Episode 274

Aazealh said:
A lot of people survive natural lightning (even several times), and it's Guts we're talking about here.

I am not any physicist here but i heard when a lightning strike a group, the target/victim might stand a chance of survival, but everyone else around him will be dead (Something to do with discharging voltage)

Anyway not to digress, How is Serpico able to deflect lightning? Maybe there is some Science involved?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
I am not any physicist here but i heard when a lightning strike a group, the target/victim might stand a chance of survival, but everyone else around him will be dead (Something to do with discharging voltage)

It depends on the situation Smith. You can die when lightning strikes near your position, especially if it electrocutes you through your connection to the ground, but it's not specific to groups of people or anything like that. Basically lightning harms you much more when it's not just passing through you to reach the ground but rather "ends up" in you. Don't forget that in normal conditions lightning always takes the shortest way to the ground (when it's not intracloud lightning of course). But anyway this doesn't apply to Ganishka's magical lightning, he just strikes whatever he wants.

Smith said:
Anyway not to digress, How is Serpico able to deflect lightning? Maybe there is some Science involved?

That's thanks to the Sylphs. Not science, magic.

EDIT: Anyway, after reading the translation it looks like Ganishka did sense Guts' brand, though apparently not clearly (he just felt that he's somehow related to the apostles & co). It seems it's the reason he thinks Guts might be serving Griffith.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Few of my thoughts.

I don't think there is going to be any alliance, closest thing to that would be Ganishka just leaving them alone. For one I think Schierke would have big moral issues with the perverse nature of the Kushan magic. Second Farnese's family is rather high up on his assassination list I believe and its been shown she really does care for them. Things have been set up to where its possible he may see the brand and leave them be though.

I think as far as the last lightning bolt, Ganishka possibly halted it or Serpico may have made it in time. His face looks pained in the frame just before the final one and he is shown making great effort in the preceding frames to make it to Guts.

Im not clear what people are suggesting the moonlight child could do to step in. Possibly phase Guts deeper into the Interstice or something. I think the only character that could really challenge Ganishka, especially over open sea, is Skullknight. Of the major apostles only Zodd can fly and and the archer is innefective, and the others generally require land. Their appearance could make a nice diversion though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Serpico said:
I don't think there is going to be any alliance, closest thing to that would be Ganishka just leaving them alone. For one I think Schierke would have big moral issues [...] Second Farnese's family is rather high up on his assassination list

I think one should be "Guts hates apostles and will never ally with any of them," and second "Ganishka is a crazy megalomaniac monster who wouldn't put much effort in trying to strike an alliance with puny humans." When people talked about an alliance I believe it was more about not outright killing each other for the time being. But then again, it's not like Guts & co are going to kill Ganishka.

Serpico said:
I think as far as the last lightning bolt, Ganishka possibly halted it or Serpico may have made it in time.

It doesn't look like Ganishka changed his mind at the last moment to me, but Serpico could have managed to deflect it in time yeah. I think it looks pretty ambiguous (on purpose), making it hard to really tell.

Serpico said:
Im not clear what people are suggesting the moonlight child could do to step in. Possibly phase Guts deeper into the Interstice or something.

I think they meant he'd come over and kick Ganishka's ass with his uber astral powers. Unlikely IMHO.

"Griffith No More!" said:
Ganishka may have already lost Griffith's Princess, but he could still have his queen! :troll:

Or not. :carcus:

275-Griffith-Guts.jpg

Episode 275's preview​

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Swordsman in Sable said:
Is it just me, or does Magnifico somehow seem to have aged in this episode?

Looks about the same as usual to me, I think it's a side effect of his jaw constantly dropping. :void:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Hahaha, excellent image, Aaz. Now THAT'S a preview! What episode is the Guts image from, BTW?

Aazealh said:
When people talked about an alliance I believe it was more about not outright killing each other for the time being. But then again, it's not like Guts & co are going to kill Ganishka.

Not to mention the specific caveats brought up for discussion that spurred such creative discourse like, "Guts is the good guy and Ganishka is a bad guy." Thinking outside the box.

Serpico dies in the next episode, BTW. 

\   /
  \  /
  \ /
   *zZzZtt*^^^ :serpico: ^^^*zZzZztt*
  "AHHHHH!!!iiiiiileleglaleleglauuugheeee..."

:guts:
thumbup.gif

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Nicely done Griffith.

I'm thinking that the DS Lightning rod idea seems oddly likely to me, I'm also wondering if he could have possibly used his cannon to get out of dodge somehow? While I hate the idea, I suppose its possible that he could be killed too but it would be ironic if this were to happen just before they are supposed to set off to a place where his extensive injuries can be healed. It seems a little too early as well: CNC argued against the possibilty the best in my opinion.
One thing that no one else seems to have picked up on crossed my mind: If Serpico's Slyphs can deflect Ganishka's attacks; doesn't it stand to reason that Serpico stands a good chance of being able to hurt Ganishka?

S

Some Guy

Actually I don't think Ganishka will leave Guts alone even if he learns that Griffith is his enemy, since after reading the translation it seems that Guts has greatly compromised the invasion and that almost all of the Makara have been killed. I don't think Ganishka would will just leave him alone because of some sort of misunderstanding about what Gut's goal is. Also Guts unexpected survival of the lightning bolts seems to just make Ganishka want to try harder to kill him.

Forest Wraith said:
I'm thinking that the DS Lightning rod idea seems oddly likely to me, I'm also wondering if he could have possibly used his cannon to get out of dodge somehow?

To me it looked like Guts was about to do something about the incoming lightning bolt in the last panel (could be wrong). If he does he doesn't look like he has much time to react, though.

Forest Wraith said:
One thing that no one else seems to have picked up on crossed my mind: If Serpico's Slyphs can deflect Ganishka's attacks; doesn't it stand to reason that Serpico stands a good chance of being able to hurt Ganishka?

That's assuming the figure we see can actually be physically harmed and isn't just an image of himself created by the mist. Also it didn't look like Serpico was able to take another direct hit from the lightning so soon, which I think is why he opted to dodge the attack instead absorb another one. I don't think he would have been able to sustain many more bolts.

I have little doubt Guts is gonna live. Seems like a perfect set up to get him royally fucked up, get him on a ship for a long eventless voyage, and then focus on Griffith during the interlude at sea.

That double page spread of Ganishka is just fucking awesome(pg. 6 + 7). That's one of the coolest Images so far in the series in my opinion.

* I set it as my wallpaper and it kicks ass.*

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
"Griffith No More!" said:
Hahaha, excellent image, Aaz. Now THAT'S a preview! What episode is the Guts image from, BTW?

Thanks. =) The face is from 269, the body is from 260.

Forest Wraith said:
While I hate the idea, I suppose its possible that he could be killed too but it would be ironic if this were to happen just before they are supposed to set off to a place where his extensive injuries can be healed. It seems a little too early as well: CNC argued against the possibilty the best in my opinion.

Well you know guys, I wasn't really serious when I said he could die. The story's all about him so obviously dying in such a "trivial" way is unlikely. It's just as possible if not more that Guts will take the full blow and won't die just because he's him. That'd be a typically hilarious "MASAKA!" moment.

Forest Wraith said:

Nope. He cuts the air so that the lightning can't reach him (so it was SCIENCE after all XD), but he if were to attack Ganishka it would logically just harmlessly cut through the fog.

Knight o' Skeleton said:
it seems that Guts has greatly compromised the invasion and that almost all of the Makara have been killed.

Well, he did kill a lot. :guts: The city's already wasted though, but the important people haven't died yet and the allied armies themselves look unscathed so... Not a big success for now. There are always the famous "land troops" Daiba talked about in episode 243 left but for now they're nowhere to be seen.

Knight o' Skeleton said:
I don't think Ganishka would will just leave him alone because of some sort of misunderstanding about what Gut's goal is.

He's already given him what he thinks is a deathblow anyway, he didn't seem to care much about anything besides the fact they've hindered his troops' onslaught.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, with the naval forces now defunct, I'm anxious to finally see the long-awaited ground troops, probably on the "other side" of town, dealing with the remaining factions of the Holy See Alliance. Once that card is played, how far away can the cavalry, nay ... the AERIAL STRIKE be? :griff:

S

Sanguinius

Aazealh is that the real preview or is that an image you or someone else made?

Sanguinius said:
Aazealh is that the real preview or is that an image you or someone else made?

Now that's just a silly question.

I'm gonna agree with mike.william, I think Guts is gonna get 'royal fucked up'. It makes sense, and would be a perfect opportunity to 'catch up' with Griffith and the Neo-Hawks, the Pontiff, etc.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I think Guts is gonna get 'royal fucked up'. It makes sense, and would be a perfect opportunity to 'catch up' with Griffith and the Neo-Hawks, the Pontiff, etc.

You're a true visionary Proj. :SK:

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry
Maybe the hawk will swoop in and save Guts and posse.

It's time to see a bit of movement in the whole Guts/Griffith relationship arc.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
QUeeN typhonblue said:
Maybe the hawk will swoop in and save Guts and posse.
Uh, have you been reading this page? Or did you just want to rephrase what's already been said and shown...

It's time to see a bit of movement in the whole Guts/Griffith relationship arc.
Well thankfully you aren't writing the series, otherwise it'd end up like your sig. XD

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Could you lovebirds keep the flirting to PMs and let the rest of us enjoy the intelligent commentary?

So, who think Corkus' ghost is gunna show up in the next episode? :troll:

Seriously, I was looking at the last page again and again, and it's worse than it looks at first glance. It really seems like there's no chance for a DS block or a dodge or anything, or that it's even close. More like we're seeing the hit, just not the results yet; and it looks bad.

Thanks Aaz. My life has been running sideways lately, but now I have some catching up to do. :miura:

- C

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Thank you Aaz and GOHF for the episode. And by the way Aaz, your "preview" of episode 275 made my heart stop functioning for a moment. Great episode,
I love Casca's expression on the 3rd panel of page 17.

Top Bottom