Episode 274

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
handsome rakshas said:
I love Casca's expression on the 3rd panel of page 17.

Haha, hadn't noticed that.

skethee2 said:
I wonder how long this fight is going to last

I think the fight might be over, at least for Guts. Let's continue to obsess over his imminant fate (or next great escape)... sure, the drama is heightened by the cliffhanger, but unless ithe scene is mostly being exaggerated for dramatic effect, and save for a duex ex machina, Guts is taking a direct fatal blow there. I'm really wondering if we're not on the precipice of a major change (Guts was already in bad shape, will he even be able to take the armor off again after this?), and even if this turns out to be more dramatic style than substance, it's not often we're at such an interesting crossroads.

cs-burnt.gif

Hot new look for the Black Swordsman? :badbone:
thumbup.gif

Not sure if this really belongs here but id does kinda relate.
Ganishka's recent, but earlier mostly, actions tend to fit perfectly into Griffith's plans, therefor Causality itself. He's apparently on the verge of killing :griff:'s nemesis, while at the same time setting up a perfect scene for a triumphant arrival of the Neo-Hawks. In that sense perhaps his role as an opponent is in a way better serving than that of an ally.
Hope this is clear and on topic (at least somewhat).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
vlad said:
Ganishka's recent, but earlier mostly, actions tend to fit perfectly into Griffith's plans, therefor Causality itself. [...] In that sense perhaps his role as an opponent is in a way better serving than that of an ally.

Your post isn't completely off topic, but it's also nothing new that Ganishka's actions benefit Griffith (by annihilating a country and preparing it for the coming of a savior, etc). We've been talking about it since Ganishka first appeared basically. However I think it may be a bit presumptuous to relate it to Causality, which doesn't have a "plan" in itself that would match Griffith's. I just don't think we know enough about it to warrant that kind of shortcut.

Anyway I like the idea of Ganishka doing Griffith a service by actually killing Guts. That could have been Idea's masterplan all along: Guts dies at the hands of Ganishka, Schierke is so emotionally disturbed that she uses the beherit and sacrifices the rest of the group as a way to avenge her first love, joining Griffith as a super witch apostle. It's all clear now.

But enough fan fiction, what do you guys think Guts is going to do in the next episode? (that is, if he can do anything at all) :void:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, Ganishka is the perfect antagonistic foil for Griffith; the devil to his messiah in this fairy tale life Griffith is living. Makes you wonder what he could be like on the flip side (King Griffith is really the devil), if he has a place in that World (besides slain dragon). He's interesting outside that role because he's such a wild card. He could help Guts, or he could just kill him...

Speaking of which, I honestly can't remember there ever quite being another cliffhanger where Guts could literally be getting killed, and nobody wants to talk about this? Are we just too conditioned into knowing Guts can't die to get sucked in? C'mon, he won't just be okay somehow; he could be seriously hurt this time... seriously. =)

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Maybe the beefy scab on his chest from Slann's attack could be fried off!?!!? HE'LL BLEED :isidro:

Uriel said:
Maybe the beefy scab on his chest from Slann's attack could be fried off!?!!? HE'LL BLEED :isidro:
It's a possibility given that Ganishka's lightning may have additional properties (beside damage), it did force an armour "shutdown" so to speak. It could affect the Od in some way, good or bad remains to be seen. However IMHO Guts' in no state to do much of anything so there might be a need for his crew to get more involved, something in the lines of throwing themselves in the way of another attack. Suicidal - YES; Possible - NOT SO SURE.
Anyway just putting it out there...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I think we're all forgetting that Guts has survived a similar attack from a powerful magic user in the past...

gutselectricitysurvival0wk.jpg

See?  He's still breathing... :beast:

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
"Griffith No More!" said:
Speaking of which, I honestly can't remember there ever quite being another cliffhanger where Guts could literally be getting killed, and nobody wants to talk about this? Are we just too conditioned into knowing Guts can't die to get sucked in? C'mon, he won't just be okay somehow; he could be seriously hurt this time... seriously. =)

It seems so unlikely that Guts would die at a meaningless moment like this. Sure its a bad situation. But hes not dieing saveing everyone's life. The armor seems to be "off" so that drops the odds of him becomeing skull-knight-like to nil. Despite the resemblences, this isn't D&D so him comeing back isn't a true res away. The only possible thing I could see being accomplished by his death is a chat with Idea, but it seems more likely that if Guts were to die, he'd just be cursed to that spiraling hell.

My guess is that the Neo Hawks show up and force Ganiska to take his attention elsewhere.

Was the possability of Guts being outside of causality thrown out at some point when I wasn't looking? Though, I suppose there is as much basis for that as Guts being Idea's true champion.

CnC

Ad Oculos
While I'm not of the opinion that Guts is going to die, Griff is right in that this is a point where he could be very seriously injured. perhaps enough to impact the story from this point on. Who knows.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back, Majin.

I think what Griffith meant is that with all previous cliffhangers, there have been semi-obvious ways that Guts could elude death. With this situation, he simply has to take the blow. Whether or not he'll die, he'll certainly be TOASTY.

Despite the resemblences, this isn't D&D so him comeing back isn't a true res away.
Uhh, right.

The only possible thing I could see being accomplished by his death is a chat with Idea, but it seems more likely that if Guts were to die, he'd just be cursed to that spiraling hell.
What would Guts have to say to the Idea of Evil? And yes, if Guts were to really die, he'd simply become part of the vortex, not get a special interview with the god of the world.

My guess is that the Neo Hawks show up and force Ganiska to take his attention elsewhere.
Like we've been saying, even if that does happen, it looks like the blow has already been dealt. There will be repercussions.

Was the possability of Guts being outside of causality thrown out at some point when I wasn't looking?
Well, you have been gone for a while :guts:. Skull Knight has called Guts, "a fish swimming in the river [of causality] creating ripples". Skull Knight himself has been described (by Slan) as just a "jumping fish" in the river. As the metaphor describes, nothing and no one is completely outside causality.

Urm, Hello to all, i'm a very long time Berserk fan (and lurker, yeah)
I just watched the last panel, and the little shadow of Guts in the light seems a little strange to me. I can see Guts head, shoulders, back, a little of his arms, but what is that thing right to him on the upper left? Is that still the smoke column coming off him showed in the previous panels? His shadow(nonsense, too musch light)? The dragonslayer(it seems to me it isn't the right place and shape)? His cape(same as the DS)? Or something/one else(the only one character i think could resemble that shape could be Rakshas, or maybe Moonchild..)?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eye of Fury said:
Urm, Hello to all, i'm a very long time Berserk fan (and lurker, yeah)

Hi, welcome to SK.net! :SK:

Eye of Fury said:
I just watched the last panel, and the little shadow of Guts in the light seems a little strange to me. I can see Guts head, shoulders, back, a little of his arms, but what is that thing right to him on the upper left?

On the upper right there's the DS. On the left... Nothing? I take it you mean the panel where he's on his knees with the lightning striking him and not the really last one where we just see Serpico standing. Keep in mind that we just partially see it because of the light, but otherwise it's in the right place (Guts' hand, assuming he just moved a bit), and it has the right shape from what we can see of it (not much).

*watches his hands*
oh yeah, sorry. Right.
So he is really struck. Any chances of the armour insta-taking over him? (i wondered why Ganishka's words of Guts being at the orders of Griffith didn't piss him off...)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eye of Fury said:
Any chances of the armour insta-taking over him?

The armor taking over after being deactivated by lightning a few pages earlier? Doesn't sound very likely to me.

Eye of Fury said:
(i wondered why Ganishka's words of Guts being at the orders of Griffith didn't piss him off...)

Well, he did look angered when Ganishka said so actually, you see him clenching his teeth with a big "!?" speech bubble. He didn't have much time for that however since Ganishka didn't joke around.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Hmmm, I doubt this would happen but... What about SK? Havent seen him recently. Although some were discussing how SK just happens to show up to save Guts from the really "Oh Shit" moments.

IMO, there´s no chance for Gatts to be yet conscient..
This time, Skully appears to be late.
Gatts chances now stands for:

Skully opens a portal bringing Gatts to a safe place
Locus using his lance as a ground-wire for the lighting-bolt
Griffith himself appears and protects his sacrifice

well, here´s not speculation nation, so ill stop by now.

Thanks again Aazealh for the episode. :void:

Just a few points I want to hit before going to bed:

The pterodactyl (for lack of a better term) "familiar" Daiba called to save his ass looks pretty badass as GNM mentioned. While I hope this means that the Kushans have a bunch more aerial familiars at their disposal (imagine those things along with Ganishka's other monstrosities against Griffith's apostles :beast:), I'm also thinking this is a special type of beast for high ranking officers like Daiba (ala the Kundalini). At the very least, it shows the Kushans are able to use aerial monsters.

Something Daiba said also got my eyes: as he was being flown away from Guts and Serpico, he commented it is his earnest wish to create a vast empire in this world, can't let it end like this etc. Until that moment, I simply wrote Daiba off as a flunkie for the Kushan empire content with whatever bone Ganishka has thrown him. But with his desire to create an empire, there may be something just a bit more interesting about his character. This isn't much, but it's a start to something that can be expanded on so long as Ganishka allows Daiba to live.

It may just be me, but I found it funny how Ganishka basically pimpsnacked Daiba with his lightning strike as he was trying to cover his ass for totally fucking up in losing the Pishacha Gana & the Kundalini. XD

Anticipating episode 275 to see how Miura writes Guts out of this mess. I'm sure he'll survive, but I don't know if he'll be the same (physically or spiritually) or even conscious when the group gets out of Vritanis. I just hope this problem resolves itself without any outside interference. I'd be interested to see the reactions from the nobles/Holy See to the giant Kushan fog figure by the port. :zodd:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I think it would be interesting if Daiba had "summoned" Ganishka, or the astral form/spirit/what ever the hell of him to this plain of existence.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
Walter said:
Welcome back, Majin. 
Well, you have been gone for a while  :guts:

Not so much gone, mostly just lurking quietly.
Walter said:
Uhh, right.
What, gotta Fighter with a few barbarian levels. (Guts)
Got a rogue. (Serpico)
Got a low level ranger. (Isidoro)
Got a sorcerer or wizard. (Shirke)
oh, no cleric... damn... Maybe I've just been spending too much time building a campaign lately.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Perhaps the lightning is 1.21 jiggwats and with the speed that is being produced, could send Guts back in time! :isidro:

Clearly Guts is Donovan. The lightening baked his skin and disfigured him horribly. In the end, Guts is forced to rape himself in order to ensure that he grows up to fight evil long enough untill he can pass the torch to Isidro.

I think this is what Campbell called the 'recursive hero'.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Wereallmad said:
Clearly Guts is Donovan. The lightening baked his skin and disfigured him horribly. In the end, Guts is forced to rape himself in order to ensure that he grows up to fight evil long enough untill he can pass the torch to Isidro.

I think this is what Campbell called the 'recursive hero'.
I'm sure there are a few "Fan Fictions" that cover this subject. :carcus:

Top Bottom