Nintendo DS

Re: Nintendo DSi

Bit more than just that, actually. From: http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/liveblogging-th.html#more

"13:59: More from Gemaga. As the rumors indicated, the DSi has a larger screen, 3.25 inches. There's a camera, and an audio-playing function. The camera is... goodness. 300,000 pixels? Is that 3 megapixels? You can apparently edit pictures using the touch screen. When playing back sounds, you can adjust the pitch and the playback speed. Why's that important? Why, for studying languages or playing music by ear, of course.

14:00: There's an SD memory card slot so you can dump your pictures right to Wii's photo channel, for example

14:04: Whoa, there's onboard memory apparently, so you can load it up with software... like games. You can download games. With Wii Points. Holy cow. Wii Points will be renamed "Nintendo Points." This just went from "well, interesting" to "must buy."

14:05: Nintendo DS web browser is built in.

14:06: From the "Nintendo DS Shop," you can download "Nintendo DS Ware." Software will be split into four categories: Free, 200, 500, Premium (8oo)"

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

I can forsee them allowing the new DS to magically play older games (NES, maybe SNES?) on the DS :schierke:. Which people can do already... oh well though, improvements are improvements.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, we were expecting a press conference on this today. As you can see, I merged your thread with the one that exists.

dsilogo.jpg

dsi2.jpg
dsi.jpg

Really, there are no surprises. It's essentially exactly like the DS Lite, only it has a slightly larger screen, a 640x480 camera (gross res) and an SD memory port. I guess if it ain't broke... The other announcements were all software-related things, none of which Im terribly excited about.

Oh yeah, and this thing no longer has a GBA port. :judo:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/index.html#event

Nintendo's site has interactive stuff and better pics of the DSi.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head

Kaji-Ryohji said:
http://kotaku.com/5057870/nintendo-announce-new-ds-the-nintendo-dsi

the wii's storage solution

I just want to point out that the Wii's storage solution is that you can now download software directly to SD cards, not the DSi.

Bekul, I don't know if its in your link & I'm too lazy to check, but the DSi will also have both screens being touch, and the touch screens can be used to adjust volume for the MP3 playback feature.

EDIT: Again, too lazy to check but I'm guessing Walter beat me to it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Guts' intestines said:
I just want to point out that the Wii's storage solution is that you can now download software directly to SD cards, not the DSi.
Yeah, what a solution ... it takes forever to store things on memory cards through the Wii. I already have a card full of the larger TG-16CD and PC-Engine games from VC.

Bekul, I don't know if its in your link & I'm too lazy to check, but the DSi will also have both screens being touch, and the touch screens can be used to adjust volume for the MP3 playback feature.
That's news to me, and I couldn't get it confirmed anywhere. Whats your source for the dual-touch feature?

After lots of fact checking, an initial theory of mine turned out to not work. Despite some misinformation in a few news sites, the actual resolution of the DSi appears to be the same as the DS: 256x192.

Guts intestines

Walter said:
That's news to me, and I couldn't get it confirmed anywhere. Whats your source for the dual-touch feature?

Here you go none other than IGN:
The DSi is 3.25 inches thick. It's thinner than the DS Lite by 2.6mm (roughly 12% thinner). Features a built-in .3-megapixel camera equal to a maximum resolution of 640x480 (and you'll be able to edit pictures using the touch-screen). MP3-playback functionality (and you'll be able to change the pitch and playback speed of MP3s with the touch-screen). Both screens are touch-compatible now. There's an SD memory card slot. Meanwhile, you'll be able to buy and download games to internal memory using "Nintendo Points."

The system will include the DS browser software and access to the online Nintendo DS Shop, where you will be able to wirelessly download Nintendo DSWare. Software will be separated into four categories: Free, 200 Points, 500 Points and Premium (800 Points). If you connect even once to the Shop by March 2010, Nintendo will give you 1,000 free Points as a present.

Updated version of the DS Station wireless consoles is in phase two. The kiosks at retailers that allow you to download software. Will be featured at McDonald's kiosks.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/915/915504p1.html

tomorrow I get to hear that conduit news!  :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I actually would normally check IGN first, but for some reason tonight, with the flood of everyone else doing the news, I didnt even bother with my old default. Anyway, thanks. Wonder why no one else seems to be reporting it -- its the largest real improvement to the DS' design.

Some things to keep in mind:
DS: screen is 3" wide ; dimensions are 133mm x 73.9mm x 21.5mm
DSi: screen is 3.25" wide. ; dimensions are 137mm x 74.9mm x 18.9mm
Resolution for both is 256x192.

Posting this stuff here because I couldn't find one place that had all that info. Now we do :guts:

Oh and Nintendo's page has a cool little comparison flash program, showing the physical differences:

dsidifference.jpg

Guts intestines

Walter said:
Ah, I actually would normally check IGN first, but for some reason tonight, with the flood of everyone else doing the  news, I didnt even bother with my old default. Anyway, thanks. Wonder why no one else seems to be reporting it -- its the largest real improvement to the DS' design.

Some things to keep in mind:
DS: screen is 3" wide ; dimensions are 133mm x 73.9mm x 21.5mm
DSi: screen is 3.25" wide. ; dimensions are 137mm x 74.9mm x 18.9mm
Resolution for both is 256x192.

Posting this stuff here because I couldn't find one place that had all that info. Now we do  :guts:

Glad I could be of service *salute* :guts:.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's neat but really not nearly enough for me to buy one to replace my "tank" model. Good for new buyers that don't care about GBA games I guess, even though some NDS games actually use it as well (see Guitar Hero for example).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think they only got rid of the GBA port so it would fit snugly in Soccer Mom's purse. Thanks Soccer Mom.

Was thinking, all these new multimedia additions would go great with a Mario Paint DS, no?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
New Zelda game for DS announced today, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. Still, I can't say I'm too excited. Very little is known right now, but so far it doesn't sound like a REAL addition to the franchise. About as important as, say, Phantom Hourglass.

This is from a live Twitter report of Satoru Iwata's keynote speech at GDC this morning:

"Link has the ability to control/create enemies and make them fight enemies. Railroad mechanic is an extension of Phantom Hourglass boat system -- riding a rail and shooting cannons"

"Looks like a fairly traditional Zelda portable game, with puzzle dungeons and Phantom Hourglass-style touch mechanics. The train basically works like the boat in PH, running along the overworld (presumably on a rail defined by players). Enemy control mechanics look pretty nice -- link distracted a big Zora with a controlled shadow guard, then snuck around to hit it from behind. "
Video: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24126

link_train.jpg

I been playing Devil Survivor the new Shin Megami Tensei game for DS. It's really cool! Everyone who likes this series should pick it up seriously.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Kalie Ma said:
I been playing Devil Survivor the new Shin Megami Tensei game for DS. It's really cool! Everyone who likes this series should pick it up seriously.
Actually, I'd considered buying that just yesterday but instead got GTA: Chinatown Wars.

And let me say... this game is fucking awesome. It's amazing how much Rockstar has crammed into this tiny cartridge. It's really got everything you'd expect from a GTA game, just from a different (overhead) perspective. But to quote Lavar Burton, "You don't have to take my word for it! (*doo doo DO*) Just check out the metacritic reviews. There's a slew of perfect scores in there.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/grandtheftautochinatownwars

I'm only about 4 hours in so far, but I'd give it about a 90 or so. It's definitely fun, and no doubt a truly impressive feat by Rockstar, but despite the polish and ingenuity, I can't shake the feeling that the GTA formula is showing its frayed edges after so many iterations.

SaiyajinNoOuji

May be a little late for the party on this one but FF4 for the DS is awesome... also its a fuck ton harder then its SNES version.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
May be a little late for the party on this one but FF4 for the DS is awesome... also its a fuck ton harder then its SNES version.
Yeah I've been slowly playing through it since about March. It's the definitive version of the game as far as I'm concerned. The added scenes explaining Golbez a little more were a welcome addition. I'm currently gearing up for the final battle. I can only imagine how ridiculous Zeromus is going to be in this version, so I've just been powerleveling my party in the final dungeon. Typical FF strategy =).

SaiyajinNoOuji

Yea same here. I have been uber grinding but found that it doesn't solve 99% of the battles like the older versions. Have to use the hell out of slow and haste and other things to win some battles. Also screw those behemoths in Bahamut's cave! :mozgus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Yea same here. I have been uber grinding but found that it doesn't solve 99% of the battles like the older versions. Have to use the hell out of slow and haste and other things to win some battles. Also screw those behemoths in Bahamut's cave! :mozgus:
Yep. I've never used Slow and Stop so much in an FF game before. They're vital spells. So many of these random encounters can kill most of the party in 1-2 hits. It's ridiculous... With the behemoths, the cheap trick I used was using Blink on everyone in the party. He'll miss every time.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Draw attacks + Counter is the most broken way to win the game, every one target attack will go to the person with that equipped and then BAM counter attack. I lost my save data like 20 hours into the game, I haven't touched it since then, which might be due to the fact that I played all the minigames like crazy and got really good scores on them after hours of enemy tapping, math equationing, and timed screen tapping.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
Yep. I've never used Slow and Stop so much in an FF game before. They're vital spells. So many of these random encounters can kill most of the party in 1-2 hits. It's ridiculous... With the behemoths, the cheap trick I used was using Blink on everyone in the party. He'll miss every time.
Mine was much more risky as I would cast offensive magic in which he did that spell that would lower everyone's hp to 1 except for Cecil (Had the Aegis shield). In which I would just keep Cecil healed as he would just cover everyone else. I suppose that's the poor mans draw ability.

In anycase, another decent game is Sukoden Teikres (or something like that). Its a fun game but kind of easy. My next game to beat is going to be Disgea, then Front Mission. Going to try to get level 9999 in Disgea.

Top Bottom