter the same with eating them and the same goes for women, and then is he more like the Predator where he kills only when provoked or when the enemy or man has a weapon to defend himself and thus he attacks them???

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa, whoa. That is one looong sentence you got there. XD

I don't know if I'd call them "morals." Zodd's values are different from most apostles, but so are Grunbeld's, Locus' and Irvine's. Zodd said it best himself when he told Skull Knight that he wasn't interested in that sort of thing (paraphrase) in answer to why he wasn't inside Femto's Birth Occultation. He "seeks only one thing:" the strong.

That's as far as I can take Zodd's motives and character while still staying in concrete territory. To go beyond that, into the realm of speculation, I'd say that Apostles, by their demonic nature and physical superiority, are encouraged to engage in not-so-acceptable behaviour (i.e. raping/slaughtering humans). Strap that to the fact that Apostles in general probably weren't exactly upstanding human beings to begin with (Wyald, Rochine, etc.), it's to be expected that they'd abuse their powers.

But when you take a relatively (and I use the word loosely...) honorable person to begin with, as an Apostle, we'd expect some of their old values and honor systems to carry over. And it's this category I've always seen Zodd, Grunbeld, Locus and Irvine fitting into.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Thats why I think those four Apostle's are favored between fans so much, there very different than the thousands of other apostles out there.  For me, I love Zodd, and Grunbeld.

Plus, we don't know the history of Zodd, save that he's old and immortal and wutever else people have said about him. We don't know the circumstances that made him an Apostle. Yes, someone was sacrificed, but we don't know the events leading him up to make the decision to sacrifice. Perhaps even regret MAY have a place in ol' Zodd, maybe that's a factor that makes him somewhat honorable. (Regret could be what sets him apart from the other blood crazed-horny ass apostles....im just speculating here). Who knows...and maybe we never will.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
berserker88 said:
Thats why I think those four Apostle's are favored between fans so much, there very different than the thousands of other apostles out there.

Yeah, obviously (I'd also include Rakshas and Ganishka to the list of interesting and different apostles). And if you think about it, most of the apostles that the story focused on were special (the Snail Count refused to sacrifice his daughter, Rochine was a kid, the Beherit-apostle was... something, etc).

Proj2501 said:

That's just a nickname. Like "the Black Swordsman". Nothing really hinted at him being truly immortal in the manga until now.

Proj2501 said:
Who knows...and maybe we never will.

Even if we don't get a full backstory, I think Miura will reveal something at one point or another.

CnC

Ad Oculos
berserker88 said:
Thats why I think those four Apostle's are favored between fans so much, there very different than the thousands of other apostles out there. For me, I love Zodd, and Grunbeld.

Grunbeld, Locus, and Zodd have a code of honor (or something close) in a realm where their associates (apostles) for the most part have none, that makes them unique. However it has yet to really make them interesting.
I prefer the more confllicted characters, personally. Apostles such as Roshinu or the Count were far more interesting as characters, imo.

Perhaps the test of an apostle to truely become unique is to regain their morality. At the very least it could be an alternate theory as to how some apostles are so much more powerful than others.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Perhaps the test of an apostle to truely become unique is to regain their morality. At the very least it could be an alternate theory as to how some apostles are so much more powerful than others.

Well, to have some moral principles is a way (among others) to differentiate themselves from the average apostle in terms of personality, but I don't think being more powerful could be a consequence of regaining a supposedly lost morality (they might always have had principles for all we know), especially since they're not saints either. If anything I'd rather speculate that their personality at the time they become apostles might influence their strength once "transcended".

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I agree overall, however, I think that another way to look at the strength of character that some apostles have relating to their overall strength.
Consider that those of strong will and ethical constitution often have a sense of purpose beyond more simple, transient concerns. A sense of self-purpose such as that can act as powerful motivation to endure and persevere compared to someone who has no Honor, sense of self or anything to uphold.
For example, I would be willing to bet that Rochine found a sense of hope and meaning in her Love for Jill. I think that she would not have been able to keep up that brutal, knock-down-drag-out fight she had with Guts for as long as she did if that hadn't been there.
I know that that isn't exactly the same but my point is is that it's a goal that Rochine strives towards after she meets Jill again. It's something that she fights to preserve.
Better yet, just look at how Guts gets when Casca is in danger. Imagine that kind of relentless drive to defend something combined with the nature of an Apostle.

Top Bottom