Berserk TV Series - Second season

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
number18 said:
Berserk IS a recent series here in the US. The manga is coming out in English this month. So the time is just right, in my opinion.

The world isn't about you and your country.

number18 said:
Main arguments against a 2nd season appear to be:

Your arguments for a 2nd season appear to be:
I WANT A SECOND SEASON!!1!1!

It's really nice to know you want that, but some people here just don't, so make your petition and stop bothering them with it, I don't see where the problem is, really.

The Dragon Slayer said:
Think about it, if the anime were to follow the manga 100% accurately, what would be the point in watching it.

What's the point of watching it anyway ? Moving colored pictures ?

incognitoX

you fail me
Personally, I'd love to see more Berserk anime produced. Either a second season or in an OVA form would be cool with me. With a second season I'd feel it would give them a chance to be able fix the botches and hopefully just disregard the whole "Griffith is king" crap and make it at least a bit more faithful to the manga. To see where they are in the manga presently, animated, would be interesting to say the least.

I'm not even going to bother arguing or bitching out hague or anyone else for their opinions because frankly they're pretty much right. Though, I still love the anime and for them to continue the anime would be pretty sweet.

number18

a sci-fi bitch
Aazealh said:
The world isn't about you and your country.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? No shit the world isn't about my fucking country. I'm quite aware a good number of people on this board do not live in the US and English is not their native tongue...but hmm let's think about the original statement that caused you to say this. Berserk is recent here in the United States and so is the manga that's coming out in a week. So what exactly it is you're trying to imply? That I should be taking this to a US only Berserk/anime forum? Cause somehow what I said about an anime series being recently released in my country got under your skin.
Step off, man.

Aazealh said:
Your arguments for a 2nd season appear to be:
I WANT A SECOND SEASON!!1!1!

It's really nice to know you want that, but some people here just don't, so make your petition and stop bothering them with it, I don't see where the problem is, really.
Some people here don't - that's obvious. Now, typically, when people in a group don't quite understand/want to do what you're doing, you try to convince them to join your cause. I'm not going around soliciting everyone to sign my petition!! please please! And emailing them about it all day long. Whenever I get around to making it, I'll post the link here and be done with it...cause there are people on these forums that wouldn't mind another season. And I certainly wouldn't...but you already know that. A 2nd season is possible - so why not try and push for one? If people wanna make a 2nd season (and they do), then why not show them others are interested. That's the point of this thread. I'm not DEMANDING a 2nd season. I'm not saying we absolutely need it. I would just like to see it happen since it is possible. The fact that there is a POSSIBILITY is the reason why I'm even bothering. Can you understand that?

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
number18 said:
What the hell is that supposed to mean? No shit the world isn't about my fucking country. I'm quite aware a good number of people on this board do not live in the US and English is not their native tongue...but hmm let's think about the original statement that caused you to say this. Berserk is recent here in the United States and so is the manga that's coming out in a week. So what exactly it is you're trying to imply? That I should be taking this to a US only Berserk/anime forum? Cause somehow what I said about an anime series being recently released in my country got under your skin.
Step off, man.
The point being that no one in japan is interested in producing more BerserK anime. Besides, I doubt Media Blasters has the resources or influence that CN's parent corp. has.

number18

a sci-fi bitch
How are you certain that no one is interested in Japan? There is an interview with the Japanese producer of the show and he goes on talking about how he really wouldn't mind doing a 2nd season and would hope to be able to do it, etc etc. I'm fairly certain that he did the interview to be put on the English DVDs, too, so it's not like it's some four or five year old interview or some shit. And once AGAIN with using The Big O as an example, people in Japan didn't give a shit about it. It wasn't popular there. But it became popular in the US, and that is what brought the 2nd season (and possibly a 3rd) about.

Also, why do you doubt that Media Blasters/Anime Works has the influence? Simply because they're not Cartoon Network or ADV? If Sci-Fi DID get around to airing Berserk, would you consider the chance to be the same?

You guys really like to shoot down every and any idea that's brought to the table...seemingly without much thought, either. You're just taking examples of other shows, blindly thinking Berserk is going to have exactly the same fate. And yet I'm here TELLING you what is different about this show that is giving it the chance. ::)

Majin_Tenshi

number18 said:
How are you certain that no one is interested in Japan? There is an interview with the Japanese producer of the show and he goes on talking about how he really wouldn't mind doing a 2nd season and would hope to be able to do it, etc etc.
Then why isn't it allready happening? Oh, perhaps its a little thing called profit. Berserk anime isn't popular enough in Japan any more to fund a second season. Deal with it.

number18 said:
Also, why do you doubt that Media Blasters/Anime Works has the influence? Simply because they're not Cartoon Network or ADV? If Sci-Fi DID get around to airing Berserk, would you consider the chance to be the same?
Do you know who owns CN? Turner. You know, TNN TBS TNT ect. Big company, lots of money.

number18

a sci-fi bitch
Majin Tenshi said:
Then why isn't it allready happening? Oh, perhaps its a little thing called profit. Berserk anime isn't popular enough in Japan any more to fund a second season.

Hey, um...did you miss the whole example with The Big O I just wrote about? Not to be a jerk, but come on - learn how to focus. A 2nd season of The Big O was made because it was popular here, where I live, in the United States of America. Not in Japan. But In the USA. Do you need me to write this in all caps to make it easier for you to assimilate what I'm saying? I know it's hard for everyone to comprehend this...cause you're too busy being argumentative...but because of the demand/want/desire/interest of a 2nd season of The Big O in the USA, it. Was. MADE.

So, along with what I JUST said for the 30th time about, there are also Japanese production studios that are going to be making anime for ADV, an American company. In other words, ADV, an American company, is going to be making it's OWN anime, through Japanese production studios. Do you guys realize what this means? It means. That because of demand in America. For Japanese Animation. They are doing as we, the people who watch and enjoy anime, have asked. Now, I used all that punctuation for emphasis, and I sincerely hope you understand that.

Of course it helps to have a big company to put a lot of money into something, but interest creates demand no matter what, and like I continue to say, it's not entirely impossible for this (a 2nd season of Berserk) to be reality. In fact, it's more absurd for people to say it's not possible because of X or Y factor. How many months did Berserk linger in the top 10 USA dvd sales chart of Newtype?? The 6th DVD was in like the #2 or #3 slot a month or two ago, when usually the first four or five slots are all taken up by shittyass Dragonball GT. The manga that is coming out in the US next week can and will only increase its popularity. Ever heard the expression "striking the metal while it's hot?"

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
number18 said:
Mizar (and what I'm about to say is something all of you should take the time to read), the POINT of starting a petition is to show the guys with money that there are interested parties.

That's nice, but they only have to take a look at their own sale figures to see that there's enough interest already (in the US). And although I'm not against a second season at all (as an OVA), I don't consider myself a member of one of those interested parties, sorry. I'm satisfied with the manga as it is, I don't need to see the same thing on some screen with moving coloured pictures and crappy art (compared to the manga).

And like I said before, I don't want Berserk to become much more popular. Maybe you don't have a problem with the increase of (stupid) fans, but I do, it bothers me, especially once they all find this place and ruin the forum with their shit.

But hey, if you want to start a petition and think it helps, be my guest, I won't stop you. I just won't be signing it myself because of the above mentioned reasons (and some more which I'm not going into detail in, it has to do with the influence of popularity on the creativity of artists in general and my personal problems with television as a medium).

Majin_Tenshi

number18 said:
So, along with what I JUST said for the 30th time about, there are also Japanese production studios that are going to be making anime for ADV, an American company. In other words, ADV, an American company, is going to be making it's OWN anime, through Japanese production studios.
Thats not anime. Thats Thundercats.

If there are Japanese producers RIGHT NOW that want to make more BerserK anime, why aren't they? That has nothing to do with the Big O. Why don't you try paying attention. Japanese producers look at the sales they get in Japan. They don't get any money from American sales beyond licensing fee, and they don't even gamble on that.

Try paying attention. The problem with there being more BerserK animation is that the content is too violent. It would have to be an OVA.
1. I've never heard of a 26ep OVA, so we're probably looking at 13 eps max. That'll cover what, the Lost Children arc?
2. OVAs come out really slow. Its taking about 6-3 MONTHS between Macross eps, and I have no reason to think thats exceptional.

number18 said:
Berserk IS a recent series here in the US.
It's not like it's the only thing that matters...
What exactly makes you think that Miura would lose control of a 2nd animated production?
Well, he didn't have _that_ much control over the first one...
I would think that, at least, the 2nd season's director would be contacting Miura all the TIME for direction...
I'm afraid that's not how things work...
It's obvious that they would have to leave a lot out...
Well, thanks but no thanks...
It seems most of you would rather it be EXACTLY like the manga, animated
Oh, you're sooo wrong about that one... As far as I'm concerned, anyway.
You guys are against a 2nd season (and the 1st) just because it didn't exactly follow the manga...
Nope, not just because that, far from it. Also because they were _too_ close to the manga in the sense that they didn't take advantage of the anime medium. What's the point of making an anime adaptation if you're not going to take advantage of camera work, rhythm, etc? When a manga turns out to be more dynamic than its anime adaptation, you can tell that something is terribly wrong.
When they changed something, it was the story... and their choices weren't what I'd call "good ones"...

number18

a sci-fi bitch
Mizar - Ok. I see where you stand. That's fine by me.

Hague - That's all really great. Also a-ok by me. I do however see your point about them not taking much advantage of the animated medium. But that's another thread, isn't it...

It's obvious you two (along with a bunch of others here) just do not want a 2nd season, for various personal reasons. So be it.

Majin - Ok. The guys in charge of money and all that shit in Japan don't see enough money in making a 2nd season. The Japanese fans have dwindled because it's not a recent series there. Oh yeah, it was on a 1 in the morning due to violent content, too - not some prime time slot where it could get more viewers. The producer/director guy was all talking about it in the fairly recent interview like he'd really like to do it buuuut dot dot dot - and that was really it. I'd watch the whole thing right now to get some more info on it, but I lent out my dvds to a friend. ANYWAY, the fact is, if they see there's money to be made - they will do it. That's it. Licensing goes a LONG way. Every time a DVD is made, they get a cut of it; they give permission for someone else to use their stuff, but in return they get a piece of the revenue. How could anime ever make any money otherwise if that wasn't how things were?

I'm not gonna try and argue with you on all the finer points of this whole thing. I'm just gonna argue because of the fact that you seem to think it's impossible...and I think it IS possible.

Edit: Oh, and as for the time it would take for an OVA to come out, why would that much time matter? You seem to have no problem waiting several years for the manga to be released by Dark Horse (that is, up to the now current volume 25 or 26).

Majin_Tenshi

number18 said:
Licensing goes a LONG way. Every time a DVD is made, they get a cut of it; they give permission for someone else to use their stuff, but in return they get a piece of the revenue. How could anime ever make any money otherwise if that wasn't how things were?
No, licensing doesn't do much of anything. Japanese companies look at licensing as the last way to milk a little more out of a series. They don't care about it.

How do they make money?
1. Selling the show to a network, which airs it so they can sell add space.
2. JAPANESE DVD SALES. With their 2 episodes per disc, (1 ep per OVA disc)
3. Merchendising.

The ova was just making a point that if you want to see it... well, on american company is gonna release it till its finished its run. MB would snatch up the license the instant it was announced though, and probably thuroughly discourage fansubs.

Majin_Tenshi

number18 said:
So you're trying to tell me that they'd make absolutely no money outta it...
::)
I'm saying, making anime is expensive. They're not gonna pay attention to the USA or anywhere else outside of japan when trying to figure out who will watch the show and buy the DVDs. They pick some random people who never pay attention to manga, know what responses they'll get?
75% BerserK? Never heard of it
20% BerserK? Never heard of it (doesn't remember it from 5 or so years ago)
5% BerserK? Hmmm.. I think I remember it. Not bad for its time slot.

Next question. Would you watch an anime about a guy with a huge sword, and a cannon arm who fights demons. (specificly 1 elf demon thing)
100% Hasn't that been overdone?

number18

a sci-fi bitch
Ok forget all that. I'm tired of that argument. Forget the "let's start a petition" cause that's not really what will make the nihonjin producer exec whatevers pay attention. What will is if we're out there snapping up all the licensed merchandise we possibly can that comes out. That means not buying those gross Hong Kong, $30 dvd sets or Son May/Ever Anime soundtrack CDs or what have you. Buy the DVDs, buy the Dark Horse comic when it eventually comes out, buy whatever else they release that's legit. And then when you're done doing that, write up Media Blasters and the Japanese companies involved and tell them you'd certainly be interested in buying more things Berserk. Hell, write someone up and ask them to release the art books in English (or whatever language you'd like) or some shit...do whatever.

If someone sees we're willing to spend our hard-earned cash on Berserk, they'll realize the purchase power and maybe, just MAYBE make something like a 2nd season...or OVA...or whatever.

I'm done arguing over the other crap. Whoever wants a 2nd season, pay attention to what I just said and do it. And thanks to my buddy (that none of you know) who made me realize that all this ridiculous back and forth arguing is a waste of time. I would like to see more animated Berserk. I know what I should do to get that to happen. I'll be back with another thread once I get my little campaign site up for others interested. I'm done.

number18

a sci-fi bitch
Majin, I dunno where you got that strange quote, but if you look here, this is actually what I said:

number18 said:
That means not buying those gross Hong Kong, $30 dvd sets or Son May/Ever Anime soundtrack CDs or what have you. Buy the DVDs, buy the Dark Horse comic when it eventually comes out, buy whatever else they release that's legit.

So yes, the Hong Kong CDs are, indeed, not legitimate Berserk merchandise. And if you don't wanna spend the money on the real thing, they you don't care to support Miura. And let's not get into some argument over how much actual profit he makes from the anime series - I'm talking generally. You like Miura's work, so buy the real thing. And like I said in another thread about those dvds, those guys that pirate don't give a shit what they're pirating. They're not fansubbers out to distribute a good thing, they're out for profit. It can almost be garunteed that the money from that HK pirating goes to fund some bad things. It's understandable that you don't have the money - I don't have the money to buy half the things I want. And I download and watch a lot of fansubbed stuff, but I will and do buy what I like, with the intention to support. So...there you have it. =shrug=

Majin_Tenshi

oh... woops, excuse me, I seem to have mis-read. Also, I forgot to include a [...] when I cut out the part that was irrelevent to my post. :-[

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
The only reason why the anime was not as good as the manga was because (in my opinion) was because the anime played out the worst part of the story! There was no Dragon Slayer, Puck, Skully, and there wasnt even Demons until the end of the anime! (with the exception of zodd and the behlit). Other then that the anime did pritty good in turning the worst part of berserk into cool ass shit with guts and caska and emotions and stuff like that. :D In fact, the only thing i hated about the anime was the ending... so why does everyone hate the anime? ???

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DarkBlademaster said:
The only reason why the anime was not as good as the manga was because (in my opinion)
Well, the Golden Age is the most popular arc among fans. You and me are just outsiders.
Other then that the anime did pritty good in turning the worst part of berserk into cool ass shit with Guts and caska and emotions and stuff like that.
No it didn't. Check out that scene in the manga. It's infinitely more meaningful, and even has more nudity 8)

so why does everyone hate the anime? ???
It was just plain poorly done. It's a fine start, but after you've gone through the manga, it's trash.

One thing sad about this anime is that there are so many *holes* that it seem there no way to continue the anime base on the manga... Which mean if one is to make the 2nd anime out right after the eclipse, there would be a big story gap between the 2 animes and it will leave everything in suspense...

DarkBlademaster

Jesus cries when he looks at me.
Smith said:
Which mean if one is to make the 2nd anime out right after the eclipse, there would be a big story gap between the 2 animes and it will leave everything in suspense...
Well thats the point right? To make suspense in the story so other viewers would get hooked on... or else they can easily put in the stuff the left out from the manga...

Dont mind me if i like animations better then pictures ;D

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Smith said:
One thing sad about this anime is that there are so many *holes* that it seem there no way to continue the anime base on the manga... Which mean if one is to make the 2nd anime out right after the eclipse, there would be a big story gap between the 2 animes and it will leave everything in suspense...

That's exactly right.

Top Bottom