Sad State of Affairs Indeed.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, a whole lot’s been happening in the Berserk community lately…oh, no wait, nothing’s been happening at all actually, nothing relating to Berserk anyway. The events of the story may be more important than ever right now; Kentarou Miura’s world is coming into full view but we certainly aren’t seeing it. Rather than generating theories and speculation at this, what should be, exciting time, the board has become a strange gathering place for buffoons (myself included) the world over; a rogues gallery of Berserk fans now and former rambling incoherently about random bullshit and bitching about the fantasy content of series. We decide whether a chapter “totally sucked” or not based a second hand description that’s only a few sentences long. Do we even attempt to look beyond the surface anymore, are we trying to understand the implications of anything? More information on the Berserk world is being revealed than ever, even the coveted Chapter 83 didn’t get this explicit, and still all people can do is make cheap AD&D jokes and lameass MS Paint Berserk covers because all we focus now on are the set pieces. It’s gotten to the point where paradiselost is not only welcome, but missed. Shit people, let’s pull our heads out of our asses, take a look around, and ask ourselves what we’re doing here? The world of Berserk is blooming and we are finally being given the chance to understand how it truly works on every level, the Berserk DVD’s have just been released in the United Sates, and Berserk Volume 23 is coming out tomorrow. There is no excuse, the Berserk community should be bigger and healthier than ever, so why is it in a coma?

“But Griff, Miura has made Berserk teh fantasy AD&D LOTR’s garbage!”

EAT A BAG OF HELL! This series has had fairy dust and elves in it from day one. It’s had a Minotaur with wings. It’s had a 300-pound skeleton fullback with a rose sword and matching shield, and a horse that can fucking fly. It’s had a main character known throughout the land as the BLACK SWORDSMAN who wields the DRAGONSLAYER, how about the whole Goddamn Lost Choldren arc…do I need to continue? I don’t care how blind you were to it before, that’s just as much fucking fantasy as enchanted weapons and witches. How come nobody ever noticed or complained about all this fantasy shit before the Lord of the Rings movie came out? Miura has presented us with the antithesis of God Hand and instead of examining it we’re only complaining about how it doesn’t match with the rest of the series. No shit, I guess he did a good job.

“But Griff, we don’t have teh scans!”

FUCK OFF! I’m not buying it anymore. Are you telling me that out of 800 members worldwide there isn’t one person that can get access to scans? Trust me, I want them just as much as anybody else, and I have no intention of waiting for Volume 24 to see things unfold further. If I have to, I’ll take the cash I put aside for the DVDs, order a subscription to YA instead, and scan the damn chapters myself, just let me know.

-Griffith

I agree for the most part but I thought the fantasy argument (which somebody started ;) ) died a while ago. You're saying the same things that have already been said and there were valid points on both sides. The bottom line is that how one "likes" an artist's work is largely subjective. Maybe we shouldn't care how people react? As long as the objective content is clarified (thank you Olivier), I don't see how people's opinions should really be of concern. This would of course mean posting your opinion would be equally meaningless and that almost defeats the point of a BBS. Anyway... scans would certainly be nice.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, Im just interested in other things right now. Before, Berserk was my ONE hobby. Now, its taken a back seat to everything else.

How to revitalize the community? Well, Ive been here for 3 years, and Ive got one phrase for you: "YA SCANS". This is a very common cycle. Rise and fall of Berserk's popularity in everyones mind is governed by whether or not scans are in consistent distribution.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'm still around, however i got a girlfriend, job, and other things that demand my attention before berserk.

actually its more like the girlfriend demands more time than anything else right now... ah well... such is the good life.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
The only one that can revive the interest in Berserk is Miura himself. But first , he has to revive it in himself, because I feel that, while excellent from a formal point of view, his work lacks the entusiasm (maybe he would like to do something else) of yore. And that is contagious.

BOB

poruno sutâ
The only one that can revive the interest in Berserk is Miura himself. But first , he has to revive it in himself, because I feel that, while excellent from a formal point of view, his work lacks the entusiasm (maybe he would like to do something else) of yore. And that is contagious.

Well i would truly like to actually see that myself.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
well, as i've already said, i find this is normal that fantasy gets in
first, perhaps miura doesn't want to do the same thing till his death or something like that
plus, each arc is independant, in a way ; the story announced that fantasy, and when you think of it, the house of Flora is pretty much like Godo's
they rest in a wise person house, get fully repaired and all ... to guts, flora has made less than godo ... well
eventually, I think this is the last arc of berserk, and they do prepare the final scene that is gonna be explosive ...

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
i made a thread like this months ago... after a while i gave up and turned into a buffoon. back then at bsom there were other topics in the center of discussion. i think it's also because i've already thought about berserk so much and asked you guys so many questions concerning the great manga/anime, i can't think of more right now. besides berserk is no more what it used to be for me a year ago... i got used to it.

BOB

poruno sutâ
Yep. I still post brainless comments out of pure boredom, tho.
Sometimes something good happens like the thread where you asked about spirited away. Awesome movie, thx.

Nevertheless, board quality will never be the same as back then on BSOM or here in the first few months. :'(

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Nevertheless, board quality will never be the same as back then on BSOM or here in the first few months. :'(
did you post at BSOM? i can't remember you...
and why didn't you post more in the first months of this board?

BOB

poruno sutâ
I was afraid to make everything wrong that a nOOb can do wrong. I just waited for information, like the whole discussion on BSOM about the HK DVDs which i actually bought after the threads about the quality. I was a lucky bastard who got working ones ;D
Think i posted enough silly questions, tho.
I just looked on BSOM but the BBS is no longer there and i don't know the nick i used anymore. I changed it to bob because of the simplicity, think i used a few more longer ones back then on discussion boards

Ahhh the good ol times ::)

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
I'm still around. I just have very little to say.

I haven't seen much in the way of intelligent conversation from most of new faces around here, so there's not much incentive to contribute myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm responsible for far more than my fair share of stupidity, and inane childishness, in the past, but I have a hard time believing that the majority of this community are capable of anything besides these qualities.

I think the reactions to the most recent chapter support my belief. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly normal to dislike a drastic change like this. I'm still not sure myself that I like it, but it's the way that the people here have expressed this dislike, tossing their opinions around like empty beer bottles from a drunken hobo, that make this place seem unworthwhile. At least to me.

The community is significantly larger than it used to be. This may seem like a good thing, but to me, it's a very bad thing. I think part of what made things really great about the community, back in the old days, was the fact that ideas were constrained to a very small, very selective group of individuals. Everyone had a chance to be heard.

In the end, however, a lack of new blood, and a perpetual lack of interest that gradually dried up members of that community sorta killed it.

In a bigger community, people's comments get drowned out. Arguing becomes difficult, because in a short time, comments are buried in a heap of similar, as well as dissimilar comments.

People tend to generalize, addressing a whole group of people which, in their eyes, support a similar viewpoint, but in reality, can be quite different in more subtle regards.

This makes for a conversation, which ultimately, is more fast paced, and far less fulfilling.

If there is no room for any real debate, then all there is left to do is blatant trolling and fanboyism. Both of which are very boring in bbs.

I'm sure I had a point when I began writing all of this, but I've since forgotten it.

The_Stick

"Shoot for the moon. That way, if you miss it
Rather than subscribing to YA if you can't, why not just order the current volumes from www.planetanime.com and at least get the scans from those volumes for the time being, then deal with someone getting a subscribtion to YA and willing enough to scan the future chapters for the community. ;)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rather than subscribing to YA if you can't, why not just order the current volumes from www.planetanime.com and at least get the scans from those volumes for the time being, then deal with someone getting a subscribtion to YA and willing enough to scan the future chapters for the community.   ;)
I’ve got a better idea, we’ll get scans for the current YA chapters, and buy the volumes individually! ;)

-Griffith

The_Stick

"Shoot for the moon. That way, if you miss it
And why would you scan the volumes?

I wouldn't mind helping the community by scanning the current chapters from the current volume but my finances at the moment are tight. :-[

Getting to the point... I think we have collectively agreed that the only "acceptable" scans we want to see are those of YA chapters not yet published in a tankoban.

Kuroi-san

Gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?
Quote: Are you telling me that out of 800 members worldwide there isn’t one person that can get access to scans? (I don't know how ta do that fancy thing :-X)

Well... if there was a Japanese bookstore that sold Berserk near my area, I would go get it. Hahaha, such is the advantage of premature facial hair.

But... I don't think so. After searching every comic store everywhere near, I could only find the damn action figures! >:(

I can't order it over the internet. I don't have a credit card (too young) and even if I did, I think my dad would kill me if all 22 volumes was dumped on my doorstep and a delivery man was standing there with an outstretched palm.

But if there is another way... I'm willing to put all my money to get it.

we dont need the volumes, we're not asking for scans of those. we're asking for the newest chaps that CANNOT be found in the volumes yet.

Top Bottom