Episode 275

CnC

Ad Oculos
hehe, those who wanted a zodd appearance got their wish.

kickass episode. Thanks, saiya. you da man.

Man, I'm really like the panels of guts face. The expressions are subtle and wonderful to look at. Some great effin' work by Miura on those this time. wow.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Hehe, I knew this episode would deliver. Our old friend Zodd's appearance was MOST welcome :zodd:

As Walter stated, the conversation between Ganishka and Guts should prove to be very interesting. I love the way Guts says whatever he feels to Apostles, even in the presence of one as powerful as 'Da Nish'. I'm so excited about what's to come. They might even get on the boat this year :badbone:

Thanks a lot, Saiya and Aaz. You're one helluva tag team.

Mad Angel Loki said:
Anyway I find it strange that Griffith dont care about frightening the people of Vritannis sending monster(I mean apostle in their true form)...desperate how they are the citizen of the holy city could see these monsters as "angels" and the pontiff will certainly support this thought...I always thought that he'd take his time to show his true face to the people,guess I was wrong

I think it wouldn't be so strange because Kushan army is crowded of monsters itself...

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
I wonder do you guys think Griffith's forces might of had a hard time fighting against them if Guts and co weren't present to take out the majority of Ganishika' forces?

S

Some Guy

Great episode. Definitely liked the use of the DS as a sort of lightning rod :guts:. The conversation definitely looks promising. Diaba getting zapped by Ganishka again was also satisfying. Also, there seemed to be another Kushan riding a Garuda on page 18

Definitely interested in seeing some of the other apostle generals again (maybe the reappearance of Grunbeld). I'm still curious on whether or not Guts may be tempted to stick around a bit.

Also maybe puella can enlighten us on Puck's latest impersonation :puck:

Thanks Saiya and Aaz, just what I needed after an exam =D

This time Ganishka notices Guts brand, looks like they have a really nice conversation there. I cant wait for the translation >_<

Thanks for the episode.

Although I will probably enjoy this Episode alot, I find it amusing that people can only "look" at the pages, not understanding a single word without the translation can still say the same old repetitive response of "great episode guys!" or something the equivalent to.

OK theres a degree of understanding with just the images, but seriously how can you appreciate it so much when you can only guess the plot, especially the dialogue driven Episodes like this one. All you can see is the lightning bolt hit the DS instead of Guts, a conversation between Guts and Ganishka and an interruption of Griffiths troops before Guts is almost killed.

Yeah it looks good and almost certainly will be, but I want to know for sure first. Not that I have any complaints with the story at this point in time, but at least the people here who admit to not being completely happy with Berserk can say something without rose coloured lenses.

S

smoke

Sparnage said:
I find it amusing that people can only "look" at the pages, not understanding a single word without the translation can still say the same old repetitive response of "great chapter guys!" or something the equivalent to.

Well, unless Ganishka and Guts are having a totally inappropriate conversation about their favorite female body part or something, I can't really see how the episode could be anything but great. The dialogue would have to be horrible to offset the coolness of the events taking place.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sparnage said:
OK theres a degree of understanding with just the images, but seriously how can you appreciate it so much when you can only guess the plot, especially the dialogue driven Episodes like this one. All you can see is the lightning bolt hit the DS instead of Guts, a conversation between Guts and Ganishka and an interruption of Griffiths troops before Guts is almost killed.

I think thats a testament to the power of the series and miuras art that an episode can be so resoundingly appreciated without any comprehension of the dialogue. The dialogue only deepens the already existant appreciation. It isn't as if the episode can't be appreciated unless all of its dialogue is translated.

I think the simple return of the BOTH into the story warrants putting this episode into the "kick ass" classification. Guts and Ganishka could say all of jack shit and I'd still be stoked.

Plus, any preview of a new episode is always worth of praise for fans ! every single new image gives you new perspectives of what will probably happen.

Altough lately I preffer to post after someone traduces the episode this time is special, and I know that something even bigger is coming with the next episode :void: . The only thing I can add to the comments is that Puck is not impressed as always :guts:

Thanks for the scans guys *thumbs up*

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
perhaps amid those battle with the apostle that Guts may try to escape...

Yeah, that's likely to happen.

Mad Angel Loki said:
Anyway I find it strange that Griffith dont care about frightening the people of Vritannis sending monster(I mean apostle in their true form)...desperate how they are the citizen of the holy city could see these monsters as "angels" and the pontiff will certainly support this thought...

Those that aren't dead yet you mean? They might not live long enough to repeat it :void:, and besides how will they tell who's Kushan and who's not? Anyway Vritannis isn't really a "holy city," that'd be the Holy See's HQ.

xbigvmanx said:
I wonder do you guys think Griffith's forces might of had a hard time fighting against them if Guts and co weren't present to take out the majority of Ganishika' forces?

I don't think it would have changed that much things overall. The biggest service Guts & co did to the Hawks was to kill the Kundalini IMHO (and then the Makara). Daka aren't a match for apostles, even outnumbering them, and while Makara are huge they're not as powerful/good at fighting as apostles (they're not as smart either, and that's quite a feat). I think it may have saved the life of around 7 or 8 apostles who would have died in the battle, nothing too big for Griffith IMO. The biggest advantage would be time, the Hawks can strike without being delayed too much by the Kushan troops (but then again, flying ones wouldn't have been delayed at all anyway). I think the real obstacle for the Hawks will be Ganishka and his lightning.

Anyway Guts and Ganishka's talk is pretty interesting. Ganishka recognizes the Brand and tries to seduce Guts into serving him basically. He tells him he mistook him for one of Griffith's men (actually, one of the generals :badbone:) but Guts emphasises that he is completely human, to which Ganishka replies that his rage and hatred can indeed only be human. He talks all nicely and politely to Guts, no "kisama" and some talk about "don't you want to get revenge on the man that branded you?" Daiba doesn't seem to like it so Ganishka fries him again to shut him up. He tells him he's fighting against what for him is a god. Guts says it's interesting that an apostle would fight against the God Hand, and he calls Ganishka "a mad dog biting his owner's hand." Ganishka also calls the other apostles "insects from the Hawks." After Guts refuses to help him he gets pissed and tells him he'll kill him (but is interrupted). And like Jhot Obs said, Guts calls him something like "old man lightning."

And now the bureau of whining:

Sparnage said:
I find it amusing that people can only "look" at the pages, not understanding a single word without the translation can still say the same old repetitive response of "great episode guys!" [...] All you can see is the lightning bolt hit the DS instead of Guts, a conversation between Guts and Ganishka and an interruption of Griffiths troops before Guts is almost killed.

You can see more than that, you just have to pay attention. It's not the first time I tell you that either, and you've missed plot points and misunderstood things even with a translation in the past, so much for your credibility. Reading (looking at the pretty pictures) carefully is as important as having a translation, sometimes more. You can also guess what's being said, it's not that hard thanks to Miura's awesome skill with depicting emotions. It's what composes most of the discussions about episodes, guessing what's happening. Yeah, people often repeat the same stuff, that's because they're grateful and don't have much more to say. It doesn't mean they don't get what's happening and reply like robots though, so quit with your half-assed contempt. That post of yours is worthless, and it starts by "thanks for the scans," which you probably even aren't (thankful), so please don't rant about others'.

Sparnage said:
Yeah it looks good and almost certainly will be, but I want to know for sure first.

Then how about you work on it? You're learning Japanese right? Move your ass and contribute something. Type the text to facilitate the translation. Otherwise if you've got nothing to say save for babbling about obvious and trivial things then don't say anything. If you're "not sure" and can't get what's happening at all so you prefer to wait with your mouth open for a translation to drop in it then go ahead and wait, but don't give other members shit about it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah Sparny, I mean, this may sound odd, but the translations rarely reveal anything to me at this point besides minor details. It's hard to explain because it's an intangeable thing, but when you follow the story so closely, figuring out the context of one episode against the rest isn't too difficult, as a matter of fact, it's intuitive (like how if you can't use one sense, others compensate). I know Miura's writing style, his pacing, his way of depicting things (remember, he's first and foremost a visual storyteller), I know the characters, how they think, how they talk, and along with their facial expressions get the gist of what they're saying, in many cases exactly. Of course, I also spot character names and important subjects, like if they're talking about a certain "hawk" for example. So, it's not so crazy as you think, and like Aaz said, a lot of the important details are really sutble things in the imagery, not the words (as a matter of fact, it's usually the most obvious stuff). So, I find it very important for my understanding that I go through it without the translation first, it's most important even for understanding the specific episode and the details within it. Sometimes only focusing on the text from page to page can even be a distraction, words are only one aspect of Miura's story.

This isn't to slight the importantance of the translations; obviously, you couldn't do what I describe above without all the previous translations, so they're critical for understading the story at large over the long haul (duh). I'll never be able to understand the story as well as someone that can read Japanese, but going episode by episode in such detail like this and then reading the translations available at least gives me the best chance, and keeps me involved in thinking about Berserk on a deeper level.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NOCOMPROMISE.jpg

Support Miura. Buy the manga.

Aw yeah, the shit is about to hit the fan.

I doubt Griffith will appear until the last page of the last EPISODE of this volume. it would be a great way to close it out.

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Thanks for the episode, as always!

Whooa! Things are getting truly interesting! So there came the "Join me and we can rule the galaxy as father & son!" at last! :troll: (I'm joking of course even if the part about Ganishka offering Guts to join him is true). And as expected, Guts doesn't like the idea of being on the same side as a "monster" :D.

And now the Hawks comes too! Good old Zodd.. :zodd:.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I'm thinking that if Zodd and Guts crossed paths that Zodd would let them go. It's pretty obvious that their main objective is Ganishka and the way his personality is set, he wouldn't find it fun to go up against a beat up Guts.

Such a great episode! I had just re-read volumes 29 & 30 and what we have of 31 last night, so this episode had a lot of momentum behind it for me!
There is some especially great art in this one, I especially love the shot with Guts on his knees, the DS planted in front, and Ganishka bearing down on him. And man does anyone else get freaked out by Ganiska's mouth! Yikes
Zodd's entrance was perfect too. Slaughtering all the Daka in his path and chomping that ones head off with his mouth! Yummy :chomp:
I wonder if all the other main generals of the Neo-Hawks will make an appearance. Everthing is setting up for an intense climax! Miura is truly a master.
Oh, and I can't really tell, but does Ganishka toast Daiba on page 7?

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
I'm thinking that if Zodd and Guts crossed paths that Zodd would let them go. It's pretty obvious that their main objective is Ganishka and the way his personality is set, he wouldn't find it fun to go up against a beat up Guts.

Sounds likely enough. So far, Guts group has done the apostle army a favor by getting rid of the greatest obstacles against them, so the least they could do would be to let them pass. Hard to say whenever the apostles would let an ikenie go that easy however...

Interesting bit: Daiba seem to know about the brand, judging by his reaction. wonder why - if his knowledge if it is the cause - he advises Ganishka against doing it?

This is the first time we've seen Ganishka's teeth in his current from too. Hmm...

This should be the moment Skull Knight referred to at the beach, so I wonder if that means that Griffith will appear before Guts & Co and Ganishka too?

Top Bottom