AOW Release - Guts: Horse Riding Sculpture

gutside.jpg

We are pleased to inform you our latest item, Guts (Hawk Soldiers) Horse Riding Sculpture (Exclusive: Casca Bust) will be open for order at 11:00 am (Japan time: 27 May).

As the fourth collection of horse riding series, ART OF WAR succeeded in developing Guts (Hawk Soldiers) Horse Riding Sculpture at high degree of technicality. The statue is manufactured at the scale of 1/15, Exclusive version which features complementary of Casca is limited manufacture to unit of 300 only, Unit price per each is 35,000 JAPANESE YEN.

The price... halala. When I think the 1/10 original scaled model was sold 29800 yens.
Whatever, I will jump at it on May the 27th
I hope Casca's face will be ok.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kenji-kun said:
The price... halala. When I think the 1/10 original scaled model was sold 29800 yens.
Whatever, I will jump at it on May the 27th

Yeah, remember what I had told you? :badbone:

Kenji-kun said:
Guts riding on horse... I hope that the price will be at least 15 000 yens less expansive than that Guts on horse. The original 1/10 scaled one (painted and assembled) cost near 30 000 yens... for a 1/15 release, I expect something like 22 000 yens. If not, Art of War would be very disrespectful on their customers.
Kenji-kun said:
if they take advantage of the Berserk fans' passion to sell it 8 000 more yens AND at a lower scale... Art of War will desappoint me a lot.

PS: Modified the thread title as to not make it confusing.

N

Ng51386

Hmm... I think I might pick up one or ten of these.... :guts:

Hope it isnt too small since it's a 1/15, but we'll see what happens. Any idea if the exc will be bloody like the last versions?

Thanks Aazealh, and yeah, you were right.
I have changed my opinion with time : Art of War sure raises the price whereas the scale has been reduced (I include 5000 Yens for the bust), but I thank them a lot for releasing such a beautiful statue.
I have also confirmed my pre order of the Griffith Hawk Soldier Riding on Horse because of that change of my mind concerning Art of War's policy and prices.

Ng51386, you shouldn't pick up more than one piece of this statue. Think of the Berserk fans all around the world. It's a shame to take advantage of this.
As for the blood, I am hoping, but I don't think they will put blood on the statue. Maybe someone has emailed them to confirm.

Chiba

Proud owner of a Dragonslayer
I'll definitely get one. :guts:
Hope they don't sell out too fast, I'm really not keen on getting up at 4am on a Saturday morning. ;)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
It was a nice thing to wake up this morning to find the details of the item I've been saving up for since Griffith came out :guts: I've got this money lying around, so I'll be there during when the item goes up later that weekend. Hopefully pictures will come around before the statue is put onto the website.

My memory of the last figure is kind of crappy at this time in the morning -- but what time is that on the East Coast? 9pm roughly?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
My memory of the last figure is kind of crappy at this time in the morning -- but what time is that on the East Coast? 9pm roughly?

Yeah, 11:00 am in Japan should be 9:00 pm on the East coast.

Actually, since there was the Spring forward daylight savings, 11am in Japan is 7pm West Coast, and 10pm East Coast.

And here are some pics, from good ol' Masato

gutshorse1.jpg

gutshorse2.jpg

gutshorse3.jpg

Hmmm not in love with Casca from the pics. What's up with her nose......bad pics though so we'll see.

Looks like they might have made a adjustment to the sword arm when I compare the images with those on Derek's site. Again we shall see.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Maiku said:
Hmmm not in love with Casca from the pics. What's up with her nose......bad pics though so we'll see.

I think the pedestal looks weird, and I agree that her nose seems a bit off. Guts' legs also look strange (too short?) on these shots, maybe because of the perspective. But yeah, better pictures are needed. It's interesting to note that they chose a red cape, it's a neat touch I think.

Thanks DirectDK for the pics.
I was expecting a colors variation, hardcore fans who have the original one might feel a strong temptation to pick this model up again. Derek, do you aim to buy this re release ?

The position of the sword could be changed Maiku.
Too bad for the non bloody feature.
But I just LIKE this red mantle and the black horse.

gutshorse22ul.jpg

Aazealh, yeah it is just the perspective.
I don't understand : do they have to remold the entire statue at a reduced scale ? I assume a little mathematic device can help recreat a new perfect mould, can't it ?
They are spoken of "technical difficulties".

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
As it's been said, the pics make it hard to get a good impression. Is that horse blue?! I might just hang back a bit on this one.. afterall, that money could go towards a PS3 :miura:

Kenji-kun said:
I don't understand : do they have to remold the entire statue at a reduced scale ? I assume a little mathematic device can help recreat a new perfect mould, can't it ?
They are spoken of "technical difficulties".

In the last company I worked for they would just "sculpt down" the origonal and make a new mold. Pretty cheap because you could use a second rate sculptor. Hard to say exactly how AoW is doing it.

I definetly like the change in coloring since I still plan on picking up the bloody version of the origonal.

I'm sorry, but i'm just getting tired of Art of War.

They care about the fans of berserk? No, they care more about the money, they are just milking the liscense for all they can right now.

They could easily get more fans attracted to the statues and make them more open to the market.

All they are doing is making them expensive and selling them to a limited audience.

Good for collectors, bad for fans.

The nice thin would have been for them to have it priced less and have a higher number, I thought the point was so that the people who missed out on the last one could get it?

It's gonna sell out fast no doubt, but to the collector's while many of the people that wanted it/missed out on the original one might get it and end up paying more for something that's smaller then the original.

Stiler said:
I'm sorry, but i'm just getting tired of Art of War.

They care about the fans of berserk? No, they care more about the money, they are just milking the liscense for all they can right now.

They could easily get more fans attracted to the statues and make them more open to the market.

All they are doing is making them expensive and selling them to a limited audience.

Good for collectors, bad for fans.

The nice thin would have been for them to have it priced less and have a higher number, I thought the point was so that the people who missed out on the last one could get it?

It's gonna sell out fast no doubt, but to the collector's while many of the people that wanted it/missed out on the original one might get it and end up paying more for something that's smaller then the original.

Dude I don't understand your post at all. "Good for collectors, bad for fans" I'm a collector and I'm a huge fan. I would love for the statues to cost less money.

Also.....Art of War trying to maximize profits. FUCKING BASTARDS!!! GOD DAMN THEM! :chomp:

Seriously though a peice like this with the bust probably couldn't retail for less than $200 something and honestly if $350 is out of your price range I have to assume $250 would be as well.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Maiku said:
Dude I don't understand your post at all. "Good for collectors, bad for fans" I'm a collector and I'm a huge fan. I would love for the statues to cost less money.

who wouldn't? I think Stiler's statement means (obviously, I might add) that selling the statue in limited quantity at a higher price would be good for those who seek to collect these things rather than selling the statue in a large quantity at a reduced price, which would act to the benefit of those who don't regularly buy statues but still love the series. Not really picking a side here but I'm pretty sure thats what he meant.

Maiku said:
Also.....Art of War trying to maximize profits. FUCKING BASTARDS!!! GOD DAMN THEM! :chomp:

I think you just described the practice of every business. Its hardly a defense to overcharge anything. And the difference between 250 and 350 is a lot to some people.

My only real question in all of this is how much does it cost them to create these reproductions and make them available.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
Hmm, I always wanted to get the original version of this statue, although the size reduction in this version is a bit of a put off.  Still, it would be a sweet piece to own even if the Casca bust is a bit strange-looking from what I can make out in the pictures.

Maiku said:

I mean that the way they are going about it it's better for the "collectors" then the fans , by colletors I mean people who buy statues with the intent of them being very limited and reselling them later on for a profit or simply because they are so limited.

By fans I mean the people who missed out on it before and the new berserk fans which would be quite a bit more open.

Seriously though a peice like this with the bust probably couldn't retail for less than $200 something and honestly if $350 is out of your price range I have to assume $250 would be as well.

You have to balance some things though. They can price the statue high and make it very limited, or they could price it lower and sell more statues in-turn perhaps making an even bigger profit, however that way it's not as good for the "collector" crowd but better overall for all of the fans who simply like berserk and want the statues.

CnC said:
who wouldn't? I think Stiler's statement means (obviously, I might add) that selling the statue in limited quantity at a higher price would be good for those who seek to collect these things rather than selling the statue in a large quantity at a reduced price, which would act to the benefit of those who don't regularly buy statues but still love the series. Not really picking a side here but I'm pretty sure thats what he meant.

Seriously I'm a big time collector and I wish they cost less. I'm telling the truth really. I don't care at all if 299 other people have it or 599.

Saying all a company cares about is money though just seems like a huge waste of breath to me. Saying I think they could make more money selling at a lower cost and more units might be more valid.

I bet the other big collectors like Derek wished they cost less as well.

Stiler said:
I mean that the way they are going about it it's better for the "collectors" then the fans , by colletors I mean people who buy statues with the intent of them being very limited and reselling them later on for a profit or simply because they are so limited.

Honestly I don't know how many people are like that. Hell maybe that is AoW's problem and they think there are people like that.

I know many collector's that are that way (both in statues and figures/art, etc).

They will buy as much as something as they can and then their sole reason for buying it isn't really because they like it/want it, but because there's a good chance it'll go up in price and they'll re sell it for a profit.

To those types of people when companies re-release something it annoys them a lot , espically if it's the same as the last.

Stiler said:
They will buy as much as something as they can and then their sole reason for buying it isn't really because they like it/want it, but because there's a good chance it'll go up in price and they'll re sell it for a profit.

Of course I know flippers exist. But those aren't collectors. Semantics maybe. Never the less the Majority of AoW's stuff has sold poorly of late.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Maiku said:
Saying all a company cares about is money though just seems like a huge waste of breath to me. Saying I think they could make more money selling at a lower cost and more units might be more valid.

Thats pretty much what I think they should do in this instance. Satisfy the pure collectors by keeping the larger statue in its limited form and offer the smaller one at a reduced price and greater quantity. I could live with that. Perhaps offer the jacked up lookin' casca statue for the limited only. or something. I think that way both the serious collector and the enthusiast would be satisfied.

Well, personally, I don't think AOW's retail prices are TOO outrageous. Some are well priced, some aren't. Like I think 350 bucks for this Guts statue (even though 1/15 in scale, overall it's quite large) and for the last Zodd Apostle statue are very good deals. I think 260 for the Guts Daka statue, however, is overpriced. The prices that these statues hit on auctions, though, that's a different story. Some can get out of hand, for sure =P.

In terms of higher quantities and lower prices, I wonder if that would be true. I know most prepainted resin statues retail around $200 and their paintjobs are usually a lot more simpler (like basic anime statues, where there isn't much shading, but just one-tone colors). Those statues are usually sold in much larger numbers, but the price doesn't alter too much, I don't think. Also, I think AOW has been scared lately, about releasing more than 300 pieces of each statue because as you can see, they aren't selling out like they used to. Of course, one main reason for that is lots of us are sick of the same characters, but one thing I think we forgot to mention before in previous discussions, is that NOW there are so many different AOW Berserk statues to choose from! If people aren't planning to collect all the statues (and in general, the majority of people are probably like this), then they will buy only the select few they want. And true enough, lots of the older ones are the best ones (the Guts: Lost Children, the Skullknight on Horse, etc etc)

Anyways, about this Guts statue in particular, I'm def excited. I will def be ordering one, especially because there are a GOOD amount of AOW statues at 1/15 scale now. One thing that turned me off when the God Hand set and the Sk on Horse statues came out, is that they looked wimpy next to the 1/10 stuff. But now, they have a fair amount of 1/15 and 1/10 (and I suppose soon they will have 1/12, according to the last Guts: Falconia statue).

About the Casca, well not sure what it'll look like, but I think it'll be hot next to the Judo bust =P.

CnC

Ad Oculos
DirectDK said:
The prices that these statues hit on auctions, though, that's a different story. Some can get out of hand, for sure =P.

Shouldn't that be a good indicator that a lot of these statues' appeal is in their scarcity?

Personally, I don't see how a business can model themselves on the creation of rare items. It seems counter-intuitive. Sure, I could easily be wrong about this but its just what I read into them re-releasing a previously hard to find statue in a limited quantity at a reduced size.

And they really need to broaden the scope of their sculpting capabilities. Sure, the Guts statues sell the best - but hell, its Guts - the character practically markets himself. I feel pretty confident that if they made a kickass serpico statue or another tertiary character it would sell. One things for sure tho, they need to step up the quality of their sculpts (I'm sure you've heard me rant about that enough, so I'll just leave it at that for now)

Top Bottom