Official Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots thread

This game easily beat out GTA4...by far. Than again, so did Crisis Core. MGS4 is on my #1 spot for 2008 thus far. Maybe RE5 will come out this fall and give it a run for its money.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Question: Does anyone know if MGS4 sold 1 million copies on its opening day?
According to VGCHARTZ staff writer LOUIE, yep. http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=1297

[quote author=LOUIE]First day sales of Metal Gear Solid 4 reach 1.3 million units worldwide, PS3 hardware boosted 180% in America[/quote]

[quote author=LOUIE]
Playstation 3 worldwide sales have more than doubled compared to last week.[/quote]
Wow. That is a very misleading/usless statistic.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
According to VGCHARTZ staff writer LOUIE, yep. http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=1297

Wow. That is a very misleading/useless statistic.

Sounds like it's useless. The guy could be trying to say that the MGS4/PS3 combo package doubled the ps3 sales?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That's honestly not very impressive, despite the sensational style the article is written in. Overall it's nothing more than what was expected. Just for information, last month's hardware numbers for the USA are: 186,600 for the X360, 208,700 for the PS3 and 675,100 for the Wii. Hopefully the PS3 can reach 300,000 units sold this month, but as our friend Louie says:

it is expected that the hardware boost will be short-lived and PS3 sales will return to normal levels within the next couple of weeks

Beat it last night(4am)... 20:01 including cut scenes. I really enjoyed the game but you kinda have to be forgiving of a few weird story elements(as usual). It has great wrap up and beautiful tie ins to the rest of the games. My favorite part would have to be
going back to shadow moses island.
What really bothered me though was
I dont quite understand why Naomi stuck her self and allowed the cancer to kill her. Was she depressed about Vamp biting it? I didnt think it was very clear. She appeared to have feelings for Hal but not enough to live?
I love the story but a few cutscenes were a little too long and I began to feel uninvolved with the actual progress of the game.
Also, no metal gear fight at the end? I can live with it but just wanted to mention it. When BB appeared at the end, did he know he was walking into a foxdie trap of sorts? If so, why would he? He only just got out of a prison of sorts.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Psymont 2.0 said:
What really bothered me though was
I dont quite understand why Naomi stuck her self and allowed the cancer to her. Was she depressed about Vamp biting it?

The scenes were long, but it would be different if it wasn't saturated. From my personal exp. I was on the edge of my seat really. I literally had to stop playing for a while, there was too many explanations but I can see you're point. Valid one at that. Here's my take on your question. Major Spoiler Ahead:
Naomi had the same guilt as Otacon did concerning their dedication for their work. Naomi knew what she had done and her lifes work, like Big Boss did... she wanted to leave no traces of evidence towards the core of the problem. Meaning she ended her life in order to prevent others to have it (nanomachines). Her and Vamp apparently had the same type. Raiden has an older version of it, but he is mortal. Her love had nothing to do with her decision making as far as her killing herself like that. Consider it, a "making things right". I don't know if I miss anything here, but at least that was my personal take on it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
My copy just arrived at work. I can't wait to get home and play it, especially after the positive feedback from those who've played it. Two years ago I never thought I was gonna buy any of the next-gen systems and here I am with a PS3 and MGS4. Go figure.

It's an awesome game, I loved the ending battles.
Especially the ones with Metal Gear Rex and Ray and the one where you fought Liquid in hand to hand combat, that was epic
I have been having a lot of fun with Metal Gear Online as well.

The game also got unbelievable reviews, 10 out of 10 on both IGN and Gamespot.

Best game ever, though I kinda feel like im a poser since I only became a fan last year when I finaly beat mgs1 for the first time and only played about 3 or 4 hour of mgs2. But im gonna run and get the esentals colloection already got port ops. But oh man what a roller coaster I dont think any game will be as epic as this was. Tottal play time 3 minutes shy of 21 hours.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Beat it last night. Game is amazing. Greatest Metal Gear game ever made. Greatest game ever made and thats not the fanboy in me talking.

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
Hey guys, i just beat the game and sincerely for me it's the best game i haved play since Xenogears.
It's a game full of emotions, the story is incredible and everything is clear at the end.

The apparition and redemption of Big Boss at the end, Ocelot who play the role of Liquid and the crazy plan he built against the Patriots, EVA who always love Big Boss even with him dead, Raiden who try to find a past to take in his life, Campbell who hide Rosemary for her sake, Solid Snake who knows he is between life and death

All this elements make an incredible game.
The gameplay is good with many different way to take and various possibility like action or infiltration. The game is really beautiful with many different backgrounds.

The cut scene are sometimes long but interresting and epic.

Kojima made a masterpiece.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Well, just started suck... I mean playing MGO, look for Femto (I know, I know plz try not to throw flowers for my originality) I'm on normally 12am + central time. Uriel, I challenge you to Mortal Kombat!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Played about an hour and a half last night and I'm enjoying it.  The new controls are a little tricky and take some getting used to, but that's mainly due to playing the first three games recently, I think.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Pfft, I'm awful at MGO and never played the Beta.

You'd be better off taking on someone who's played it for more than 5 minutes.

I'm on Metal Gear Online as "endless-sky" and also my PSN name is EndlessSky87, so feel free to add me.

I agree though, this game is great and I'm ready playing through it again, getting stuff I missed, etc.

Just finished it this morning. Really enjoyed it, save for one scene:
the hooky "Will you marry me?" bit between Johnny and Meryl as the battle a horde of Frogs
. Other than that, very well done and IMO, well worth the wait. Anyone's thumb get sore near the end?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
But that scene was so cute! :guts:
Hey Nomad I searched for your Femto on MGO and couldn't find it, what is it exactly? Mine is Mr.Greed if any of you fellas ever want a match.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Other than the scat humor with Akiba (whose name they never pronounce right...) early on, I'm really enjoying it. I can't wait until this weekend when I can finally play it for a decent amount of time.

Replaying it on my day off.
I must admit when the credits began to roll
and when it scrolls down to Big Boss, I literally said out loud, "When the hell was Big Boss in the game?!" Then boom. Awesome. Interesting that Major Zero was really behind the creation of the patriots.

Oh and one thing. Someone clear this up for me.
When Snake was about to be turned into a Lean Cuisine, was the Rail gun actually fired? (I'm fairly sure it was) It was split screen at that moment and I think I missed it.

I saved all the BB Corps first time around, now I'm just going to off them. :ganishka:

One more thing about Raiden:
How the hell was he shooting lightning bolts in that Outer Haven corridor?! :???:

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
For Raiden :

I think it's because the water flow from the walls and his "electric" combinaison, surely he does it with his sword before we can see him

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Breed1Ghost said:
Anyone download the awesome database from the psn? im gonna have to take a day and just relax reading all that.
You know it's funny, I read your post and was intrigued by it, but I figured I knew just about everything that had to do with MGS. Man was I wrong, I strongly suggest you guys do too. There's some info in there that is bound to shock you.

Top Bottom