Your own Dragonslayer

Chiba

Proud owner of a Dragonslayer
Has anyone every thought of the idea of getting your own Dragonslayer made?
It would be interesting how much that would cost and if there actually are blacksmiths who would make that. I don't know much about weaponsmithing, so any input would be appreciated.
And of course I'm talking about a 1:1 version of the Dragonslayer. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
There have been several discussions about it in the past of course, but nothing was ever concretely done. There's one guy that made one out of metal scraps a while ago and who had low quality pictures floating around the net, but it wasn't anything really worth being amazed at (low quality metal, sloppy amateur job, etc).

I don't think any conventional or industrial blacksmithing company would do it for you because it'd be out of the range of their usual products. It'd also require specific equipment given the size of the thing, good forging skills and a lot of work. So basically it'd probably cost you a lot of money, and that's assuming you'll ever find someone willing to do it.

S

smoke

My friend has made three or four wooden Dragonslayers for cosplaying. They're pretty cool

A metal one...I don't know if that would even be physically possible. You wouldn't be able to lift it, anyway. THAT'S FOR CERTAIN. :badbone:

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
It'd be expensive as hell, I can tell you that much, but you could always make a request over at http://www.swordsonline.com and ask them for a price estimate.  Another place you might want to check out would be http://www.reapersforge.com/home.html and drop them a line.

N

Ng51386

You would have to find an extremely light alloy to make it. The mass of metal needed would be insane.

If you make a metal covering with plastic inside, then it'll be lighter, and also far cheaper.

Chiba

Hm, getting a Dragonslayer made of full metal seems to be really expensive.
I'm just wondering if there are any companies that make fictional weapons on request. I haven't yet come up with another idea than trying to find a weaponsmith who would make that sword, but then again we live in the year 2006 and it's not that common anymore.
Maybe I should blackmail AoW to make one... ;)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chiba said:
I'm just wondering if there are any companies that make fictional weapons on request.

Well you can always try the companies Raziel told you about but I don't think that'll work. Weapon Masters take requests for example. Now the problem for these guys is that the Dragon Slayer is the Intellectual Property of Kentarou Miura and that selling a sword called like that and resembling it would bring them problems, especially considering their abusive clauses ("anything you send us becomes ours"). That's the reason they ask that every design you send them must be your own and not something that another person holds the rights for. I'm also not sure they would be able to make a sword as big as the DS, and they wouldn't forge it or anything but just laser-cut it out of a block of aluminium anyway.

The ideal solution would be to find a private weaponsmith willing to make this custom sword personally for you.

Chiba said:
Maybe I should blackmail AoW to make one... ;)

Good luck on that, even if they made one they'd probably ask a million dollars for it or something. :SK:

Chiba

Yeah, the copyright would be a problem (how do the private sculptors of Berserk statues actually get along with Miura?).

Also I need a professional to give me an estimate, since this is the most important thing on the first hand. If it costs 10.000 Euros I could forget about that anyways, at least unless I win in the lottery. ;)

Anyways, I'm not giving up on that matter yet. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chiba said:
Yeah, the copyright would be a problem (how do the private sculptors of Berserk statues actually get along with Miura?).

People that make model kits or accessories get temporary licenses and can only sell their products during Hobby Festivals in Japan, it's very restricted/controlled. In your case it wouldn't be much of a problem if you had a single one made specifically for you by a small company, that wouldn't advertise making it or put it in their "portfolio".

Chiba said:
Also I need a professional to give me an estimate, since this is the most important thing on the first hand. If it costs 10.000 Euros I could forget about that anyways, at least unless I win in the lottery.

If you want it to be really forged like a normal sword would it's going to be ridiculously expensive. If you just want a quality metal replica, well... It'll be expensive too, but it's a more realistic goal at least.

Raziel

Aazealh said:
If you want it to be really forged like a normal sword would it's going to be ridiculously expensive. If you just want a quality metal replica, well... It'll be expensive too, but it's a more realistic goal at least.

I'd have to agree with you that most any method you use (actual sword or metal replica) is going to terribly expensive, and that the only way a real DS could probably be made would be like how Swords Online did their Buster Sword replica; basically it'd be aluminum rather than stainless or carbon steel.  Since another big problem would be the sheer weight of the blade itself, which makes the possibility of the handle snapping off incredibly high, and not to mention you couldn't expect much when it comes to the sword tang with how huge the DS is.

Either way, Reaper's Forge will custom make any sort of sword or other weapon you like, so you might want to email them and ask them for an estimate.

And before anyone asks, yeah, I'm a sword collecting geek.:carcus:

Raziel

No problem, let me know how it goes. 

Hell, I'd like to get me my own DS one day if I can ever scratch together enough cash.

Chiba

Ok, Reaper's Forge hasn't replied, maybe they think it's a prank. ;)

However, I found a forge very close to my home, who at least wants the measures for an estimate (yay!).
Now I need your help again, has anyone ever tried to figure out the approximate measures of the Dragonslayer?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chiba said:
Now I need your help again, has anyone ever tried to figure out the approximate measures of the Dragonslayer?

Yes, so just search for it on the board. Keep in mind however that there isn't any real perfect estimation so you might as well make your own.

Chiba

Aazealh said:
Yes, so just search for it on the board. Keep in mind however that there isn't any real perfect estimation so you might as well make your own.

Of course, but it helps to start with. :)

EDIT: Ok, I didn't find too many informative posts, especially those with links where often outdated. Maybe I'm just lacking english knowledge to search for the correct words. ^^;

So far I came up with these estimations:

Total length: 200cm
Length of the blade: 170cm
Length of the handle (not sure if that's the right word here): 30cm
Width on the bottom: 30cm
Width on the top: 20cm

What I find hard to guess is the thickness: maybe about 5cm?

What do you think?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chiba said:
What do you think?

According to recent pictures of it in the manga, I'd say:

Total length: 215cm
Length of the blade: 170cm
Length of the handle: 45cm
Width at the hilt: 30cm
Width near the tip: 20cm

As for the thickness, I'd say between 4 and 7cm.

You just need to increase the handle length in your estimation basically, other than that it's good to go. Like I told you, you won't find anything more accurate or relevant so you might as well stick with these commonly assumed numbers.

GoHF

I'm a llama!
Hey. WonderFestival Winter 2006 had a model of the sword. (I did a quick search in the forum and didn't find a reference to it in the search results, so don't chew me if this is in some older thread).

The article is at Akihabara News:
akihabaranews.com/news-11208-WonderFestival+2006%2C+we+were+there%21.html

and the specific image is this one:
images.akihabaranews.com/news_pics/11208/13.jpg

(check the rest of the article, some models are awesome... like cammy :p)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GoHF said:
Hey. WonderFestival Winter 2006 had a model of the sword.

This is just the Tuned Blade replica though, it's in resin and not in metal. :SK: It shows up regularly at Hobby festivals.

Record Low

1 person makes the difference
check out this sword

http://www.imperialweapons.com/swords/Canute/LL030.html

its pretty close to one of guts' old swords
although i think the makers are retired...

Record Low

Aazealh said:
Nice find. The overall shape resembles it, but it's a bit on the short side... 47" = 120 cm.

almost 4 ft...3.9 ft but it was as close as i could find....everything long isnt as thick....like the claymores they are very flexible to take a better impact...not like guts sword where he takes the bounce impact in his wrists...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Record Low said:
almost 4 ft...3.9 ft but it was as close as i could find...

Well, 120 cm is a standard size for a longsword. The one Guts used was quite longer. Not even talking about thickness.

Record Low

Aazealh said:
Well, 120 cm is a standard size for a longsword. The one Guts used was quite longer. Not even talking about thickness.

oh yus by far.....his old swords were still pretty huge especially compared with a great battle sword.....

Chiba

Ok, here's an update: they're going to make it and it will be done in August. I'm so excited, woot! :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chiba said:
Ok, here's an update: they're going to make it and it will be done in August. I'm so excited, woot! :guts:

Cool, don't forget to post pictures once it's done!

Top Bottom