Vagabond Returns (Spoilers).

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Volume 21 is out tomorrow!

• pd6012.jpg
    pd6105.jpg

Ahh, I've been waiting for this for bloody ages. I know a few people on the boards here at SK.net are following the series *coughWaltercough*, so I wanted to share the joy I'm experiencing right now. Volume 22 is also out soon, dated at Aug. 15.. this is great, but isn't the series just at 22 in Japan? I know Inoue took some sort of hiatus from the series.. but man, Viz is eager to put this one out!

Anyway, I figured this might become a Vagabond Discussion thread of sorts, for the people avidly following it. And also for those who aren't... shame on you :puck:

Edit: Did VIZ change the look of the manga again?! They are a collectors worst nightmare.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Vagabond Returns.

Uriel said:
Volume 21 is out tomorrow!
Actually, it's been out for about 2 weeks now. :guts: Viz apparently shipped it early. I was in a Borders bookstore (the only bookstore chain that carries Vagabond...) 2 weeks ago, and checked for it on a whim, and there it sat, waiting for me. I called Griff and told him, and sure enough, even in CA, Vagabond 21 had shipped early. So go check now!
Ahh, I've been waiting for this for bloody ages. I know a few people on the boards here at SK.net are following the series *coughWaltercough*, so I wanted to share the joy I'm experiencing right now.
I've been experiencing it for 2 weeks! I just finished re-reading through volume 1-21 yesterday too, so I'm on a bit of a Vagabond high.

Volume 22 is also out soon, dated at Aug. 15.. this is great, but isn't the series just at 22 in Japan? I know Inoue took some sort of hiatus from the series.. but man, Viz is eager to put this one out!
23 is coming out June 23rd in Japan (Viz has it slated for Oct. 24). Me and Griff have been keeping up with the episodes (or is it chapters for Vagabond...? no one seems to know). Plenty of cool stuff still to happen in this arc. :carcus:

Edit: Did VIZ change the look of the manga again?! They are a collectors worst nightmare.
Not really, just a small new Viz logo on the cover and theyve changed their "Editor's Choice" to "Viz Signature Series." Other than the new logo at the top, the spine looks the same, and that's all that really matters to me as far as uniformity is concerned.

And don't go dissing Viz, I've never had this good a corporation/consumer relationship before. They're hot on the heels of the japanese releases, and they release really quick, with little to no errors (I can't find any anyway...). I wish Dark Horse treated Berserk as well as Viz does Vagabond.

PS: POST HERE ONCE YOU GUYS GET IT, cause I'd like to talk about it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Volume 23 cover, courtesy of none other than Aazealh.​

S

smoke

Say, I might buy this if I come across it, because if a bunch of Berserk fans like it, well it's gotta be good. But...

WHAT'S THIS CRAZY THING ABOUT? :SK:

Griffith

In a nutshell, it's about the life and times of Miyamoto Musashi and his greatest rival, Sasaki Kojiro.

Uriel

Wow... the VIZ site told me nothing but lies! :judo:

Walter said:
Me and Griff have been keeping up with the episodes (or is it chapters for Vagabond...? no one seems to know). Plenty of cool stuff still to happen in this arc. :carcus:
How have you been keeping up?.. I can only go so far as Volume 22.

And yeah, sorry about dissing VIZ in my first post. They are doing a great job with the series, so all is taken back :serpico:

"Griffith No More!" said:

Volume 23 cover, courtesy of none other than Aazealh.​
Beautiful.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Uriel said:
How have you been keeping up?.. I can only go so far as Volume 22.

They know a certain man. Hint: read the posts you're quoting again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

jackson_hurley said:
i only have vol1 so far cause i suck and have too many series to keep up to date :judo:
The story really takes off after volume 3, in my opinion. Keep up with it and I'm sure you'll be addicted in no time.

Chiba

Proud owner of a Dragonslayer

I'm also a big fan of Vagabond, I read volume 21 a few weeks ago. As with Berserk, I guess I'll have to re-read it one day, cause I notice with every new volume that I already forgot a lot of the previous story.
The art is gorgeous (not quite as good as Berserk, but still ;)) and I really like the way Inoue tells the story.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Chiba said:
The art is gorgeous (not quite as good as Berserk, but still ;)) and I really like the way Inoue tells the story.

I gotta disagree there. I think the art is pretty much unmatched in comics, asian or otherwise. The art is pretty much the only reason I buy Vagabond. I haven't followed the plot at all, since I barely know any Japanese and I had no idea it was even being translated in the states till today.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Wereallmad said:
I gotta disagree there. I think the art is pretty much unmatched in comics, asian or otherwise.

Well in turn I'll have to disagree with you myself then. I like Inoue's art a lot, but I certainly don't think it's unmatched, and I don't find it as good as Berserk's either. Different styles, though, and I like to think of them as complementary.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Aazealh said:
Well in turn I'll have to disagree with you myself then. I like Inoue's art a lot, but I certainly don't think it's unmatched, and I don't find it as good as Berserk's either. Different styles, though, and I like to think of them as complementary.

You're entitled to your opinion, even when it's wrong :troll:.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Wereallmad said:
You're entitled to your opinion, even when it's wrong :troll:.

Yeah, but since I'm right anyway it's not a problem. :badbone: BTW, I think you should really try to actually read the manga, it wouldn't be half as popular if it was just for the art. :casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

I know, that's why I said that. Especially since from what Wally and Griffith have been telling me Viz is doing a masterful job with it. It's up to you though.

Griffith

I love both Inoue and Miura, so this is a fun debate for me, and I think the Musashi/Kojiro analogy pretty perfectly sums it up. While Inoue's style and technique are unmatched, Miura has the ultimate no-style. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

"Griffith No More!" said:
I love both Inoue and Miura, so this is a fun debate for me, and I think the Musashi/Kojiro analogy pretty perfectly sums it up. While Inoue's style and technique are unmatched, Miura has the ultimate no-style. =)
It's really hard for me to pick sides. As artists, they're difficult to compare honestly. Especially since with Berserk, we can see Miura's huge range of artistic and stylistic progress across over 17 years. But with Inoue, who I've been following since Slam Dunk (early-mid 90s), while his art has drastically improved, his style has remained the same. Vagabond's just a lot more ... focused than his earlier work.

However, Inoue's also made a lot of interesting progress just in the past 5 years with his panels. He's done amazing things with perspective and some of the more subtle details of comic art that I think are more important to the narration of the story than superficial details. That's not to say Miura hasn't either, I just think Inoue's made them more an essential part of his storytelling than Miura has.

I won't pick sides though, I'm glad they're both working at the same time. Keeps them on their toes. :guts:

Griffith

Inoue is more polished, methodical, realistic, and almost systemized in his artwork (and writing). If anything, since the early Vagabond volumes, he's simplified and refined what he does to perfection (and he obviously works fast, it's like he just sketches some parts, and it's beautiful). Miura on the other hand, as I said, seemingly has no set style, he's constantly evolving and experimenting; you never know what to expect on any given page. It's not as efficient or consistant, it's busier and even messy, and it takes a lot of time, but there's also a lot more to it when all is said and done (like each page in Berserk is as detailed and unique as an individual piece). I see some of everything in his work from Inoue to Disney to Bill Watterson, yet he's truly an original everytime he goes to the page. I affectionately think of him as ultimate drawer.

Anyway, to me it boils down to a battle of style versus substance (they each obviously have both), and what breaks the tie for me is that if they had to switch places, I think Miura would be able to reasonably recreate Vagabond within his own range and style; I can't say the same about Inoue and Berserk.

Wereallmad

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

Aazealh said:
I know, that's why I said that. Especially since from what Wally and Griffith have been telling me Viz is doing a masterful job with it. It's up to you though.

I definately have an interest, but maaan. Not only would I be buying 1-19 over again, but at more than twice the price. I still haven't bought a single issue of the darkhorse version of Berserk either for that matter.

I probably will eventually, but luxry goods are low on my list of priorities atm.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Wereallmad said:
...but at more than twice the price. I still haven't bought a single issue of the darkhorse version of Berserk either for that matter.

I probably will eventually, but luxry goods are low on my list of priorities atm.
I can understand that. For years, I was in the same shoes you were. I own the japanese Vagabonds 1-7, and I was just buying it for the art, though I really didnt care for the series until I started reading the Viz editions (Griff turned me onto it about 2 years ago). Seriously... the translation, obviously enough, makes all the difference, especially for such a dialogue based series. Berserk is much more visually oriented, in my opinion, and thus easier to at least superficially follow without translation.

I'm still buying the DH Berserks myself (I only have the most recent 5). But Viz sells volumes 5-21 for $9.95 each (1-4 are $12.95) which is a steal compared to DH's $14.95 for Berserk. (especially since the cover and print quality is much better for Vagabond...).

I hate to keep sounding like a commercial for Inoue but, Vagabond's one of the best investments I've made in a long time. It's food for thought.

Uriel

Out of curiosity... who here has read Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi?

Top Bottom