Official Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of Patriots thread

Been playing MGS4 for a while now... and... I dont know. Not as awe struck as most are about it. I think its mostly do to Kojima's story telling methods and the story itself.

Honestly it reminded me quite a bit of Pirates of the Caribean 3. A whole lot of stuff happens, but in the end it really doesnt matter that it happened. Double, triple, quadruple crosses, ridiculous plot twists that come out of the blue simply to complicate things, and so on. I admit there are some excellent sequences, great moments and so on, but a lot of it seems stuck in mediocre land.

Whats worse is that I still dont see the need for hour and a half cut scenes in a game in this day and age when the actual gameplay easily matches the cinematics; couldnt they have worked it into the gameplay and made it all the more awesome to play this already exciting game.

That said, the gameplay is an incredibly improvement of the last few iterations of the game and it looks like Kojima figured out what worked, what didnt, and how to really stream line the gameplay. It is great fun and makes me all the more disapointed I dont do more if, Id much rather be playing this game then watching cut scenes.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
To understand why there are so many cutscenes (as well as why one of them is 45 minutes long) as well as to understand why there are so many plot twists you have to understand the purpose of MGS4. MGS4 is the last adventure of Solid Snake, and is the game that's mission is to tie up all the lose ends of all the other canonical games of the last twenty years in the metal gear franchise. So to do this of course your going to have to explain a lot of things with cutscenes, that to those not completely familiar with the franchise will seem unnecessary. I think Kojima did this in order to allow those freshly entering the franchise to get to see what went on up to this point, which explains all the flashback cutscenes and all of the many returning characters. When you play the game you can't forget that this is the wrap-up to all the games before it. So just sit-back and enjoy the genius that is Hideo Kojima, if you love the story as I do, then the cutscenes shouldn't be a problem, if not you can always skip them.

Nomad said:
You know it's funny, I read your post and was intrigued by it, but I figured I knew just about everything that had to do with MGS. Man was I wrong, I strongly suggest you guys do too. There's some info in there that is bound to shock you.

I only know what I know from playing the first game and reading mine sum ups of the other games. So I have a feeling my mind will be blown to bits! when i get the time to explore what it has to offer.

Guts intestines said:
To understand why there are so many cutscenes (as well as why one of them is 45 minutes long) as well as to understand why there are so many plot twists you have to understand the purpose of MGS4. MGS4 is the last adventure of Solid Snake, and is the game that's mission is to tie up all the lose ends of all the other canonical games of the last twenty years in the metal gear franchise. So to do this of course your going to have to explain a lot of things with cutscenes, that to those not completely familiar with the franchise will seem unnecessary. I think Kojima did this in order to allow those freshly entering the franchise to get to see what went on up to this point, which explains all the flashback cutscenes and all of the many returning characters. When you play the game you can't forget that this is the wrap-up to all the games before it. So just sit-back and enjoy the genius that is Hideo Kojima, if you love the story as I do, then the cutscenes shouldn't be a problem, if not you can always skip them.

Ive actually been on the fence about the story since MSG2. As I said there are a lot of great moments, but my point is a lot of stuff happens in this game independant of the main story and almost seems to happen just so Kojima could make another cut scene. In the end a lot of stuff doesnt matter and dilutes the moments that are important.

Guts intestines

The reason why stuff happens independently of the main story of Snake stopping Liquid Ocelot, is because they have to do with some of the loose ends of the entire MGS story as a whole, be it what happened to
Eva after MGS 3 (now big mama)
, or even the more shocking revelation of
Big Boss' survival
. To truly understand why MGS4 has been so highly received by both reviewers and the gaming community you have to be able to appreciate that its the game that bears the daunting task of concluding the epic story of Solid Snake (which spans across 4 generations of consoles) and putting a neat little bow on every loose end and detail leading up to this point, once you understand this its easy to see why its the best MGS title of all time and one of the best games of all time.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
HawaiianStallion said:
Ive actually been on the fence about the story since MSG2. As I said there are a lot of great moments, but my point is a lot of stuff happens in this game independant of the main story and almost seems to happen just so Kojima could make another cut scene. In the end a lot of stuff doesnt matter and dilutes the moments that are important.
Wrong. Every cutscene was practically answering old questions from the previous MGS games. You said it yourself, you haven't seen much since MGS2 and frankly, you missed a lot. They were long yes. But with a cause, people wanted to know the side stories and reasons plus getting Snake's responds. MGS3 and Portable Ops on the PSP play a big part on the detailed side. The game itself you could play and understand what's going on... which in my opinion takes a good writer to achieve that. But at the same time those "independant moments" as you called it, happens to be the follow ups of a lot of questions that players had, who have seen all the previous tittles.

People have to remember one thing. And Kojima himself has said it since MGS1, his long term dream was to become a film director. With having almost no restrictions in disc space, he went "all out" on it. I expected nothing but long cutscenes from him. Plus it's nothing new either. The one single side story that had barelly nothing to do with the main plot, was on Meryl's side. That is my one dislike of the entire game.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I'm almost done getting every emblem.

Then, and only then, shall the game be retired until I need to play it again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Maito Gai said:
Is there a multiplayer game mode for this game? If so, is it any good?
Yeah, it's called Metal Gear Online, and from what I've heard, it's pretty damned hard.

MGO is alotta fun if you dont take it seriously. I am not saying not to play to win and or mess up your team but for the most part you can get really frustrated when someone just appers and head shots you while you get them to their last bit of health. Though its fair it sucks =( and the nades are useless tho im happy i finaly killed 2 people at the same time with them!. But the best is lying on your back and pretending your dead or hiding out in a box im just sad you can use a drum to hide in =(.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
MGO is alotta fun if you dont take it seriously. I am not saying not to play to win and or mess up your team but for the most part you can get really frustrated when someone just appers and head shots you while you get them to their last bit of health.
I don't really understand the gameplay mechanic for MGO. How is it dramatically different from Counter-Strike or any other tactical online shooters that also incorporate body damage? Why's it more frustrating in MGO?

Guts intestines

I wouldn't say its too frustrating, it's just a different feel than playing an online FPS. Also MGO doesn't have body damage, it has a stamina bar/psyche bar.

I have fun with it, I atleast get more kills than I do deaths so its not like I'm constantly dying or getting frustrated, I really been having a lot of fun with it.

All you really have to do is not let anyone get the drop on you and aim for the head.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Walter said:
I don't really understand the gameplay mechanic for MGO. How is it dramatically different from Counter-Strike or any other tactical online shooters that also incorporate body damage? Why's it more frustrating in MGO?
There's a handfull of events which are normally at any shooter game. The one that stands the most is 2 players in each team gets to play Solid Snake and Otacon's MKII. The objective is to knock as many opponents team with either CQC or tranquilizer guns while snake goes around stealing their dog tags. Other than that is pretty much the same. I'm not Mr. shooter games here, but nothing fantastic on it really.

And for you MGO players out there, if you're going for sniping fun make sure you equip them claymores and secure your area 1st. Does wonders let me tell ya. :badbone:

Anyone bother to get the Tanegashima yet? It starts off at 8,000,000 then out of nowhere it hikes up to 10,000,000!!!

So I finally got it.

Take it from me guys don't waste your time. Save the points for the Bandanna. :carcus:

handsome rakshas said:
Hey Ghost, get me on your friends list and let's have a game. My name is Mr.Greed.
What's yours?

My psn name is Adam006 add me any time and on mgo my name is Adam610 or Adam61082. Im drawing a blank right now cause im really hot and just got home from work

Walter said:

Ok I think thats why you arent understanding the mechanic of MGO it shouldnt be compaires to CS or COD. Mgo needs to be played at a slower pace its definetly not a run and gun but it could be if your just messing around. MGO in my opinion was definetly made to be played working with your team tho you dont really have to, but I see more people trying to work with each other in that game then lets say CS and or COD. What I find frustrating more then thos games is the slower movement tho there is a skill to make you go faster but its not that great.

I also feel like trying to react is alittle slow too but I might be more used to playing COD and stuff so trying to get kills is alittle hard unless your holding the aim trigger down the whole time. Which all adds alittle frustration atleast on my part im not sure how everyone else feels on this. But to answer the difference between this game and other FPS games a little better is that this is a 3rd person shooter with fps elements so you need to change how you play other then that there is no real difference Its just how you play. I hope I helped if i didnt maybe I can try explaining better somehow if I can think of the words.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3170146

Kojima is interviewed on 1up.com about his impressions of MGS4.

And if you read between the lines, he essentially says that he will be working, in some degree, on MGS5. So much for his word. Once again.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
And if you read between the lines, he essentially says that he will be working, in some degree, on MGS5. So much for his word. Once again.

Surprise, surprise. I guess it'll have to be a progressive detachment from the series, he won't be able to do it cold turkey.

MGS4 was a good conclusion though. I had kind of lost interest in the Metal Gear Saga as the game was delayed but I felt it delivered.
I mean
Johnny being the guard stripped by Meryl back on Shadow Moses...
how great was that :guts:
And he got the girl too.

As usual the story did have an awful lot of exposition though.

I hope Kojima gets to start something new now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A.C said:
I hope Kojima gets to start something new now.
Well he said he's been working on something completely new for a while now, but he didn't think it would sell many copies, or would be popular. Maybe it's
Raiden Gear Stilted.

Top Bottom