FIFA World Cup 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aazealh said:
Sorry dude but the video replays don't lie.

We'll have to agree to disagree here, because you won't convince me otherwise. It was not a penalty, not even close.

Aazealh said:
If anything, Domenech's coaching was Italy's biggest advantage. :void:

He had a fine tournament. I ruled them out far too early. But they didn't quite have enough today.

Dear I say it, "Defence wins Championships". And even without Nesta Italy had the best.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
w00t said:
He had a fine tournament.

Took him too long to get his team to work, and then again the players mostly organized themselves. Some of his choices and changes weren't really all that logical IMHO, and a lot of the difficulties the team encountered early in the championship were a direct result of his weird decisions. He's getting out of it lucky because the team managed to get to the final, but to me his "talent" had little to do with their surprising performance (the shaky start's a good indication).

And yeah, "Defence wins Championships" indeed.

Yup.. Remember Euro 2004 ? Greece.. Omg..
Well.. I think the roles should have been inverted in the two final games.
Portugal vs Germany should've been the final.. These two teams were the best of the tournament.. But none the less we didnt make it to the final :judo:
Good game by Italy and France only seems capable to win with penalties :troll:

Aazealh said:
Took him too long to get his team to work, and then again the players mostly organized themselves. Some of his choices and changes weren't really all that logical IMHO, and a lot of the difficulties the team encountered early in the championship were a direct result of his weird decisions. He's getting out of it lucky because the team managed to get to the finale, but to me his "talent" had little to do with their surprising performance (the shaky start's a good indication).

Fair enough.

He was probably carried by the experience of his side. This in the end shone through more than anything else.

fuxberg said:
Portugal vs Germany should've been the final.. These two teams were the best of the tournament.. But none the less we didnt make it to the final :judo:

Been drinking again? :casca:

France almost didnt pass the groups and Italy crapped their pants to win Australia and Germany.. Am i the only one to see this?
Germany exceeded all expactions and so did Portugal..
I still say that the final should've been with these 2 teams.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:

Portugal shouldn't have won against England, in all fairness. As for "crapping their pants," who played a match in which 16 yellow cards and 4 red ones were given? It's a record. Don't be bitter man. :serpico:

France's matches against Spain and Brazil were admirable, and Italy carried a lot of emotional baggage this time around. God knows they'll need this cup in court tomorrow. At least tonight they showed their fans they're not just about match-fixing. I say well played and congratulations to them again.

Aazealh said:
Well at least he knows his team would have lost anyway, even in his fanciful scenario. No regrets! :troll:

hahaha......

fuxberg said:
France almost didnt pass the groups and Italy crapped their pants to win Australia and Germany.. Am i the only one to see this?
I still say that the final should've been with these 2 teams.

And I say you're a goose for thinking that! Italy outplayed Germany all over the park, and Portugal couldn't buy a goal when they needed one most.

Whatever man.. I respect your opinions..
Football is full of "cases" as we say here in Portugal.. And the best team doesnt always win..
Congrats to Italy but i wanted France to win because of Zizou.. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
Football is full of "cases" as we say here in Portugal.. And the best team doesnt always win..

Yeah, it's a very contextual sport. You can play the same match twice and have totally different results. Part of why I'm not a big fan of Football in general.

fuxberg said:
Congrats to Italy but i wanted France to win because of Zizou.. :judo:

Yeah, it's sad for him to retire on an expulsion... Although I personally think the more ashamed of the two is Materazzi, who didn't stop to talk to the press on his way out. And I don't think he'll have the guts to publically tell what led to the headbutt. Anyway, I have to admit that I'll miss Figo, too.

Yeah.. I'll miss the old man (both of them), i feel sad for Figo.. He never really won anything in Portugal AA team.. He was from the "golden generation" that had players like Couto, Rui Costa, Vitor Baia, Jorge Costa, Paulo Sousa and Joao Pinto.. That was a great team but i have faith in the kids that play in the sub-20's and sub-18's squads..

CnC

Ad Oculos
well I think it was a pretty good game, as finals go. I think france had some great offense and could take the ball a long way but Italy was damn good at gettin the ball from that point to the net. But of course, the most memorable event was Zidane's head. Dude got hit by a bus.

Good game, both sides. It even entertained the americans. That means something! :guts:

lost to me

Its easier to just swing my sword..............
so can anyone answer this question about zidane? I was speaking with someone at work today about how it was pretty rediculous to let his career go out like that. Because it was completely his choice to head butt (or "head chest" however you like it) that guy. Only the person whom i was speaking to responded by saying that he's known for his excentricity or acting out (if you will) in games.

is this true? was he in character or out of character by literally asking to get kicked out of the game when he acted like that? :???:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
lost to me said:
Only the person whom i was speaking to responded by saying that he's known for his excentricity or acting out (if you will) in games.

He got 14 red cards in all his career, that should say enough. He's normally a rather quiet and timid person but he's known for this kind of occasional display of a quick temper. I guess he just didn't feel like taking shit from Materazzi anymore (whether it was racist or anything else), who by the way totally overdid the whole falling down thing, as if he'd been hit by a cannonball (while he's huge compared to Zidane himself). It felt like watching La Commedia Dell'arte, but once again that's an integral part of Football so it's hard to cast any judgement on it. There's only Figo that manages to headbutt people and get off without a red card. :void: I think the more interesting part of this event in regard to the FIFA is that they apparently used video to decide on the sanction (though a FIFA official obviously denied it today).

And about Zidane's career, I can tell you that for most people it doesn't change anything much. After all, he still got the FIFA Golden Ball award, that speaks for itself. I think it's going to be more of a moral issue for him since he's an example for a lot of kids and that he always preaches non-violence.

Cannavaro should have won the Golden Ball. Zidane was the sentimental choice; he did nothing during the Group Stages. If anything, France played better without him vs Togo.

Aazealh said:
There's only Figo that manages to headbutt people and get off without a red card. :void:

Figo got a yellow. He should have seen red. That whole Portugal/Holland game was a fiasco.

Aazealh said:
And about Zidane's career, I can tell you that for most people it doesn't change anything much. After all, he still got the FIFA Golden Ball award, that speaks for itself. I think it's going to be more of a moral issue for him since he's an example for a lot of kids and that he always preaches non-violence.

Zidane is the best player in the last 20 years. The best midfielder I've ever seen.

fuxberg said:
Who are the players in the dream team?

They (FIFA's technical study group) picked a squad of 23:

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Jens Lehmann (Germany), Ricardo (Portugal).

Defenders: Roberto Ayala (Argentina), John Terry (England), Lilian Thuram (France), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal).

Midfielders: Ze Roberto (Brazil), Patrick Vieira (France), Zinedine Zidane (France), Michael Ballack (Germany), Andrea Pirlo (Italy), Gennaro Gattuso (Italy), Luis Figo (Portugal), Maniche (Portugal).

Strikers: Hernan Crespo (Argentina), Thierry Henry (France), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Francesco Totti (Italy), Luca Toni (Italy).

This would be my First XI, playing a 4-4-2, from the 23 selected:

Goalkeeper: Buffon.

Defence (from left to right): Lahm, Cannavaro, Ayala, and Zambrotta.

Midfield: Pirlo, Zidane, Gattuso, and Ballack.

Strikers: Klose, and Henry.

The midfield is unbalanced, and I would have Ronaldo on the left and Ribery (after thinking about it) on the right, with Zidane and Pirlo in the middle.

The back 4 and strikers pick themselves for mind. Albeit Thuram comes close to Ayala.

Well this would be my eleven:

GK: Buffon

Defence: Lahm, Cannavaro and Ricardo Carvalho, Thuram

Midfield: Figo, Pirlo and Maniche, Zidane

Attack: Klose and Luca Toni

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
When FIFA takes away Zidane's MVP award, they need to give it to the rightful player...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HblsV-urHg&eurl=

CnC

Ad Oculos
"Griffith No More!" said:
When FIFA takes away Zidane's MVP award, they need to give it to the rightful player...

hehe, well. before the infamous head butt materazzi was holding on to Zidane.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
CnC said:
  But of course, the most memorable event was Zidane's head.  Dude got hit by a bus.
Yea but it was the wrong game like you can see
http://cman.net/wp-content/uploads/mkzidane.gif
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4698/1ad69da8e1f69815f596dfa2e5f2df.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom