Does anyone know about Tsuchizoku and Futsuzoku?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Kentarou Miura mentions this in an interview and indicates that he is referring to specific, real-world events:

You talk about the universal law of Karma.

Well, how do I put this... When you're a cartoonist and working at home you sit at your desk pretty much all day. You get most of your information about the world from the news on TV. I think that's how most cartoonists spend their days. And then I start to see the whole picture of my point of view towards all the problems that are happening in the world. An average working man living in an average world would have a personal problem. He'd be worried about how his kids are doing in school. But I live in isolation, watching the world only on the news on TV so I start to see the bigger picture. I can look at the world from another angle. I'm not talking about one specific event. If I see news about war in another country of if there's a massacre somewhere in Japan I just look at the world objectively. Religious cults or acts of atrocity have been the topics of the news recently. When I hear those stories, not that I want to find some kind of answer, but it makes me want to visualize what's happening. I just want to see it in my world in my own way. The idea becomes clearer and polished in the process. I think I've said this in an interview before, but when I learned about Tsuchizoku and Futsuzoku, it did influence Berserk. I was writing Berserk watching the incident on the news. And a little while later I wrote about mass psychology in Berserk. I believe that incident made me want to write about it so I would understand it myself. In the beginning, about up to volume five, I was still writing stuff that I had thought of when I was in college. So my real life reflected a lot in the stories in the beginning. And after a while, I started to see the bigger picture.

I'm amazed that no one has asked about this before; I searched for it on here and got a link to a thrad on the interview with an excellent transcript of the interview by ZKK but nothing on what Miura is referring to. I was even more surprised by the fact that I could find nothing on these events outside of the forum on Google and Wikipedia.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Re: Does anyone knows about Tsuchizoku and Futsuzoku?

Interesting topic, but alas, I can't read anything past basic Hiragana.. but I'll be interested to see what comes of this.

Oh, and nice to see another Opeth fan frequenting the boards :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

It refers to the notorious armed conflict in Rwanda between the Tutsi and the Hutu, that eventually led to the genocide of 1 million Rwandans (and SaiyajinNoOuji's link is relevant in relation to it). If I am to assume that ZKK transcribed it directly from the Interview then the guy that translated it sucks big time.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
well there you go, thats why none of the Japanese people here at my school regocnized these 2 names... blarg.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
So what on Earth went wrong with the translation?
Miura expresses himself very eloquently on the subject of genocidal acts and the like in the Manga. I hope that knowing the specifics will grant an interesting perspective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_genocide

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/1288230.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/africa/2004/rwanda/default.stm

Does anyone think that a brief explanation -simply stating the Miura is referring to Rwandan Genocide with a link on the subject- should be included in the Berserk Encyclopedia F.A.Q.?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
Does anyone think that a brief explanation -simply stating the Miura is referring to Rwandan Genocide with a link on the subject- should be included in the Berserk Encyclopedia F.A.Q.?

Hmm no? I mean, it's just one thing in the news that he took as an example of how what happened in the world could influence his work, but it's not extremely significant in regard to Berserk itself. Maybe if we were to compile Miura's interviews in the Encyclopedia, in that case we'd fix the translation.

Uriel said:
Oh, and nice to see another Opeth fan frequenting the boards :badbone:

We're everywhere aren't we :carcus:
Just thought I'd add to the books, Opeth is the best!!!
their guitarist's are damn awesome.

Now back on topic. Aaz ? I got a odd question for you.. What volume was Berserk at when the Genocide happaned (1994)?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Ramen4ever said:
What volume was Berserk at when the Genocide happaned (1994)?
You can check that sort of info out yourself, you know... http://skullknight.net/manga/

That puts the incident around volume 7~8. Seriously though, don't bank on this playing out directly. Miura just picked an example of how real-world events influence his writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom