Final Fantasy VII Help!

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Ok I know about the FF 7 Compilation and the various things that have come out under the title, my question is whats the timeline??? from before crisis all the way to dirge of cerebus??? Including the books and games and movies/ova???

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
berserker88 said:
Ok I know about the FF 7 Compilation and the various things that have come out under the title, my question is whats the timeline??? from before crisis all the way to dirge of cerebus??? Including the books and games and movies/ova???

I thought before crisis was like 2 years before 7, advent children was like 4 years after, and dirge of cerebus was like 2 years after ff7.

I'm obviously not sure since I have come accross this information from various web sites when not intentianly looking for this kind of info. Hope that some what helps.. although if you try google you should find a few results.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I thought before crisis was like 2 years before 7, advent children was like 4 years after, and dirge of cerebus was like 2 years after ff7.

I'm obviously not sure since I have come accross this information from various web sites when not intentianly looking for this kind of info. Hope that some what helps.. although if you try google you should find a few results.

I think Advent Children takes place two years after the original game ends. As for the others, I have no idea.

Before Crisis - 6 years before FF7 (takes place over the course of 6 years)

Crisis Core - ??? (takes place before BC, goes through that, and stops mostly right
before FF7)

FF7

Advent Children - 2 years after FF7

Dirge of Cerberus - 3 years after FF7

Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode - during DC

There will most likely (hopefully) be one more game to close up the compilation. Nomura said he's wracking his brain to figure out how to wrap it all up.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Got this on Gamepsot from someone who knows there shit...

FFVII: Before Crisis - Roughly six years pre-VII.

FFVII: Crisis Core - Roughly four to five years pre-VII.

FFVII: Last Order - Five years pre-VII (Nibelheim), One year pre-VII through just before VII (There was a year between Zack breaking Cloud and himself out, and being killed outside Midgar).

FFVII.

FFVII: Maiden Who Travels the Planet (Novella) - Just after the end of Disc 1, through just after the end of the game.

FFVII "On the Way to a Smile: Case of Tifa" - Just after VII, and the two years between VII and AC.

FFVII: Advent Children - Two years post-VII.

FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus - Three years post-VII.

FFVII "On the Way to a Smile: Case of Denzel" - Four years post-VII (Present), sometime during VII through shortly before AC (Denzel's story). 

Looks like they wanna milk this title until the very last drop.
I didn't notice how many in-betweens, (vids, games, etc.) SE released for FF7 lately..

dylec said:
Looks like they wanna milk this title until the very last drop.
I didn't notice how many in-betweens, (vids, games, etc.) SE released for FF7 lately..

Honestly........ive got no qualms with Final Fantasy VII but damn.....

Final Fantasy Crisis Core

Well, I got the game yesterday. I'm pretty far in. I got to say, I've enjoyed it a lot. Story wise, particularly I enjoy most. Game play is pretty simple, there are some questionable moments and minigames, but not even the original was perfect.

I too am enjoying Crisis Core. As simplistic as the Missions are they're surprisingly addictive. And yeah, the story is better than Advent Children's and Dirge of Cerberus'.

Beat it... 15 hrs straight, then passed out, woke up and finished the last hour... short game but fun plus i wasnt in the mood for 40+hrs on a tiny screen... the battle system lacks immensely but the materia fusion is interesting... the last couple hours make it all worth while... so many nice little touches... i have my issues with it (mostly revolving around the slot system) but they take a back seat to the overall feel...

and yes, those missions are addictive even though they are pure hack and slash... its the only place youll get a challenge in the game...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Time for some hatin' :carcus:

That list of FF7 media is ridiculous, and shameful considering the quality of those titles. Anyway, I noticed in the limited media and fan reviews I've seen of Crisis Core that everyone is pointing out how this title doesn't totally blow like everything else that's been released under the FF7 brand since the original, which is a nice mea culpa of sorts since I remember the desperate attempts to rationalize all those other stinkers upon their initial release.

Also, does anyone else remember the interview where some big Square producer talked about a true attempt to make a sequel to FF7 being a longshot, or far off, because the game and it's legacy means so much to everyone involved... so, instead they trashed it's legacy by releasing a bunch of subpar quasi-efforts? It's like trying your worst because you're afraid that your best won't be good enough, so at least this way you have that excuse of not really trying. Which wouldn't have been a bad thing had the products just been good in and of themselves, but it's like they we're only aiming for the toilet, still missed the mark, and shat on the floor.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith No More! said:
Anyway, I noticed in the limited media and fan reviews I've seen of Crisis Core that everyone is pointing out how this title doesn't totally blow like everything else that's been released under the FF7 brand since the original, which is a nice mea culpa of sorts since I remember the desperate attempts to rationalize all those other stinkers upon their initial release.

Well given the time it took them to develop it, that's really the least we could expect...

Griffith No More! said:
It's like trying your worst because you're afraid that your best won't be good enough, so at least this way you have that excuse of not really trying.

Haha yeah, that's pretty much how it is.

Time for some hatin'

That list of FF7 media is ridiculous, and shameful considering the quality of those titles. Anyway, I noticed in the limited media and fan reviews I've seen of Crisis Core that everyone is pointing out how this title doesn't totally blow like everything else that's been released under the FF7 brand since the original, which is a nice mea culpa of sorts since I remember the desperate attempts to rationalize all those other stinkers upon their initial release.

Also, does anyone else remember the interview where some big Square producer talked about a true attempt to make a sequel to FF7 being a longshot, or far off, because the game and it's legacy means so much to everyone involved... so, instead they trashed it's legacy by releasing a bunch of subpar quasi-efforts? It's like trying your worst because you're afraid that your best won't be good enough, so at least this way you have that excuse of not really trying. Which wouldn't have been a bad thing had the products just been good in and of themselves, but it's like they we're only aiming for the toilet, still missed the mark, and shat on the floor.

So, did you play Crisis Core? It seems you just hate the fact that they're doing bad Spins off of FF7. I agree Advent Children didn't live up, Dirge Of Cerberus Didn't live up. However, Crisis Core is a different story IMO. I would happily have sacrificed both A.C. and D.O.C. if it meant getting Crisis Core. Either way, IMO the original FF7 was released more than 10 years ago. It lived in its own era and will speak and stand alone for itself. Nothing they make now, is going to change the beloved years with the original FF7. These games only attempt to complement the original. Crisis Core again being the best. If there was a remake, I think it would be more of a tribute rather than a release that would attempt to over shadow the original.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Death May Die said:
So, did you play Crisis Core?

No, which is why I didn't comment on it directly, and only pointed out that it's getting rave reviews for apparently being the first FF7 product not to suck since... well, FF7.

Death May Die said:
It seems you just hate the fact that they're doing bad Spins off of FF7.

Pretty much, but this "series" aside, you can reduce that to my dislike of all disappointing follow-ups and crappy side-projects.

Death May Die said:
I would happily have sacrificed both A.C. and D.O.C. if it meant getting Crisis Core.

I would have settled for nothing and sacrificed them anyway. =)

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
THREAD REVIVAL!

Just finished playing Crisis Core. I hate to admit that this one got me addicted the whole time. One thing I was not expecting was the intensity of this storyline. But from the moment I started playing the damned thing, it's just none stop. One good treat I'd like to add, is the fact that you can just breeze through the storyline without having to focus much on the side missions. This was a good addition to the PSP, though I don't use it much. I was entertained the entire way of this game. Good story, decent characters and off course the cameos. It's been 10 years since I've played FF7, but now I have the urge of playing it again.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Walter said:
Trust me, it doesn't stand the test of time. :judo:
FF7 itself? I've played it again and again over the years and loved it every time. The graphics are certainly dated, but I find them acceptable. Its not perfect but my only complaints with it are forgivable ones. Like I don't like going through the tutorials every time, and since I know the story, if I don't feel like going through a specific segment, I wish I could skip through it faster.

The materia system is inspired. The combat is fun, and so are the minigames. These days when I play through it, I usually try set a reasonable limitation that I may or may not stick to. Like no buying things, or no grinding or initial equipment only or limit myself to certain characters.

I finished Crisis Core a week or so ago. I agree its the best thing to come out of the compilation except perhaps Advent Children. It added to the world nicely without contradicting or taking away from Cloud's fire. The ending moved me more then any game I've played since Aerith's death in 7.

I get the impression that the compilation is trying to build to something. I get the feeling that Sephiroth, Kadaj's gang, Deep Ground and Genesis are merely symptoms of a deeper problem with the world that hasn't been directly confronted. Whether thats Jenova's presence, Hojo's insanity, or some other yet to be confronted problem I can't say.

I do hope they'll release a big compilation at some point. Hopefully with a shared save that lets you influence one game subtly from another. I'd also like them USE THE SAME GEOMETRY, cause Aerith's church keeps changing size and such (CC vs Advent Children).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Im not going to try to champion this eternal struggle. I just don't personally feel that FF7 holds up after you've aged a few years.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
Im not going to try to champion this eternal struggle. I just don't personally feel that FF7 holds up after you've aged a few years.
Heh, you and I both know that this supposed remake is bound to happen. None the less, yeah. I'm gonna have to agree with you there. 10 mins. of playing the original one and well... let's just say I chose reading the storyline on one of the FF forums.

Majin Tenshi said:
I get the impression that the compilation is trying to build to something. I get the feeling that Sephiroth, Kadaj's gang, Deep Ground and Genesis are merely symptoms of a deeper problem with the world that hasn't been directly confronted. Whether thats Jenova's presence, Hojo's insanity, or some other yet to be confronted problem I can't say.

Agreed. However, one must ask themselves, is this saturation really going to help or even do anything productive on FF7? Though I really liked Crisis Core, which for the record it officially makes Zack my favorite character. It really feels that all the other adaptations were just a money opportunity rather than satisfying the fans hunger as they claimed. As Griff and others have said in previous threads and this one included, slowly but surely destroying the FF7 legacy that has with mediocre sequels and prequels.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Nomad said:
Agreed. However, one must ask themselves, is this saturation really going to help or even do anything productive on FF7? Though I really liked Crisis Core, which for the record it officially makes Zack my favorite character. It really feels that all the other adaptations were just a money opportunity rather than satisfying the fans hunger as they claimed. As Griff and others have said in previous threads and this one included, slowly but surely destroying the FF7 legacy that has with mediocre sequels and prequels.
I chose to ignore the mobile phone games; I have little other choice. I'd be willing to give Before Crisis a chance though.

It seems Last Order was bad enough they undid all of its details. Think what you will about Advent Children but I enjoyed it. It also set the style for the world in to something that they couldn't or were unwilling to back in the 90s.

I think Dirge of Cerberus is the real killer for people. I think it had a good premise. I think the problem was that the people who worked on it had no idea how to make that kind of game. I think it would've been much better if they'd worked on a cheap Devil May Cry knockoff first.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I was just at my friends house and watched him play crisis core for about an hour and it looked great. Its making me consider dishing out the dough for psp. Someone said they beat the game in 15 hours? Is it really short if you skip all the side missions and stuff?

I'm really on the fence about getting a psp, I don't have the money, but I can make the money by working overtime. That sucks though, I'm not sure if I'm determined enough to put forth the effort yet. Are their any other good game (rpg's) for it that can help me want to want it more...

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Oburi said:
Is it really short if you skip all the side missions and stuff?

Let's just say you would save some hours of playtime...trust me, the missions are very repetitive. Though the rewards are nice, you can go all out without most of them. I know I did. In total, I'd say about 10-15 hours of gametime.

Syaoran

I want you to remember
I don't have a psp so I couldn't play that game but I already know the story of what happens so I don't have to worry about it too much

I loved FF7 although I beat it with my uncle without fully understanding the story so I had to beat it again.

What looks pretty cool is the demonstration of FF7 remake for the PS3.

I would LOVE to see a remake of FFVII.
That way we can watch Aeris/Aerith in her "scene" all over again.. but this time with good graphics. :judo:

-This is amusing-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF4yNTuhg_g

Top Bottom